Old 29 May 2019, 06:11   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Taking the Honwave T38 to Devon

Me and her indoors are down in Devon for the Annual Speedboat Rally we attend in Brixham. We also brought the Honwave T38 and the 9.8 Tohatsu

Here is a quick video of our fletcher in action at the Rally

We took the T38 to Totness today where there is a very nice slip near a cheap car park (£4 all day) and pottered down the Dart to Dartmouth...... What an incredibly beautiful river

Old 29 May 2019, 10:05   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Brixham around 1970 was the scene of my first real independent boating with a loaned Dell Quay Dory powered by a Penta OB around 30-40hp. I thought it was a rocketship after Seagull OBs on heavy GRP dinghies.

Not been there for years but Mrs F had a harbourside hotel girls holiday last year and said we should get back with the sib before too long.

Don't seem to be any cottages suitable for keeping the sib and trundling it to the slipway though.
Old 29 June 2020, 21:26   #3

Make: Honwave
Engine: Yamaha 9.9hp 4 strok
Honwave

Does your honwave plane with 2 up and 9 8 tohatsu?
I've got a yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke and couldn't get on the plane with 70kg and 100kg 2 up
Old 29 June 2020, 22:54   #4

BP has left the forum for foreign shores but I can tell you my 3.8m Bombard would easily plane with its Mariner 9.9hp carrying lots of kit, full tank of fuel and 150kg of people.

We saw max speed of 15kts and an easy cruise on the plane at 12kts. The prop pitch was an 8.5"... what's your pitch?

Do you have a small tach to know what's happening revs wise when trying to plane?
Old 30 June 2020, 05:23   #5

Make: Honwave
Engine: Yamaha 9.9hp 4 strok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
BP has left the forum for foreign shores but I can tell you my 3.8m Bombard would easily plane with its Mariner 9.9hp carrying lots of kit, full tank of fuel and 150kg of people.

We saw max speed of 15kts and an easy cruise on the plane at 12kts. The prop pitch was an 8.5"... what's your pitch?

Do you have a small tach to know what's happening revs wise when trying to plane?
Thanks for the reply. No idea on the pitch! No tach either. Can you get a tach for any engine? It seemed to push all the water away til the leg was in a trough out of water, then the wake wave would catch up with the boat and submerge the leg again and it would start moving us again. Tried all 4 tilt positions with the pin. Made sure the other person was up front opposite side for balance. We had no gear
Old 30 June 2020, 06:42   #6

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyMcRibFace View Post
No tach either. Can you get a tach for any engine?
Yes, tachs like made by Tiny Tach are cheap and also fit on chainsaws, lawnmowers and the like and do not void any manufacturer warranty.
Old 30 June 2020, 07:53   #7

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyMcRibFace View Post
It seemed to push all the water away til the leg was in a trough out of water, then the wake wave would catch up with the boat and submerge the leg again and it would start moving us again.

Two big lads and a Honwave T38IE full of camping gear ..so not a light load. Outboard is 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke and it planes very easily

Difficult for me to understand your description ..but Im guessing your air floor was soft which is the most common cause of issues you describe when using these boats. Use a pump with gauge and recheck pressure after launching as cold water can alter it. It should plane easy

Hope that helps
Old 30 June 2020, 08:56   #8

That photo is perfect proof it's possible Donny. Also yes that odd behaviour before getting on the plane sounds like a very soft floor.

Re the tach Tiny Tach is a brand and I think £50+ but there are loads from £8.50...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-E...4AAOSw7Rle5x9b

I pay a bit more and have bought this type twice and it's been very successful...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Ta...EAAOSwe-Rei1Ac

Re the prop pitch if standard to the outboard it should be near enouigh to plane but have a look and report back in case it's been fitted with an odd size.