Old 10 July 2020, 17:37   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Super Rookie Question Bonanza

Hi all. I’m a super newbie willing-to-learn novice and am on the cusp of buying my first SIB and outboard.
I have a whole load of embarrassingly naive questions and figured it might tickle someone to try and answer them all in the most simple and succinct terms...

Even if your answers were Yes/No, or just ‘you should Google xyz’ then I’m bound to learn so much!

Love this Forum! Thanks!

So...

1. Can I launch a SIB with an engine from any public (not private or military) beach so long as I’m careful, launch from somewhere quiet, be respectful and look out for swimmers etc? My local Council byelaws only mention specific places where you're permitted to launch Jetskis...

2. If you put down an anchor/tie your boat up by the side of a river is it ok to just get it as far out of the way as poss if you're going ashore? I understand that that is key whether you are stepping out onto private or public land - I just wondered what the rules were for stopping somewhere on a river? (Any tips on getting people out as dry as possible are welcome!).

3. Do I need to tell any authorities (a harbour master?) that I’m on the sea or a river? Or going from one to the other? I know I need to pay and acknowledge my presence when using a slipway that has a launch fee...

4. Do I require a Licence/Insurance for a SIB? If not essential are either advisable?

5. Do tides on rivers correspond to the nearest coastal tides? With a difference in minute etc?
And, if you’re planning a journey, a round trip on the river, would you time it so the middle of your stay at the destination was at high tide?

6. Anchor (and chain?) for a 4.3m SIB - what to you recommend? For sea, ashore by the sea/side of a river?

I did say they were rookie questions!

Many thanks
Old 10 July 2020, 17:39   #2

PS - also

7. Is it ok to rock up at a boat/sailing/yaught club and use their restaurants and facilities? Is it frowned upon? Do you usually have to pay to do so?
Is there a rule of thumb or is it totally different case by case?
Old 10 July 2020, 23:36   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
1. Mostly yes unless that specific beach is designated swimming only no powered craft or the area that suits you to launch is outside the powered craft lane you find some places.

2. Do you really mean a river as inland non-tidal... or a tidal estuary? The former just find somewhere to nose in and tie up as long as not private land. The latter you would be looking for a beach or hard area or a public pontoon (near a pub!). You need to understand what the tide would do at you chosen stopping place too over the time you are there.

3. Again if inland river many are controlled by an authority (look it up for any particular river) and need registration fees. Harbours and tidal estuaries often need harbour dues paying in addition to slipway launch fees.

4. A licence to use a SIB no but I'd always advise insurance (try Craftinsure online).

5. Yet again most inland rivers are non tidal but with regard to a tidal element of a river or estuary you need to look at charts, local tide tables and any pilot guides to the waterway or seek local advice to see how the tide operates upstream. Tides can operate in very odd ways once they are funnelled into a long narrow space.

6. Have a look at the chandlers as they often sell a basic setup or anchor/chain/rope based on the boat size.

7. My early boating history is with larger live aboard craft and there is a tradition of Yacht Clubs welcoming sailing and motor boat visitors for showers, facilities, bar and eating... usually after signing in. However this welcome often reduces if you're not in a craft of some substance. Much depends on the club. Radio or phoning ahead to check is advised.
Old 11 July 2020, 08:27   #4

Fenlander thank you so much for taking time to reply. All your answers are really useful. I live very close to the sea on the South Coast about 4/5 miles from the mouth of the River Arun... my hope is to do some pleasure boating; visiting places along the coast and along the Arun, so my thoughts are avoiding low tides, working out the best times to launch and return... achoring and such.
I think from you answers I need to check in with the Harbour Office at Littlehampton (the entrance to the mouth of the Arun) and see if there are any harbour dues to pay?

Appreciate all the other info on insurance, tides and byelaws... I've read all the Seashore Byelaws and such - they mention an outboard requiring 'a silencer suitable and sufficient to reduce noise as far is reasonable'. I don't think that really means anything!

Many thanks again - I'm on a learning curve that is a bit daunting - loads to take in, but I'm getting there with the help of this Forum!
Old 11 July 2020, 10:06   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I've only been afloat in Littlehampton/Arun a couple of times, but I remember very strong tides up the river, so depending on what type of SIB/engine combination you're going for, make sure you do get the tides right! My only "SIB" is a tiny Avon Redstart with 2hp as a tender to the sailing yacht, and I know that's not going to make headway up the River Arun if the tide is racing out!

If Littlehampton is going to be your main boating area, would be worth seeing what local RYA training centres there are based on the river. Assuming you haven't already done it then maybe doing a Level 2 course with them would be a good idea, which would cover all of the "general knowledge" type things, safe boat handling, and a lot of local knowledge for that specific area.

"Rocking up" and using yacht/sailing club facilities - depends what facilities you're talking about. Most of the ones I've used or been a member of wouldn't really be expecting non-members to turn up and start using their slipways for launching, leaving trailers/cars lying around, etc., and may not be equipped to deal with that. If they have the pontoon/mooring space, many clubs will welcome visiting vessels and/or have reciprocal arrangements with other local sailing clubs, but may want to charge something for usage, given their members pay for the equivalent usage. As above, assuming you're thinking of a few places in particular, e.g. Arun Yacht Club, just give them a ring and see what their visitor/guest policy is.
Old 11 July 2020, 10:22   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Oh.... Littlehampton... that was one we'd give a swerve in days past when I was with family around the south coast.!

On the wrong day that is one of the worse entrance types for someone new to the water/sea. It is narrow... the entrance dries to no/almost no water at low tide so at that time you won't get back in... there are nasty eddies around the training wall area... at part tides the shallow waters can give rise to breaking waves... the tide stream can run up to 6kts which is really fast with the additional hazard of a cross tide at the entrance.... and from time to time large craft use the entrance taking up most of the width.

See here for how it can be...

Navigation guide and chart link here...

https://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbo...n/expanded.asp

Harbour dues about £13 daily...

https://www.littlehampton.org.uk/pay...03%20721%20215.

Best slipway probably the one by the RNLI which just needs harbour dues paying... the other two seem to be about £25 for in/out.

Hope that helps.
Old 11 July 2020, 12:04   #7

Thanks both for the heads-up...

So Littlehampton needs calm seas and the highest tides in and out I guess?!

Paul thanks for the advice on RYA courses - that sounds like a really good idea if it's something they can currenlt run. I think they do something similar at Chichester too.

I'm looking at getting a 20hp engine so I think I'd have the power to navigate the Arun - will look out for the other obstacles though!