Old 22 November 2010, 18:07   #1

Length: no boat
Thoughts on a 1.8mm PVC SIB?

Hi all,

I found a manufacturer in China that can build a 1.8mm 430 SIB (Korean PVC) with 14cm straking on the bottom. Reputable and builds boats for a number of "brands", also certified.

My question: has anyone been in a 1.8mm PVC SIB? I suspect it would be stiffer than a 0.9mm by a large margin but not sure.

RIB won't work for me as I need to do lots of beaching and some launching by hand.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 22 November 2010, 19:09   #2

Town: Trelogan
Boat name: Supacat
Make: TT-Supacat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
Hi all,

I found a manufacturer in China that can build a 1.8mm 430 SIB (Korean PVC) with 14cm straking on the bottom. Reputable and builds boats for a number of "brands", also certified.

My question: has anyone been in a 1.8mm PVC SIB? I suspect it would be stiffer than a 0.9mm by a large margin but not sure.

RIB won't work for me as I need to do lots of beaching and some launching by hand.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Hi,
I had some boats made for me in 1.2mm high grade PVC and they are bloody strong. Put them next to a standard 0.9mm RIB or Sib and the difference in quality is instantly recognisable.
1.8mm I presume would be even stronger which has got to be a good thing. To give you some idea I drove up the road from my house with the boat behind on its trailer and my 4 year old son who was sat next to me released his seat belt messing around, I slowed down and tryed to put his belt back on and unknowingly I had dragged the boat tubes along a stone wall to the extent that it moved the boat (and connected outboard) accross the trailer.It did not puncture the tubes at all but scarred the rubbing strake and put a few surface scars on the tube,which was a relief as I was taking the boat to my caravan to use.
Anything that makes the tubes stronger has got to be a good thing but the trade off is a little extra weight...I know what I would rather have.

Howy
Old 30 November 2010, 15:04   #3

Length: no boat
Thanks. Did you notice if the thicker PVC gave it a better ride with less flexing?