Old 04 January 2009, 22:26   #1
Van

Town: Auckland
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Super 15
Towing a SIB

Hi to all and a happy new year.

Finally took the time to register after almost a year of reading the interesting articles on "SIBing".

I am the proud owner of a Quicksilver 340 sport paired with a Mercury Super 15. Most dealers have advised against towing the boat with the motor mounted on the transom due to the pressure applied to the transom during transport, especially over long periods and poor roads.

Has anyone out there developed a motor support bracket that I can build?

PS. I also have the issue of excessive spray comming into the boat under speed, but find that the "dinghy mate" plastic dolly wheels fitted, act as deflectors when positiones parallel to the water surface. Might be a quick fix to raising the transom etc.

Regards
Van
Old 04 January 2009, 22:54   #2

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Engine: Mariner 15
I have a similar outfit and I'm not keen on towing with engine attached I prefer to carry the engine in the boot of the car.

Maybe a set of Doel Fins would help there have been quite a few threads on here about them I haven't really encountered the same problem
Old 05 January 2009, 00:46   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Hola Van

2 issues: (1) are you towing the boat & engine on a trailer ? Or on sea by another sib/Rib ?
(2) splashing) remove dolly whels, go wot on second hole from transom, distribute weight towards middle /bow and see if water splashes. If Mercury Super 15 is made by Tohatsu in Japan, will splash, go to your owners manual and look for transom bottom/anticav plate distance data, if outside of parameters (too low) will definitely splash as water is hitting against exhaust chamber (tail) no matter what you do will splash, the opt solution, raise transom. Check related previos thread : http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27822 to have an idea.

Make the splash test to discard if it's produced by dolly wheels or tail, or both, and tell us how it went.

Happy Sibbing
Old 05 January 2009, 16:26   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
2 issues: (1) are you towing the boat & engine on a trailer ? Or on sea by another sib/Rib ?
Quote:
Most dealers have advised against towing the boat with the motor mounted on the transom due to the pressure applied to the transom during transport, especially over long periods and poor roads
Hopefully he's towing on a trailer. As "super" as the Merc Super 15 is, I doubt is has the power to propel the craft for too long or too far over a bad road without help.

The big thing is to limit the amount of fore-aft force applied to the transom on rough roads. Most of that force comes from the pendulum effect of the motor. Since it's that kinetic energy imparted to the motor mass that you (or the dealer) is concerned about, you need a transom saver. Basically, it's a support bracket that transfers load from the engine to the trailer.

Here's one of the cheaper commercial alternatives: http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....productID=6325

The rubber V block cradles the motor's lower end, and the other end of the shaft goes to the rear trailer cross-member (either cradling a roller, or to a bolt-on bracket, depending on what you have on your trailer.) This particular unit has a spring-loaded section, so it compresses a bit as you lower the motor onto it. Note that I do not endorse this particular product (mine lasted something less than a year before it rusted into uselessness); it's shown as an example. You can fab up something similar for *much* less money. (The spring, IMO, is superfluous, and something akin to a wooden block with a bit of carpeting would do for the rubber V-block.)

Luck;

jky
Old 05 January 2009, 21:00   #5
Van

Town: Auckland
Engine: Mercury Super 15
Towing a SIB

Thanks for the advice everyone (and the humor). Will check out the options but am growing more confident that towing with the motor in place would not be too good a long term solution.

Might as well consider the lifting and mounting of motor as part of my ongoing annual resolution to get more fit.

Tightlines
Old 06 January 2009, 04:01   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone (and the humor). Will check out the options but am growing more confident that towing with the motor in place would not be too good a long term solution.

Might as well consider the lifting and mounting of motor as part of my ongoing annual resolution to get more fit.

Tightlines
If you have a proper trailer that supports well both tubes including transom, you won't be needing a tow bar, will need to have a correctly inflated sib to at least 3.0 psi in all chambers to hold/compensate engine movement/vibration. Been towing for years in all sorts of terrains, roads without a tow bar. Anyway use moderate speed while towing and avoid road bumps, holes, etc.

Happy Sibbing