Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 02 September 2011, 11:48   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Do you think those lifespans are shorter in the heat out your way? I know of quite a few 30+yr old Hypalon boats in pretty good condition. PVC is an unknown quantity to me beyond 10yrs old.
Old 02 September 2011, 15:13   #22

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
There is a some misinformation out there regarding MEK and the State of California. MEK is not on the federal HAP list nor banned in the state of California. Many big box retailers like Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace are no longer carrying MEK. They carry an MEK substitute made by Kleen Strip. It may work as a thinner, but does an extremely poor job of prepping PVC. This shift relates to regulations in some Air Quality Control Districts regarding the proper use of MEK (most consumer uses are not considered appropriate). However, if you go to places like Fiberlay (here in San Diego), professional paint supply stores or solvent distributors you will find MEK is still available and legal. Don't let some retail clerk give you the "it's banned" bs.
Old 02 September 2011, 15:33   #23

Town: Oakland CA
I haven't had any problems finding MEK. In the Bay Area, ACE, Home Depot, and OSH all carry it on the shelf (and not locked up like spray paint.)

Toluene is a different story. Also not banned (as far as I know), but not readily available, either. I've seen it for sale on-line, but haven't gotten around to ordering any.

Quote:
For Hyperlon you just need to abrade the top surface (mechanical clean) so that the adhesive bites in. Using a solvent will not help in the adhesion process.
Not sure I agree with that. The solvent does "soften" the hypalon material, which would allow the adhesive to penetrate a bit. Which, in part, is why the solvents are in the adhesives in the first place. Solvents also do a great job of getting any residual oils and crap off the surface before gluing.

jky
Old 02 September 2011, 16:09   #24

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
jyasaki,

Have you checked recently? I was confident when I hit Home depot and found the shelves bare. Their supplier, Kleen Strip, no longer stocks them with MEK. Ace was the same. Most retailers are not going to get restocked. I do believe in using the right solvent! It is possible to get a good bond, but I'm shooting for a great bond. Just re glued the left side tube to transom joint on my boat. Repairs by the previous owner finally failed. The material peeled back to my bottom transom repair and stopped. It would have been easier to glue the material if I could have removed a little of my repair, but heat had no influence and it wasn't coming apart no matter what. I think that repair is 5 years old. Stabond is my favorite two part glue.
Old 02 September 2011, 22:13   #25

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Do you think those lifespans are shorter in the heat out your way? I know of quite a few 30+yr old Hypalon boats in pretty good condition. PVC is an unknown quantity to me beyond 10yrs old.
Yes, it's the UV that kills all boats in the end. If its stored and only used when needed, then the life is far extended. But if its permanently inflated on your Sunseeker then life is shortened, buit with that money you could just replace every 5 years ;-)
Old 04 September 2011, 23:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
Have you checked recently? I was confident when I hit Home depot and found the shelves bare. Their supplier, Kleen Strip, no longer stocks them with MEK.
Hmm. Not in the last week or so. I did see it on the shelves then.

I did have something I needed to go to OSH for; if I remember what it was before they close, I'll check today.

jky
Old 05 September 2011, 00:02   #27

Engine: Yam 15,25, Tohatsu 6
Is available in Florida Home depot/Lowes

I bought a quart or MEK a few days ago at the local home depot. Lowe's had the gallon size so I passed. If it is going to be scarce, I guess I should buy some more but it is on both their websites so I have no reason to think so.

Achilles
Old 05 September 2011, 01:02   #28

Quote:
If it is going to be scarce, I guess I should buy some more
Achilles; I was just thinking the same thing. Heading to OSH now; will check it out.

As an aside, Tap Plastics has it in stock in San Leandro (Kelson; won't do you much good, as they're a NorCal chain, I think.)

jky
Old 05 September 2011, 04:26   #29

Well, it appears that Kelson may well be right: Both OSH and Home Depot had no MEK. On an unrelated note, nobody I talked to (2 people at OSH; 3 at Home Depot) had any clue what MEK was, much less what it was used for.

Looks like MEK has gone the way of Toluene on the consumer shelves.

I'm going to order a decent amount of both to keep on hand once I find an inexpensive online supplier.

jky
Old 04 June 2016, 23:48   #30

Town: Gatineau (Aylmer),Quebec
Boat name: Bombard Explorer
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 115
Toluene

I found toluene at Home Hardware sold under the brand name of Toluol. I'm not sure if it is pure toluene because the container describes Toluol as containing toluene. But it worked out pretty good and helped prepare the area that was to be patched because of a pinhole leak caused by an un-cooperative catfish. I used a Weaver Industries two part Hypalon 2001 Inflatable Boat Adhesive.
Old 06 June 2016, 01:25   #31

I think I ordered a quart can of toluene from NRS (a rafting supply place.) Had to ship ground (not a big deal to me), but at least I have it on hand now.

jky
Old 06 June 2016, 12:33   #32

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I buy MEK and Toluene from Sherwin Williams Pro stores. Find one that deals with two-part catalyzed paints, such as an automotive or marine location.

I pay ~$21 for 1 gal, ~$95 for 5 gal pail.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2016, 18:37   #33

Nice to know. Thanks, Office.

jky