Old 12 June 2021, 16:25   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Tarp or groundsheet under sib for inflation

The local slipways are concrete and the car parks tarmac, neither fills me with enthusiasm for laying out my bagged pride & joy and inflating it. At least I can see if there is broken glass, if I set up further away on grass I risk the broken bottle parts hiding, so those who inflate on hard standings, what do you use to protect your bottom?

I dont have room in the car for a carpet offcut that big, I was thinking of using a cheap tarp but I doubt that is thick enough to fight off a rice pudding. Picnic rugs are just not big enough & camping groundsheets I have no experience of.

So what do you use?
Old 12 June 2021, 17:27   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Been using a better quality blue plastic tarp (with silver back)... same one for 5yrs plus... it's just big enough for a 3.8mish SIB. Used on sand, mud, stones, small gravel, concrete and tarmac. Still undamaged.

But this did come from a proper tarp company... some of the cheap Ebay blue ones are about as thick as a Tesco carrier bag.

My tarp is nearer the thickness of the Elling red bag.
Old 12 June 2021, 18:02   #3

Yes David, I have several of the thin blue plastic woven tarps we use around the garden, even doubled up I wouldn't trust it to keep anything at bay.
I think I should be looking for something 200-250gsm.
Its a pity I have two new 4mtr long heavy duty tarps which I would trust, unfortunately they are specials at just 80cm wide, so even two together wont be enough.
Old 13 June 2021, 06:03   #4

If a tarp is intact for 5years... What makes me think the SIB without tarp would also be intact?
Old 13 June 2021, 06:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
If a tarp is intact for 5years... What makes me think the SIB without tarp would also be intact?

Makes me think the tarp layer must have inspected his sites well & maybe should have chosen some lotto numbers along the way

For me & I expect most others, doing nothing and just setting up with a quick visual of the ground is not the norm. I even check my lawn before inflating there & I know nothing "should" be there that can damage a tube or floor.
Old 13 June 2021, 07:34   #6

This is going to be tougher than any modern tarp I've ever found:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163631265131

Not as flappy in the wind also.
Old 13 June 2021, 09:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
This is going to be tougher than any modern tarp I've ever found:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163631265131

Not as flappy in the wind also.

Do you actually own some of this? At 550gsm its def heavyweight, I think that equates to 550grams per metre. But only 1.5mtr wide rolls, so with a 1.7mtr x 3.5mtr footprint I would need to be pretty tidy how I inflated to make sure I didnt come off it.
Its worthy of consideration though, Thank you.
Old 13 June 2021, 09:40   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Tell the better half that she needs a new vinyl floor,order a few meters spare, and thats job done. Plus brownie points with the Mrs....a win all round

Strong enough for under sib up or cut to size to protect airfloor inside the boat.

Ive got access to strong non slip (non cushioned) rather large off cuts of industrial type flooring vinyl for free, so will be giving it a try when sib finally arrives, even just for setting up on the decking for practice and any mods if hardly wide enough .
Old 13 June 2021, 10:06   #9

>>>What makes me think the SIB without tarp would also be intact?

Indeed it could be... but for me all about the stats and possibilities. If I've spent an hour loading the car and two hours getting to the sea I'd rather be sure I'm going to get launched puncture free.
Old 13 June 2021, 10:28   #10

I'm genuinely impressed with the efforts you guys are going to, to protect your boat. I'd have thought most damage occurs in storage, moving (aka dragging) ashore and in contact with jetties etc afloat.

People take dogs out with pointy claws. They regularly say on here they don't puncture the tubes. People fish with hooks. Knives etc. Not that many say they have ever had incident. Cutting tube material on purpose is a bit like cutting vinyl flooring - darned hard work!

Are SIBS more prone to puncture during inflation that once inflated? Or does damage actually occur on storage and people assume it is during inflation?
Old 13 June 2021, 10:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Tell the better half that she needs a new vinyl floor,order a few meters spare, and thats job done. Plus brownie points with the Mrs....a win all round

Strong enough for under sib up or cut to size to protect airfloor inside the boat.

Another good suggestion, if only I had a very large spare car space, vinyl is ideal to lay out but I cant fold it up and tuck it into an odd space. I lined my shed floor with industrial vinyl about 10yrs ago and its still going strong.
It may be good for on top of the air floor, but I got that covered with very light Aldi fitness mats.
Old 13 June 2021, 11:25   #12

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Are SIBS more prone to puncture during inflation that once inflated? Or does damage actually occur on storage and people assume it is during inflation?

To give a balanced view for anyone not familiar with inflatables. Many people buy them because they are tough as old boots and certainly not everyone uses tarps..in fact I don’t know anyone who does.

The guys I know buy them in preference to hard hulls because they can be left to dry out on falling tides on multi day journeys.. often get bounced on rocks as the tide comes in or out to refloat ready for the off in the morning.. I have never suffered a floor puncture in any of my inflatable’s despite this usage for many years nor do I know anyone on the many SIB outings having a puncture because of this.

I have had punctures in tubes though sharp objects carelessly stored in the boat ..rubbing though the PVC due to the movement of the boat.

I guess its like drilling holes in transoms..some do it with no issues whatsoever ..others have nightmares thinking about it. Each to their own and there is no right or wrong.. however SIBS are certainly robust enough for those who don’t want to bother with tarps.
Old 13 June 2021, 12:22   #13

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Possibly a lot of overthinking going on!

I remove obvious debris and anything sharp, put down a tarp if necessary, usually on car parks with lose granite chippings. I've got a 4x3 heavy duty from tarpaflex, which I've had for years. I also use it to cover the OB when it's in the back of the truck.
I agree be careful, but don't become parinoid about it otherwise there is a danger of losing the most important element - that's enjoyment.
Old 13 June 2021, 15:22   #14

I feel now that i'm being a bit wimpish

I have always had hard boats, either Bonwitco or Morbass grp hulls that end of the day you point at the beach and hope you tilt the outboard in time to save the prop, but late enough to get the transom up far enough so the next wave isnt up ya back.
Ive not had a SIB before so was thinking I ought to be treating it with a lot of respect to save patching it repeatedly.
Seems I was wrong, ok I cant run it up the beach but looking at how the Gurnard has parked his on 2 rocks, they may be tougher than I thought.
I may still get a boat sized tarp, I can always trust to luck and leave it in the car.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Old 13 June 2021, 15:53   #15

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Here is a photo from last Monday Oldman.. the Excel Volaire has not got a single mark on its bottom despite many landings and left to dry out. My Alu hull is getting a few scratches on its paintwork now. I look on them as reminders of the great time I had when they happened.

Some guys I know who came on multi day trips in SIBs then ungraded to hard hulls..wont go multi days trips any more despite loving going on them. Truth is they are too scared to scratch their GRP hulls. Its the biggest strength of owning SIBS ..they bounce

So saying .. My advice is ... Use the boat as you feel fit..and if a tarp is what you feel happiest with ..go for it.
Old 13 June 2021, 17:13   #16

I think for me doing a daily setup from the car putting out the tarp has become routine needed or not re potential damage... its secondary benefit is giving an even visibility surface so we can unload every single thing we need for that trip onto the tarp and stand a better chance of not missing this or that clip/fitting/bolt/etc.

Mid trip we never have a single concern re pulling up/out onto any surface we come across... within reason of course.

If it's blowing a gale a tarp more trouble than benefit.

If we come across litter free soft grass like the Queen's back lawn we may not bother either.
Old 13 June 2021, 18:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

If it's blowing a gale a tarp more trouble than benefit.

If its windy i'm at home with my knitting!
Old 13 June 2021, 19:30   #18
RIBnet Supporter

I've been inflating my SIB in a carpark for 10 years and it hasn't got a puncture yet.

You, um, Tarp Lovers need to, um, Get a Blanket....

Old 13 June 2021, 20:30   #19

Have you got a spec for that blanket… any colours that are best etc?
Old 13 June 2021, 21:02   #20
RIBnet Supporter

So

Lino boot liners x 3. Takes up no space and big enough to set up a SIB on.

Just sayin' is all...

Tags
sib