Old 20 March 2011, 19:18   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Suzumar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Johnson 2Hp
Suzumar 2.9 + Johnson 2Hp

Hi people im new on here ,i see there is a wealth of information so just a quick one,is this any good on the open sea anywhere? i bought this a couple of years ago and the guy told me it would be ok on the thames and thats about it, just thinking of just doing a bit of fishing just about half a mile out and what sort of sea ie flat calm ,some replies would be great.

Thanks

Karl
Old 20 March 2011, 22:23   #2

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
You'd be pretty brave. I cut my teeth in a 2.7 air deck with 2.5hp mariner which was a laugh, but only just got on the plane with one person on it. I never took it further off shore than I could swim. I really don't see how it would have been much good for fishing even in ideal conditions - it's just too small to be safe offshore in the sea. Remember it only takes a few mins for conditions to change and 2hp is just not enough to escape against wind/tide.

However for a bit of summer fun near shore boats you can throw in anywhere like that are really hard to beat. Just be aware of their limitations and play safe
Old 21 March 2011, 06:41   #3

Ok thsats fine what about going out with a bigger moter about 9hp ?

Thanks for reply
Old 21 March 2011, 16:55   #4

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaw View Post
Ok thsats fine what about going out with a bigger moter about 9hp ?

Thanks for reply
If your only 1/2 a mile or so out on a flat calm day with a good forecast - 9hp would do fine. Just keep a look out for ferrys/whales/sharks/pirates etc sneaking up behind you. The guy I bought my boat from was using a 6hp for similar trips - IMHO - 6 is a bit on the small side. Just takes the wind to pick up a bit and there could be tears.

I just upgraded from the 6hp to a 20hp for some sea cruising ( again not more than a couple of miles from shore) , as people (Bigmuzz) were freaking me out with stories of whales and stuff chasing me about the place on the West Coast.

Have you got VHF/flares/support RIB etc??
Old 21 March 2011, 17:25   #5

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Suzumar + Johnson 2

I agree that for real sea use you'll need more horses. The trouble is that as performance and power go up, so does the weight. A 2 to 3.5 2 stroke can be carried easily, but a 10, although nice for your boat, makes the whole outfit much less portable and easy to throw in anywhere. It might be an idea to have two engines. I've got a Tohatsu 3.5 on an Avon 280, which is great and easy fun, but for going to sea off the North Norfolk Coast, I use an Avon 311 RIB with a Tohatsu 10.
That's the problem, though. The more boating I do, the more boats I want!!!!
Old 21 March 2011, 23:04   #6

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
I fish half a mile out,in 20ft of water in a 2.7 sib and a 3.3hp mariner,have done for a few years now,only on flat calm days,not much tide run were i fish in the Thames estury,i have every health and safey aspect covered known to man,can be done ,but as said 2hp engine far to small,went out yesterday on a big tide ,have fished bigger ,got 2 rays.2 small codling ,loads of whiting mostly pin,a dog aswell.got vhf,even a fishfinder and a GPS,along with compass ,maps puncture outfit, have to study the weather right as well,tell folk were you are going ,what time you are back,lots to take in.
Old 22 March 2011, 08:03   #7

Ok thanks for the feed back guys really helpful I will be needing a bigger engine if anyone has one looking for one about 7-10HP and I have a sea horse 2HP for sale now then good condition £140.
Old 24 March 2011, 20:39   #8

Just a quick one have not got enough cash for a 10Hp what's the min you could get away with and also do this where the front of the boat glides sounds kind of cool.
Old 25 March 2011, 08:59   #9

Argh just wrote a huge reply but then comp crashed.
I wouldn't go below 6 really in terms of safety. With 8 or 10hp your boat will just fly and be so much more fun. You could easily take a mate fishing then and be able to have fun zooming around. You mention I think getting on the plane - to do that reliably with more than just you on board or in any sort of chop it takes some grunt

I used to have a 3.8 with 15hp and it was excellent even with three aboard used to pop over the iow from Lee on Solent for a pint was great- wouldn't have dared do that on my old air deck with it's teeny engine though. I know of people with bigger boats that yours who have great times with 9.9 hp motors.

Tbh I'd not waste your money on less than an 8hp - it'll just be so much more usable and SAFE. A basically three meter boat has so much potential for fun - trying to cut corners on the engine is just going to be something you regret.
Old 25 March 2011, 11:02   #10

Just spotted this in the engines forum would be pretty much perfect

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40539