Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 11 June 2021, 13:30   #1

Town: Dumfries
Length: no boat
Suitable aftermarket storage bag - Bombard Aero 380

Hi folks,

I'm about to purchase a second hand Bombard Aero 380, however it doesn't have the original bag as has been kept on a trailer and the owner wasn't given the bag.

Would anyone be able to advise what size of bag is needed and where to purchase?

It also doesn't have transom wheels, so any recommendations on the most suitable ones for this model would be much appreciated.

I'm still learning about SIBs so will likely have more questions!!

Many thanks
Old 11 June 2021, 15:48   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum. Despite being about to trial an even easier to manage SIB (when shoreside) I still have my Aerotec of the past 6yrs.... for their design type and use they have never been bettered. Hope you enjoy yours.

Re transom wheels I rate the OE Zodiac type highly if you don't want them to flip up. If you do then the Trem ones that engage with the OE "buttons" are best.

If you mean a bow bag for me they were not that great (bow bags in general not just the Bombard one). Anything heavy puts strain on the D-ring fixings and they make it hard to exit bow on to a packed pontoon in the summer. If seat bags then most generic ones about the same as each other in use and re quality.
Old 11 June 2021, 19:23   #3

Hi Fenlander,

Many thanks for your response.

It’s the actual storage bag for the sib that’s missing. The current owner doesn’t have the bag and leaves the sib on a trailer semi-inflated. (Hoping this isn’t detrimental to it!).
I’m looking to have it packed away and able to transport in my pickup along with the outboard etc, so keen to purchase a suitable bag that is similar to the original in terms of size and strength, so hoped someone could advise of any known suitable options.

Another query, the aerotec was made in 2005/6. I’ve read the usual lifetime as being circa 18 years, however this sib and the 2 stroke 15 hp outboard has allegedly only been used for around 30 hours, and the condition does appear excellent.
So if all the glue joints appear to be good and generally in great condition, does the age matter?

I’m hoping/assuming the general life expectancy is based on average use, time exposed to UV etc. which isn’t the case here, and hoping some folks can provide another view.

I can share some pics of the points where transom joined the tubes etc. if anyone’s able to give a more experienced assessment.

Thanks
Old 12 June 2021, 06:39   #4

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
I viewed one stored on a trailer in a garage and with little effort I could get a finger or thumb under a seam then go and go. Glue was brittle and dried. Buyer beware. You want to have inspected it fully.

Transom can come loose and floor fall out. You’ll want to know the high pressure floor holds air overnight too, tricky to repair.

Not sure on prices but the transom repair can be around £600

Folk nurse small repairs with sikafkex
Old 12 June 2021, 07:24   #5

Rather than a bag for the boat and kit you could consider a sports hold-all for all the kit and then a length of heavy duty PVC to roll the boat in and secure with a few straps. This would have the added benefit of also serving as a ground cover for setting up and dismantling on?

You can usually by the material on eBay in 1.5m widths.
Old 12 June 2021, 07:33   #6

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Good idea TM but if the OP still wants a bag then Excel will sell him a size fitting one of their boats like a 390, my second bag was about £25 or so.
Old 12 June 2021, 08:16   #7

Ahh I went off in the wrong direction thinking storage in the boat. In truth if Excel are only around £25 for a bag I'd go for that.
Old 12 June 2021, 08:25   #8

Re the glue... well Yabba warns of what can happen. The look of a seam has no bearing on its strength... they look and feel 100% perfect right up to peeling apart. To check you need something like the blunt end of a spoon handle of plastic car trim removal too and try to push it into the seams. A good seam will be 100% resistant to an amount of probing or tugging... if you can prise apart any area suspect it could be right throughout the boat.

The reason the glue fails is a chemical process that starts as soon as the tube material is made and the plasticizer starts a slow migration to the surface and eventually unbonds the glue. Environmental factors can speed this up but it can also happen in storage.
Old 12 June 2021, 09:40   #9

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Yes not to be alarmist just wanting you not to buy a problem. Boat prices are high now so you don’t want that plus a repair bill.

In a push you could do worse - not pretty but functional - than a tarp with some rope (dual purpose rope) make some loops and use those with a line through to add tension/compression.
Old 12 June 2021, 09:58   #10

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Good idea TM but if the OP still wants a bag then Excel will sell him a size fitting one of their boats like a 390, my second bag was about £25 or so.
Whilst I would normally extol the quality of Excel, it doesn't extend to the quality of their bags. They rip very easily, and don't give the protection a good bag should.
I will need to replace mine at the end of this season, it has numerous rips in it.
I know Pikey Dave has used this company to replace his Excel bag - "bags everything", made to order to his specification. I'm sure if you asked PD nicely, he will give you the details/sizes of his bag.
Old 12 June 2021, 10:52   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Whilst I would normally extol the quality of Excel, it doesn't extend to the quality of their bags. They rip very easily, and don't give the protection a good bag should.

I will need to replace mine at the end of this season, it has numerous rips in it.

I know Pikey Dave has used this company to replace his Excel bag - "bags everything", made to order to his specification. I'm sure if you asked PD nicely, he will give you the details/sizes of his bag.

Yup, my Excel bag didn’t last a season, I mentioned this to Terry & he accepted that the bags weren’t the best & they were looking at alternatives.
These are my local “goto” for anything baggy.

https://bags4everything.co.uk/
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 10:49   #12

Thanks for all replies.

Went to see the boat yesterday and thoroughly inspected. Was expecting it to be a dog, especially with some of the stories of glue failing and bits falling off, but since it was local went to see it anyway.

Well it really is near immaculate, and hard to believe it’s from 2006. Not a single suspect joint, nor any of the glued areas with a hint of lifting despite probing with a plastic gasket remover tool. On the contrary, the tool just slid over the joint as it was so tight it couldn’t get in between the joint of the 2 mated surfaces.

The owner bought it from his neighbour, who had owned it from new. He said it was only used a handful of times, then he bought it when they moved around 18 months ago and has never used it.

I’m a chartered engineer and also quite OCD about things, but very impressed with both the SIB and outboard, which would pass for new to look at. Can’t wait to get out in her and constantly checking the weather for a suitable day!!!

Still need to buy the transom wheels, and from the advice above and other reviews want to get the Trem ones.
Could someone please confirm, it’s the 200kg 770mm set that would suit best?

Thanks
Old 14 June 2021, 11:29   #13

Oh well that all sounds positive. What is the outboard with it?

Yes the Trem 770mm leg HD ones are great wheel sets of the flip up type. The only downside and it's not specific to these is the very large wheels have too much buoyancy and can be a struggle to push down or flip up. My solution is to fit a very specific puncture proof wheelbarrow wheel which has near neutral buoyancy and is so much easier.... and they're yellow!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/walsall-u...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 14 June 2021, 15:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Oh well that all sounds positive. What is the outboard with it?

Yes the Trem 770mm leg HD ones are great wheel sets of the flip up type. The only downside and it's not specific to these is the very large wheels have too much buoyancy and can be a struggle to push down or flip up. My solution is to fit a very specific puncture proof wheelbarrow wheel which has near neutral buoyancy and is so much easier.... and they're yellow!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/walsall-u...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

It’s a Yamaha 15 HP 2 stroke. Lovely little motor!

Thanks for clarifying on the Trem wheels.
Yes those yellow ones are rather smart!!
Old 14 June 2021, 15:52   #15

Really like those Yamahas. Do pop up some feedback when you've had the Aerotec on the water.
Old 14 June 2021, 16:46   #16

Thanks Fenlander, I certainly will.

Two questions if I may;

I’d like to find some suitable rod holders for the transom either side of the motor, and would prefer the clamp type so they can be removed easily for packing. Have had a look online and searched this forum but not found much so far, only seeing mainly angled ones whereas would like the rods more or less upright during transit. Any tips on where to look/known products / suppliers?

Secondly, we will be on holiday in the Ladram Bay area in July, and keen to research suitable beaches and fairly obstacle (rock!) free bays. Is there any advice on how to go about getting some info like this, suggested websites etc?

Many thanks
Old 14 June 2021, 17:44   #17

Re Ladram bay. Google earth/maps birds eye will give some clues... as will online charts. Also having a good look as far as you can from land at low tide will show you loads... and watching out for unusual patterns of breaking water when you are out.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...ey=qydtHlb%60S
Old 14 June 2021, 20:24   #18

Thanks again.

I’ve just realised after reading your reply that I stated Ladram Bay, whereas it’s Talland Bay in Cornwall we’re going to!!
Went to the former a good few years back and must have had some brain fog earlier!

Will adopt the same approach for Talland though and see if any locals can advise of any tips / suitable nearby bays.
Old 14 June 2021, 21:11   #19

Isn't Talland where Tel1965 is now??
Old 23 June 2021, 13:57   #20

Good to have an Aerotec chat Cwego.

Here is the thread where I did the major transom lift. As I said it was for a previous OB to the Yamaha... a right water fountain of a Mariner 9.8. So all I can say is the Yamaha 15 2-st ran fine on this lift but may not have needed such a height so I'd just trial with modest shims as discussed.

See posts #69-#78 in this thread. Sorry there is a little bitching if you read the whole thing through!

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerote...e-71528-2.html

Re the valve adaptor this is the one for the Aerotec tubes...

https://www.polymarineshop.com/produ...-hose-adaptor/

But bear in mind the HP floor just needs the standard Zodiac pump tube end which may not be present on a generic pump hose? I've only ever owned Bravo/Zodiac pumps so just needed the adaptor above.

It's possible this adaptor may be suitable to do both HP floor and tubes and fit to a generic hose but you'd need to check as I haven't used one....

https://www.ribstore.co.uk/products/...iABEgIKE_D_BwE