Old 02 August 2017, 05:41   #1

Town: Nanaimo
Length: 3m +
Soon to be boater with questions.

Hi, having a small boat has always been on my bucket list and I've decided to finally buy one. My philosophy of use is mainly for cruising and exploring near by coastal areas and islands where I live on Vancouver Island. I want to keep the package as fast as possible and I don't expect to ever have more than 1 or 2 people with me, in fact I will likely be alone most of the time. So my pre novice reasoning tells me to keep it light and small. I'm looking at a Stryker LX250. Ranger LX 250 (8' 2") with an air deck floor and a Tohatsu 9.8 motor.Tohatsu 9.8HP - Short Shaft
All from the Stryker company.

I know I could save some money buying used but I'd sleep better at night with a brand new motor that has no secret history and the quality of the Stryker brand seems to be very high not to mention they just look sexy as all hell.

My question is about the motor capacity. This boat is rated for 10 hp max but could I get away with a 15 to compensate for extra weight in the event there is another person or two with me? Or should I forget the idea? What do you think of my choice so far? Input and feed back appreciated. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I'm still up in the air over flooring, air or aluminum?
Old 02 August 2017, 06:31   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
A 2.5 m boat is quite small and I doubt if you would comfortably get more than 2 people in it. As for the engine a 9.8 hp will be plenty on that size and I would not go any larger.

If I were you I would look at larger boats as you will find the 2.5 very small. With boats an extra say 200 mm in length makes a big difference in overall size

Hope this helps and have fun

Dennis
Old 02 August 2017, 07:24   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
As bigplums says. Nobody ever regretted getting the bigger boat* , if you can afford the bigger boat and the bigger engine great, but I'd go with the next size up and the 9.8 before overpowering that size to hopefully fit more people in. Even a 2.8 will be cosy for two.

*except Kerny who got home and discovered it didn't fit in his garage! Has anyone heard from him recently?
Old 02 August 2017, 11:08   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Anything under 3m is, IMO, waaay too small for bayhopping! I've done it in my 2.9m with a 9.8hp and it's a waste of time. Aim for 3.3-3.6m and a 15hp and the world will open up a lot for you. More space, better seakeeping, easier planing.
Old 02 August 2017, 11:19   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
sound advice from the boys have a look at the scottish sib outing smallest boat there was mine a 3.65 hd mercury, largest engines 25 hp smallest 20 hp if your going to do some serious distances we did 90 miles nothing smaller that 3.65 anything below these are true tenders in my opinion. you will get some good fun with a 15 hp on your own
Old 02 August 2017, 11:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
sound advice from the boys have a look at the scottish sib outing smallest boat there was mine a 3.65 hd mercury, largest engines 25 hp smallest 20 hp if your going to do some serious distances we did 90 miles nothing smaller that 3.65 anything below these are true tenders in my opinion. you will get some good fun with a 15 hp on your own
Where would I find that outing in Jock land ?
Old 02 August 2017, 11:36   #7

RIBase
just type in search box
Old 02 August 2017, 16:28   #8

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Also you talk about "fast", I'm not sure a 9.8 will always get you up on the plane with 3 lads onboard in anything but perfect conditions.

I have a 3.8 and tbh I'd not want anything smaller with 3 adults onboard (plus all the stuff you end up taking) for anything longer than a short hop.
Old 02 August 2017, 16:38   #9

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Also, air floor vs aluminium... I think the general consensus is that air floor is quicker and easier if you are keeping it deflated and in the trunk of your car/a shed at home... aluminium is more suited to a trailer and if not, a little more time and effort required setting up. But of course an ally floor will be much more solid underfoot etc.

I have kids, quick set up and ease of transport is paramount and the air floor gives me that. Approx 20 mins to inflate and prep for sea once at the coast.
Old 02 August 2017, 16:50   #10

Deleted as wrong thread
Old 02 August 2017, 17:21   #11

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I'd definitely say go bigger if you can. That engine will push a bigger hull and a bigger hull will ride more comfortably and be safer. A bigger boat is not just longer, but also wider, and often with fatter tubes.

I have a 3.1 metre with a 9.9. We have cruised comfortably on the river with 3 adults on board and planed on the sea with 2 on board.
Old 02 August 2017, 20:26   #12

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Islander View Post
Hi, having a small boat has always been on my bucket list and I've decided to finally buy one. My philosophy of use is mainly for cruising and exploring near by coastal areas and islands where I live on Vancouver Island. I want to keep the package as fast as possible and I don't expect to ever have more than 1 or 2 people with me, in fact I will likely be alone most of the time. So my pre novice reasoning tells me to keep it light and small. I'm looking at a Stryker LX250. Ranger LX 250 (8' 2") with an air deck floor and a Tohatsu 9.8 motor.Tohatsu 9.8HP - Short Shaft
All from the Stryker company.

I know I could save some money buying used but I'd sleep better at night with a brand new motor that has no secret history and the quality of the Stryker brand seems to be very high not to mention they just look sexy as all hell.

My question is about the motor capacity. This boat is rated for 10 hp max but could I get away with a 15 to compensate for extra weight in the event there is another person or two with me? Or should I forget the idea? What do you think of my choice so far? Input and feed back appreciated. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I'm still up in the air over flooring, air or aluminum?
Why do you want a chinesium PVC boat?

Zodiac and Bombard have a very active presence in the Vancouver area. The MilPro Zodiac Hurricane factory is up there.

For solo exploration as a primary boat, I'd recommend a Cadet Fastroller 360, or a Futura MK2C for "fun factor". Boat with electric pumps and wheel kits, so you can inflate the boat by yourself quickly, and move it around with minimal effort.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2017, 21:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
You forgot my wee Honwave Jeff - it's only 3.5m[emoji4] .
You are right though, that is about as small as you would want to go for going out in the sea.
I had a Seago Eco 2.6m.
Had it on a few lochs and on the sea once. Wasn't overly comfortable with just me let alone taking another person.
These smaller Sibs have smaller tubes and sit lower in the water. They tend to be very wet boats in a chop.
I'd be looking around the 3.2m minimum.
The air deck Honwave 3.2m is as small as I'd go for taking a passenger or going out in the sea.
Old 02 August 2017, 22:52   #14

Town: Nanaimo
Thanks. Some good info and gives me a lot think about. Cost is a major factor. This will be a pain to afford. I was thinking I might get a bigger package uesd if it's in "like new" condition. I saw a good local deal recently too. I'll be keeping my eye out for something like that, definitely. Some here gave good insight into the 9.8's performance. It's hard to find good full speed examples on Youtube it seems. The idea of having brand new equipment is hard to beat though (the brand has me close to sold... Lol) and I definitely have my limit. I might end up with a used boat but new motor possibly too. If it's bigger it will be used but I plan to deflate and pack it up regularly, lol...
Old 02 August 2017, 23:26   #15

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Another handy site for a newcomer with lots of questions is this Questions & Answers
Old 03 August 2017, 11:32   #16

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Most 8'2" boats are not rated for more than a 5-6 hp Outboard. As suggested previously bigger is better especially when using as a general runabout and not as a tender to a bigger boat.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2017, 06:27   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
You forgot my wee Honwave Jeff - it's only 3.5m[emoji4] .
You are right though, that is about as small as you would want to go for going out in the sea.
I had a Seago Eco 2.6m.
Had it on a few lochs and on the sea once. Wasn't overly comfortable with just me let alone taking another person.
These smaller Sibs have smaller tubes and sit lower in the water. They tend to be very wet boats in a chop.
I'd be looking around the 3.2m minimum.
The air deck Honwave 3.2m is as small as I'd go for taking a passenger or going out in the sea.
sorry mate thought you were 3.8m