Old 01 May 2008, 15:46   #1

Town: Gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
Towing a SIB

Hi, need some advice please!

Me and my dad have a 4.3m quicksilver with 25hp on a home made trailer (tralier weighs about 100ish kg), i'm a poor student so am getting a more economical car that would tow the boat/trailer for when me and the girlfriend go away.

The car in mind is a 1.4 TD ford fiesta, that will tow 750kg braked towing weight with 118lb-ft of torque. I know it'll tow the weight ok but is it going to be ok on slip ways ect? or would i be better getting something like a 1.8 TD focus instead?

Thanks for any comments
Old 01 May 2008, 16:16   #2
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
Might be ok, just use a long line on the slipways so you aren't in the water.

Also depends on the type of slipways you are going to be launching off.

I have a 1.8 Focus but never launched with it on a slipway.
Old 01 May 2008, 20:25   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
For that boat you really won't have any issues. I used to tow a 4.1m RIB with a 40hp mariner on it around with my 1.1l Punto when I first started uni. Was fine on the slip. If cash isn't too much of any issue, I'd get the Focus though; much nicer to drive IMHO.
Old 02 May 2008, 17:39   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Dont think you will have problems towing ,though with it having front wheel drive the wheels may slip a bit on steep or slippery slipways .what we do is turn the car around and fasten a length of decent rope to the front towing eye of the car and not the bumper.but make sure its strong enough, and then to the trailor and go down and up the slipway that way. you can also see the boat in the water better ,also depending on the slipway you might be able to keep the car off the weedy or muddy slippy bit, revese gear is usually lower than first gear so when going back up hill theres less strain on the clutch. the only draw back is that you need someone to drive the car and someone to guide the trailor when on the slip, and remember to tie the rope on ,we have seen a few lifeboat style launches down slipways because some one forgot to tie the car to the trailor. happy boating martin.
Old 02 May 2008, 17:52   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Dont think you will have problems towing ,though with it having front wheel drive the wheels may slip a bit on steep or slippery slipways .what we do is turn the car around and fasten a length of decent rope to the front towing eye of the car and not the bumper.but make sure its strong enough, and then to the trailor and go down and up the slipway that way. you can also see the boat in the water better ,also depending on the slipway you might be able to keep the car off the weedy or muddy slippy bit, revese gear is usually lower than first gear so when going back up hill theres less strain on the clutch. the only draw back is that you need someone to drive the car and someone to guide the trailor when on the slip, and remember to tie the rope on ,we have seen a few lifeboat style launches down slipways because some one forgot to tie the car to the trailor. happy boating martin.