Old 18 May 2008, 13:47   #1

Length: no boat
Thinking of buying a RIB. Few Questions?

I am thinking of buying a RIB or maybe a speedboat. If i do i only have maybe £3k to play with.

1). What sort of training or qualifications do you need in order to go out to sea?
2). Can you go out solo to sea, or do you have to make sure at least 2 of you?
3). What equipment do you have to have?
4). Do you think a RIB is better choice than a speed boat?
5). What sort of cost is insurance?

Thanks
Old 18 May 2008, 13:58   #2

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi

1). What sort of training or qualifications do you need in order to go out to sea?

None, but you should have at least RYA Level 2

2). Can you go out solo to sea, or do you have to make sure at least 2 of you?

Yes you can go out to sea Solo as long as you keep a good lookout

3). What equipment do you have to have?

None, But here is a bit of a list-

Anchor, Chain and Warp
Bucket or Bailer
Hand Held Compass
Sharp knife
Boat Hook
Foghorn – Trump
Charts & Tide Table
Flares
Waterproof torch
Lines/Ropes
Spare fuel
Basic Tool Kit
Fire Extinguisher
VHF handheld
Dry Bag
Paddles or Aux Engine
1st Aid Kit
Small Radar Reflector

Essential Personal Equipment
Warm clothing
Waterproof clothing
Personal Buoyancy

Optional Fixed Equipment
Fixed Compass
VHF DSC radio
GPS
Depth Sounder / Fishfinder
Navigation lights

Long Distance Equipment
Radar Reflector
Liferaft
406 EPIRB with GPS
Navtex
Satphone
Sea Anchor

4). Do you think a RIB is better choice than a speed boat?

Yes

5). What sort of cost is insurance?

About 2% of the boats value per year

Hope this helps

Jono
Old 18 May 2008, 15:47   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Thats a tight budget. It all depends what you want to use the boat for and do you need a trailer?

Normal speedboats tend to be a lot cheaper than RIBs.
Old 18 May 2008, 15:55   #4

yeah from looking around speedboats do seem much cheaper. I just want a boat that i can take out to sea and go fast and fun with. Not going to be taking it on long trips or anything.
Old 18 May 2008, 16:24   #5

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
None, but you should have at least RYA Level 2
I disagree.

It is not necessary to have any qualifications to go out on the sea and enjoy yourself.

Some common sense comes in very handy though.
Old 18 May 2008, 16:25   #6

The best places to look are places like

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk

and

http://www.adtrader.co.uk/postcode_splash.php

Don't just buy the shiniest boat you see. Some of the old British speedboats like Fletchers are much better in our waters than the Yank ones - they just look less bling!!!

You will need an anchor - some flares - and some paddles. Also lifejackets but there is no need to go over the top for a quick blast around the bay on a nice day.

A Handheld VHF is great and only about £90 but you will need to get a licence for it. A mobile phone is better than nothing but put it into a small freezer bag so if you end up in the water it will still work!!!
Old 18 May 2008, 16:29   #7

yeah i've seen a few of those fletcher speed boats, they seem quite good. Are the OK in the sea? They seem quite small some of them??
Old 18 May 2008, 19:41   #8

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
I disagree.

It is not necessary to have any qualifications to go out on the sea and enjoy yourself.

and using that common scense, a level 2 would be a good starting point.
Old 18 May 2008, 19:53   #9

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
and using that common scense, a level 2 would be a good starting point.
Perhaps, but by no means the only option. I am a firm believer that, if one is confident enough in one's own ability, there is *no substitute* for simply getting out there and doing it.

I am not really anti formal training, but I definitely don't think it can be all-things-to-all-men/women.
Old 18 May 2008, 20:07   #10

Town: Fareham
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 175Hp
Quote:
yeah i've seen a few of those fletcher speed boats, they seem quite good. Are the OK in the sea? They seem quite small some of them??
A friend of mine has a little 14 or 16 foot fletcher with a 40hp on the back. Its some serious fun on a nice sunny day for 2 people who don't mind the bumps but im not sure it would be too great a family boat nor too comfortable in the rough stuff.
Old 18 May 2008, 20:14   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Buy a new or newish sib. For £3k you're gonna get a dog of a speedboat or rib that's going to be a liability on the water. For the money you're looking to spend you'll get a nice Honwave 3.something with a newish 15hp or there abouts outboard. Lots of fun and no break-downs. Build your experience and your bank balance, perhaps and move up in good time.
Old 18 May 2008, 21:47   #12

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Quote:
Perhaps, but by no means the only option. I am a firm believer that, if one is confident enough in one's own ability, there is *no substitute* for simply getting out there and doing it.

I am not really anti formal training, but I definitely don't think it can be all-things-to-all-men/women.
Thats why sea side rescue is filmed in the solent and not wales.
Old 18 May 2008, 23:07   #13

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Buy a new or newish sib. For £3k you're gonna get a dog of a speedboat or rib that's going to be a liability on the water. For the money you're looking to spend you'll get a nice Honwave 3.something with a newish 15hp or there abouts outboard. Lots of fun and no break-downs. Build your experience and your bank balance, perhaps and move up in good time.
Old 18 May 2008, 23:11   #14

Quote:

Couldn't agree more!!!
Old 18 May 2008, 23:12   #15

Quote:
Not always the case. There seem to be quite a few around at that price. Of course you have to know what to look for when you buy one!!!
Old 19 May 2008, 06:54   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I'm with Mollers 100% on this one.

For your budget you could buy a brand new 3.8m heavy duty inflatable, a good used Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke outboard, a brand new trailer if you wanted one, and still have a few hundred quid left over for some basic equipment and a training course. You'll have a versatile and reliable boat that you can just go out and use. It will be cheap to run as well.

Alternatively you could buy a very knackered RIB that needs refurbishing, or a twenty year old speedboat of dubious heritage. Either way you will almost certainly need to spend more money as soon as you buy the boat, because there will be more wrong with it than you realised. Your 20 year old outboard is likely to be unreliable - at best this will screw up your weekend, at worst it may leave you stranded somewhere - then it will almost certainly cost you well into three figures to fix it (and of course it will be out of action for the only two weeks of good weather this summer!). Oh, and a search here for "trailer" will give you some idea of how much use a tired and neglected trailer is likely to be . . .

You might be lucky and find a decent cheap old speedboat or RIB, but if you actually want to go boating (rather than starting an expensive project) then it's unlikely to be the best option.

Whatever you choose, let us know how you get on!

John
Old 19 May 2008, 07:02   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I disagree.

Getting some training is definitely a good idea - why learn the hard way? An RYA level 2 course is a couple of days of good fun that will set you up with all the basics that you need to know to get the most from your boating.

However, it's not something you absolutely have to do before you take a boat onto the sea. Have a read through some on the information here, get hold of a book like Paul Glatzel's RYA Powerboat Handbook (now are you going to pay for that trade membership Paul? ), find somewhere sheltered where things are unlikely to go too badly wrong, and have a good time.

John
Old 19 May 2008, 09:39   #18

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Hi, welcome to ribnet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Alternatively you could buy a very knackered RIB that needs refurbishing, or a twenty year old speedboat of dubious heritage. Either way you will almost certainly need to spend more money as soon as you buy the boat, because there will be more wrong with it than you realised. John
To put this in perspective I am refururbishing a "classic" rib - C.1979 vintage. Bought for £800, so far I've thrown about £200 at the engine (that's just the "necessary" repairs) It will need a new prop (another £100 ish), new tilt pin bushing, the knackered lock mechanism will cost about another £100 to fix....... that;'s just the cost of the parts, I'm doing the "labour" myself. So far I've rewired the whole boat, and only just managed to save the remote control box..... The list goes on. Then there's the knackered trailer that the replacement has cost more than I paid for the boat in the first place....... I'd also second Molers / John. Build up slowly unless you want to treat it like a classic car. I can assure you that your other half will not thank you for having to paddle back ashore! (thankfully I don't speak from experience here )

As for equipment, The "ideal" list is long and expensive. As an absolute minimum, Lifejackets / bouyancy aids and a set of oars / paddles. Then probably a radio (handheld will be fine for the sort of trips you are talking about, and should you "trade up" you can then keep it in the seat as a backup set) and set of handheld flares could be useful, but make sure you have a waterproof box / bag to store them in. Cruising in company means there is always a tow to hand, and is more sociable anway!

As for certificates, no it's not a legal requirement to have one for leisure use in Britain, but I would suggest you go on a course to learn the basics. For example if you launch on a lee shore what you save by not going on the course you could end up spending on a new prop! If nothing else if you go abroad, you'll probably need a certificate if you want to hire something. I'd say that would be £70 well spent.

Let us know what you decide to buy, and whatever it is, have fun with it!
Old 19 May 2008, 12:28   #19

Old speedboats are MUCH cheaper than old RIBs - there are plenty of boats advertised for as little as £200 - £3000 is middle range!!! I have seen loads for sale - there must be some good ones out there!!!

Here is one example

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F180923

Fletcher 155 Arrowsport Blackmax

"80hp mercury elpto (just serviced at main dealer), lots of history inc original bill of sale! vgc & not many genuine ones like this, all black max spec inc ski pole, boarding ladder & just had new 55l inboard fuel tank fitted & carpets, seats in vgc & has the later fletcher wood stearing wheel, nav lights, bow roller and 3 year old brambler trailer with wheel bearing flushing fitted makes up this complete ready to go package"

or

Fletcher Bravo 17ft with 140hp Johnson on trailer ready to go - £1650

http://www.adtrader.co.uk/item_detai...&prsuid=639732

You HAVE to take someone along who knows about boats though!!!

I agree a nice shiny new SIB would be great but he may want more speed - having said that the SIB would be way cheaper to run!!!

Shetlands are also well worth a look - loads at that price.

Personally I would buy a Corribee sailing boat or an old displacement fishing boat.
Old 19 May 2008, 15:12   #20

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
ebay at that money

couple of nice SIBs going through at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zodiac-3-8m-in...d=p3286.c0.m14

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quicksilver-38...d=p3286.c0.m14

bang on the money with cash to spare i should think

or if your brave enough

how about a Zap cat style

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F178938

you should be able to pick up a avon 400/bombard 420 aerotec/zodiac pro7 6-8 years old for that sort of money

i only paid 3.5k for my first RIB which was a Avon 400 adventure with a 30hp yam 2 stoke all on an indispension trailer and i got 5k for it when i part ex'ed it in 2 years later for the Zodiac

Andy