Old 16 March 2013, 15:20   #21

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe treme View Post
If you have space (and trailer) for a solid-hulled rib, there are fewer compromises and no worries about getting the floor pressure right. You might also find the range of lightweight aluminium hulled ribs (not alu floor sib) of interest. I know the Xpro and Highfield brands offer a good selection at good prices. You can view them both at:
Seaswift Boats » The Home of great deals on RIBs & Inflatable boats
If i could I would, I certainly have the space. But I find it really hard finding a decent second hand one for the right price. Most of the decent second hand ones come with an outboard and I certainly don't want to sell mine because it is a brilliant engine and I can't believe how lucky I was to source it. Lets hope I am as lucky with sourcing a decent rib and I am with sourcing my engine! Haha

Thanks byu the way
Old 16 March 2013, 20:24   #22

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
IMHO the problems,cost,time and worry of using and owning a SIB are far less than using and owning a trailerable boat. You may in future be hankering after just having to deal with the current challenges mentioned.
Old 16 March 2013, 20:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
IMHO the problems,cost,time and worry of using and owning a SIB are far less than using and owning a trailerable boat. You may in future be hankering after just having to deal with the current challenges mentioned.
sib stays right on the trailor all year round anyway. Also I think I will get much better performance with a RIB I.e a 350 it light, more streamline, deeper hull, reduced cavitation etc etc.
Old 16 March 2013, 23:21   #24

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
I have the same boat as you and mine does the same thing if you turn it hard. I did ask about it at Samspeed marine (I live in Gloucester) and the engineer there said it is to do with the shape of the hull. He said that it will splash or cavitate and that there isn't really much you can do stop it doing at least one of them. I've tried and I have come to the conclusion he is right. Trimmed out one notch seems to be the best balance I can get. It only cavitates in hard turns or extreme acceleration and splashes at +75% throttle.

Launch and recovery of my SIB I found to be particularly difficult (especially the latter). Eventually I discovered that submerging the trailer to the point where the boat could beach on it (only floating freely towards the engine) then lifting the front of the boat and dragging it to a position where pulling the trailer out would not cause the boat to move in relation to the trailer; was the best way. I had to have some guide posts made to stop the thing moving laterally.

I did have a picture of a recovery but I can't find it. Anyway's about 2/3 of the bunks in the water works for my trailer and you can see the guide posts in the pics Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0084.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	77674 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	77675

You aren't far away so let me know if you want to see my it in action. I'm no expert btw, has all been trial and error!
Old 16 March 2013, 23:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD View Post
I have the same boat as you and mine does the same thing if you turn it hard. I did ask about it at Samspeed marine (I live in Gloucester) and the engineer there said it is to do with the shape of the hull. He said that it will splash or cavitate and that there isn't really much you can do stop it doing at least one of them. I've tried and I have come to the conclusion he is right. Trimmed out one notch seems to be the best balance I can get. It only cavitates in hard turns or extreme acceleration and splashes at +75% throttle.

Launch and recovery of my SIB I found to be particularly difficult (especially the latter). Eventually I discovered that submerging the trailer to the point where the boat could beach on it (only floating freely towards the engine) then lifting the front of the boat and dragging it to a position where pulling the trailer out would not cause the boat to move in relation to the trailer; was the best way. I had to have some guide posts made to stop the thing moving laterally.

I did have a picture of a recovery but I can't find it. Anyway's about 2/3 of the bunks in the water works for my trailer and you can see the guide posts in the pics Attachment 77674 Attachment 77675

You aren't far away so let me know if you want to see my it in action. I'm no expert btw, has all been trial and error!
where do you launch? Just out of interest, you anr't the guy I sold my 2.6m sunsport with a 4hp mariner to is it?!! I would love to go for a 'sib session' some time haha!
Old 17 March 2013, 00:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
where do you launch? Just out of interest, you anr't the guy I sold my 2.6m sunsport with a 4hp mariner to is it?!! I would love to go for a 'sib session' some time haha!
I normally launch at Upton on Severn Marina (and even that was a pain in the arse before the guide posts!), launched / recovered at Falmouth harbour and Helford yacht club (they were both total nightmares). It was like playing pin the tail on a donkey that had taken Amphetamine and spent every spare moment on a bouncy castle!

Nope you never sold me a boat. Excellent on the SIB session front. We shall have to sort something out. I went to Lyme regis today to look at a Seaswift 435... was a terrible boat but on the plus side I discovered the slipway there! Fantastic
Old 17 March 2013, 00:31   #27

Quote:
I normally launch at Upton on Severn Marina (and even that was a pain in the arse before the guide posts!), launched / recovered at Falmouth harbour and Helford yacht club (they were both total nightmares). It was like playing pin the tail on a donkey that had taken Amphetamine and spent every spare moment on a bouncy castle!

Nope you never sold me a boat. Excellent on the SIB session front. We shall have to sort something out. I went to Lyme regis today to look at a Seaswift 435... was a terrible boat but on the plus side I discovered the slipway there! Fantastic
haha, I keep my boat up on the gower because that is where I spend my summer, do you ever venture around there? It is fab! What hp do you have on the back of yours?
Old 17 March 2013, 00:45   #28

Quote:
haha, I keep my boat up on the gower because that is where I spend my summer, do you ever venture around there? It is fab! What hp do you have on the back of yours?
No but my brother loves it there. I have a 20HP 4 stroke on mine.... It's a heavy lump but I bought it from new. I ALWAYS wanted a boat and I've become strangely attached to what I have hehe
Old 17 March 2013, 00:47   #29

Quote:
No but my brother loves it there. I have a 20HP 4 stroke on mine.... It's a heavy lump but I bought it from new. I ALWAYS wanted a boat and I've become strangely attached to what I have hehe
I think I am going to get a RIB. I love the 350 wetline, lovely boats. I want a center console for rough weather. You get lots of rough weather along the gower out of the bay and i am restricted with the SIB and tiller.
Old 17 March 2013, 00:59   #30

Quote:
I think I am going to get a RIB. I love the 350 wetline, lovely boats. I want a center console for rough weather. You get lots of rough weather along the gower out of the bay and i am restricted with the SIB and tiller.
I'm planning to go for something completely different. I want a Quicksilver 430 Activ Cabin. SIBs are great value for money but they aren't what any of us really want.
Old 17 March 2013, 01:02   #31

Quote:
I'm planning to go for something completely different. I want a Quicksilver 430 Activ Cabin. SIBs are great value for money but they aren't what any of us really want.
True that. Don't want to upset an SIB lovers though

Old 17 March 2013, 01:04   #32

SIBs are a great compromise though and amazing fun. But I bought mine to see if it was something I really wanted to ruin myself throwing money at... I do hehe
Old 17 March 2013, 01:10   #33

Quote:
SIBs are a great compromise though and amazing fun. But I bought mine to see if it was something I really wanted to ruin myself throwing money at... I do hehe
I originally bought a 2.6m 4 horse power brand new tender. It was a good boat and did what it was intended for and that was get me out into the bay and fish. Parents always saying 'can we water ski off it?' I also realized that my boat was not just a tool for gettting me out there, it was a great source of fun.
So I decided to go bigger. Sold most of my other passion away (reptiles) to fund the bigger boat.

Don't regret buying my current boat at all. I am so happy with the engine it is unreal. Can't believe how lucky I was to get the model I have. I was trolling the gumtree ads and I found my outboard listed...£1500! Mine was £1700 with the SIB and trailer BARGAIN!

But yeh, now I know what I really want and that is a RIB. Problem is once I get a small rib I will want a bigger rib, then bigger and bigger until I am bank crupt! Where do you stop eh?
Old 17 March 2013, 01:19   #34

I suppose it is knowing what is not possible. You should go to the Southampton boat show. It is normal to want more but when you see what is possible (if you are loaded enough) then you either want some of it or accept that you won't be able to do that.
Old 17 March 2013, 01:22   #35

Quote:
I originally bought a 2.6m 4 horse power brand new tender. It was a good boat and did what it was intended for and that was get me out into the bay and fish. Parents always saying 'can we water ski off it?' I also realized that my boat was not just a tool for gettting me out there, it was a great source of fun.
So I decided to go bigger. Sold most of my other passion away (reptiles) to fund the bigger boat.

Don't regret buying my current boat at all. I am so happy with the engine it is unreal. Can't believe how lucky I was to get the model I have. I was trolling the gumtree ads and I found my outboard listed...£1500! Mine was £1700 with the SIB and trailer BARGAIN!

But yeh, now I know what I really want and that is a RIB. Problem is once I get a small rib I will want a bigger rib, then bigger and bigger until I am bank crupt! Where do you stop eh?
I'm not saying you can't do whatever you want, Just that it isn't always possible.
Old 17 March 2013, 12:57   #36

I am currently in the process of downsizing, the most important thing to me is being able to get on the water with ease. With kids grown up I now have no crew and find sibs , small sailing dinghy a and sit on top kayaks the best way of getting out there, which for me is what it's all about.
Old 17 March 2013, 13:25   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
I am currently in the process of downsizing, the most important thing to me is being able to get on the water with ease. With kids grown up I now have no crew and find sibs , small sailing dinghy a and sit on top kayaks the best way of getting out there, which for me is what it's all about.
what are you downsizing from buddy?
Old 17 March 2013, 19:34   #38

Unfortunately I am a habitual boat buyer, had a yacht ,shetland motorboat and 5m powerboat to name a few. I think you got a very good deal with your 25 & honwave. I have stopped thinking about money and boat ownership together as I just get depressed. Now I am a big advocate for small boat ownership and hire of a big one.