Old 26 March 2022, 14:46   #1

Town: WALTON ON THAMES
Length: 3m +
Steering help

Hi

I have a teleflex cable 11ft that i took offr my 25 hp 2 stroke mercury - I have fitted it to my 30hp mfs tohatsu - it doesnt appear to steer the same angle both sides - to me it appears the engine goes further over one side but stops and wont go over fully the other side? DO I need to buy a specific cable for larger 4 stroke?
Old 26 March 2022, 18:42   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw04jen View Post
Hi

I have a teleflex cable 11ft that i took offr my 25 hp 2 stroke mercury - I have fitted it to my 30hp mfs tohatsu - it doesnt appear to steer the same angle both sides - to me it appears the engine goes further over one side but stops and wont go over fully the other side? DO I need to buy a specific cable for larger 4 stroke?
Cable is the same but the link bar may be different or you may have a choice of mounting holes for the link bar. Thats assuming the cable is thru the tilt pin & not transom mounted?

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 26 March 2022, 19:14   #3

Oh gawd - wish I knew what i was doing - the link bar is Tohatsu - however the mounting coupling does have 2 different holes - I juts naturally (maybe stupidy) chose the one in the middle at the top of the 'triangle' - there is however one set back to the port side so I will try that tomorrow and see if works? Just assumed connect up and all be normal but fairly certain it isnt - when mounting the position of steering hub doesnt make any difference does it - I fell as though I am doing something really stupid - when I set up on Mercury 25hp which had one mounting hole it was just central and all 'fine'
Old 26 March 2022, 19:35   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw04jen View Post
Oh gawd - wish I knew what i was doing - the link bar is Tohatsu - however the mounting coupling does have 2 different holes - I juts naturally (maybe stupidy) chose the one in the middle at the top of the 'triangle' - there is however one set back to the port side so I will try that tomorrow and see if works? Just assumed connect up and all be normal but fairly certain it isnt - when mounting the position of steering hub doesnt make any difference does it - I fell as though I am doing something really stupid - when I set up on Mercury 25hp which had one mounting hole it was just central and all 'fine'
I wouldnt get too stressed about it, in reality you rarely use full lock & quite a few engines are different lock each direction just go for close enough & dont worry about it

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 27 March 2022, 08:01   #5

Thank you for this - I'll take another look this am and try the other offset hole and see which option is best - put my mind at rest tho!
Old 27 March 2022, 10:53   #6

Fixed - just moved the link to offset hole instead of central one - so thank you for coming back