Old 28 June 2015, 22:17   #1

Length: 3m +
Thinking about it.. Any advice?

Thinking about getting an inflatable boat for fishing and would like some feedback. Suggestions maybe and I also have a few questions. The boat I'm interested in (or something similiar) is:

http://www.amazon.ca/Typhoon-360S-Zodiac-11-8-ft-Inflatable/dp/B008UG66P4

But for some reason I could only find it on Amazon in Canada. I'm not stuck on this boat but it has all the features I would want. Solid floors, capability for two bench seats, not too heavy. Anything heavier than this I may not be about to get it loaded. To be honest, really not sure what I could load. Anyone have some advice on how much I could expect to be able to load by myself? I would be loading the boat, inflated onto my truck bed or roof, is 141lbs too much?

Some of my other questions are:

Could I realistically get away with using a trolling motor on this ? I will be taking it mainly in saltwater and don't want to worry about flushing a motor or u don't have to. If so, how long could I expect to run on a battery? Would multiple batteries be recommended?

What about chambers? What happens if this thing gets punctured? I didn't find any information about chambers on the model I have been looking at.

Are they any comparable models to this that would fit my needs that you would recommend?

Is there accesories like rod holders, etc.. For fishing that can easily be attached to it?

Thanks in advance for any comments. I know it's a lot at once.
Old 29 June 2015, 18:39   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Welcome to the forum, the best place to start is the 'Which sib, which sib, which sib ?' sticky in the Inflatable boat forum.

Pretty much everything you have asked is covered in it.

As for electric motors, unless you are thinking of a Torqeedo, forget it. Max speed about 3kts and at that speed it will drain a large leisure battery in under an hour. They are designed for very low speed trolling in calm conditions (no wind, no current), they simply dont work as a main method of propulsion.
Old 29 June 2015, 22:52   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Assuming you're talking ocean (or bays that empty into the ocean); I would not recommend using a trolling motor. On calm, windless days you could get away with it, but those days are pretty rare. The average trolling motor would be fighting a losing battle against most winds on the ocean (and you've still got currents, tides and swell to consider.)

jky
Old 29 June 2015, 23:34   #4

Town: Wausau
Boat name: Delphinus
Make: Delphinus
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzuki DF15 hp
Look on Google, and look up "Seabright Marine", out of Canada.....and talk to Dan. Look at there websight at there boats, I have owned the 12 ft. 6 model for 3 years, and love it!!!! No problems, and Dan will answer any questions you may have, nice guy. Joe.
Old 30 June 2015, 02:29   #5

Length: 10m +
Happy to see Seabright mentioned and also the good word.

We got ours earlier this spring and although we've only taken it out 3 times, we love it! The build quality is excellent. Very impressed with the thicker PVC and other features and qualities.

You are correct that Dan is great to work with. He really stepped up in getting it through customs and sent to us with little to no problems. Very smooth. Even went out of his way very quickly to help us with Texas' ridiculous registration paper work.

Also note that he typically accepts layaway and then you can wait for the best US to Canadian dollar exchange. We did and it saved us about $300.

Right now at around 1.24 it's a really good time to buy. If it's listed for $2,000 CA then it's about $1,600 US:
USDCAD=X: Summary for USD/CAD- Yahoo! Finance