Old 24 June 2008, 12:41   #1

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
storage of anchors and line on sibs

just wondering for different ideas how other s.i.b.ers keep there anchors and line ,chain ect ,do you have a box for it or fake it into a bag or do you have a reel or just have it coiled up, with the anchor laying on the floor or have you made something special for it. regards to you s.i.b.ers out there, martin.
Old 24 June 2008, 13:41   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I have a grapnel anchor (Codprawn will be along shortly to tell you how useless they are, but they work OK on a SIB!) with a few metres of chain, then 9mm climbing rope which is "chain stitched" then flaked into a bag.

Keeps everything neat and it doesn't tangle.

John
Old 24 June 2008, 14:32   #3

Town: Oakland CA
I had a 14' Achilles; used to keep 200' of rode, 15 feet of chain, and a 5lb fluke anchor in a milk crate attached to the internal D-ring.

jky
Old 24 June 2008, 14:35   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Hi John yes about the same as my set up if im going a long way along the coast i use 10 mm multi plait rope about a 100mtres +2 mtres chain though i use a small bruce anchor at the moment which all goes in bag, the folding grapnel i used years ago but if not carefull it can fold on the sea bed if the lock ring is slack but for a general anchor they seem fine, if i am just having a quick run about i take a lightwight danforth and about 50 meters of rope coiled on a plastc drum of the type that industrial welders throw away , regards martin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S1031354.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	35825  
Old 24 June 2008, 15:14   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I have a grapnel anchor (Codprawn will be along shortly to tell you how useless they are, but they work OK on a SIB!) with a few metres of chain, then 9mm climbing rope which is "chain stitched" then flaked into a bag.

Keeps everything neat and it doesn't tangle.

John
I also use a grapnel on a SIB but unless you have a rocky bottom they really are useless in sand - try it yourself on wet sand - it will pull along nicely with just 1 hand - and that's a 7.5kg one!!!
Old 24 June 2008, 15:43   #6

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
you can get tiny bruces which would probably be ideal as they dont pinch your hands or hurt the boat, i have a range of grapnels from pocket sized to relatively large.....they are all limited in their capabilities compared to a little bruce

just an idea
Old 24 June 2008, 18:19   #7

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Last year I put some stainless eyes and hooks into my front floorboard to hold:

1. Anchor held in place with loop of shockcord
2. Chain looped in and out of a little Musto grab bag. Grab bag held in place with a loop of shockcord.
3. Coil of rope held in a coil with two shockcord clips, then clipped to the floorboard.

I'll take a photo next time I get it out.

In my never ending quest to get on the water quicker, I'm planning to try a Musto kit bag clipped into the bow of the boat, with anchor gear, flares, etc all stowed in it.

Cheers

Chris
Old 25 June 2008, 06:21   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
This will be a bit longwinded but here is what I did:

First I bought a triangular shaped polyethlene trailer tongue box made by Buyers ( http://www.buyersproducts.com/Toolbo...-Tongue-Boxes/ ).

Here are the dimensions:

The first thing I realized was that the side that the hinges were on would be a hassle, so I bought some nylon/plastic hinges and mounted them on the narrow edge.

The next thing I noticed was that the box did not fit perfectly in the bow, so I took a propane torch and slowly heated the sides so that I could reshape the angles to fit nicely within my bow. I added some thin foam lining (tool box liner) to the exterior sided of the box to eliminate any potential of chafing the tubes (there is about a 3/8" gap between the box sides and the tubes).

I then fitted some rubber locator stops to the floorboards to locate the 4 corners of the box. Each rubber locator was fastened to the floorboard with 2 ss bolts. Nylon webbing loops (for anchor points) were placed above each of these rubber locators. The rubber locators were made from trailer bow stops (cut into 2 pieces of 1/2 thickness). A small bow stop fit perfectly to the aft corners of the box, while a large tralier bow stop fit perfectly to the fore corners. These rubber stops were positioned and bolted to the floorboards so that the box could be pushed down onto the floorboards with the bottom corners fitting snugly within those stops.

The box is secured internally with 1/4" ss bolts in plastic hand knobs that go through holes in the corners of the floor of the box and screw into brass nutserts embedded in the floorboards. This is usefull since I can lock the box. Additionally, the box can be tied down the floorboards externally with nylon webbing (since there are anchor points in the floorboards at the corners of the box). While both external and internal anchoring might seem redundant, I wan't to ensure that there is no chance of the box separating from the boat in the event that it flips, since it stores a number of essentials.

Here are some pictures - I'll try to post some better ones later. In the last picture I'll itemize what goes where.

A) 6 Kg Delta style anchor (Chinese knock off), chain, & anchor line strapped down into a plastic filing box that is bolted to the sides and bottom of the main box. When strapped down, the anchor doesn't budge while jumping waves.

B) Removeable, 'C' cell operated navigation lights, which fit perfectly in a dishwasher cutlery container (which is bolted to the box). Tool box liner was glued in to pad the sides and bottoms. A Hypalon patch has been glued to the top of the box lid (another will be glued to the top of the engine cowling) so that the suction cup mounts hold very securely.

C) First Aid Kit within a waterproof welding rod container.

D) Tool Kit within a waterproof welding rod container. Immediately beside this (view of it is obstructed by 'E') is a small nylon bag that contains hypalon patches and hypalon glue

E) Manual bilge pump - held in place with brackets made from 2" I.D. suction hose

F) Two 1 liter containers of TC-W3 2 stroke oil - strapped down within a square plastic 2 litre cottage cheese container which is bolted to the box.

G) Throw rope bag clipped to a carabiner hanging from the D ring.

H) Spare propellor (lots of hidden rocks around here) contained within a nylon lunch bag that is stapped down at top and sides.

I) Within this nylon travel bag (which is clipped in at the top corners and strapped against the side of the box is; a foot pump & hose, a spare fuel hose, extra fuel fittings and hose clamps.

A signalling kit will also be added - it will probably also be contained within a welding rod case.
Old 25 June 2008, 15:06   #9

Nicely patterned anchor rode straps, PT.

jky
Old 25 June 2008, 16:26   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Hi John yes about the same as my set up if im going a long way along the coast i use 10 mm multi plait rope about a 100mtres +2 mtres chain though i use a small bruce anchor at the moment which all goes in bag, the folding grapnel i used years ago but if not carefull it can fold on the sea bed if the lock ring is slack but for a general anchor they seem fine, if i am just having a quick run about i take a lightwight danforth and about 50 meters of rope coiled on a plastc drum of the type that industrial welders throw away , regards martin.
Hola...

Would it be possible to post some pics on the procedure the rope is dispensed from the coiled drum, how do you release & tie/secure the remaining rope portions on the drum ?

Happy Sibbing
Old 25 June 2008, 16:45   #11

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Just stuff the line into the drum. Its calling "stacking" and as long as you don't reach in a grab a mass of it and shift it around it will come back out of the drum just like it went in. Don't coil it.

When I had a SIB I used a 5 gallon bucket to store my anchor rode in. The boat end I had a carabiner on that clipped to the ropes along the tubes. Then I stuffed the remaining line in the bucket and put the anchor on top. Worked great.
Old 14 July 2008, 19:49   #12

Town: Toronto
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
Soft car rooftop bag secured in the bow works nice for all that junk normally jumping on the floor. And cost much less than designed for boats.
Old 16 July 2008, 00:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Just stuff the line into the drum. Its calling "stacking" and
I've always heard that called flaking or faking.

jky