Old 31 May 2015, 20:14   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Skye / Dunvegan advice

Hi All

Im off to Skye in August for a family holiday staying beside Loch Dunvegan. Ive been there before but never with a sib and dont know the water around there at all. I plan to cruise and fish Loch Dunvegan and Pooltiel. Can anyone give me any pointers for the area, is there anything i need to watch out for. Thanks
Old 31 May 2015, 21:00   #2

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Not fished it myself but Neist Point gets recommended for good fishing. Just a bit further round from Loch Pooltiel. A bit exposed in a sib but if the weather allows it has whale watching opportunities too.As you know its a fantastic place especially if the weather gods are in your favour. Cant wait to get back up.
Old 31 May 2015, 21:56   #3

Staying at Pooltiel next month but not planning to take a boat. I did see something that suggested you could hire a clinker boat from Dunvegan... Thought I'd do some digging when I got there.

Neist is a great place but the twice I've been there I wouldn't want to be there in a ship let alone a Sib..

Might do some crabbing off a jetty...
Old 31 May 2015, 22:13   #4

Ha, yes i may give Neist point a miss but Pooltiel looks good. Caught good pollock off the rock / pier at Meanish.
Old 01 June 2015, 07:58   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Stevem

No hidden dangers in Loch Dunvegan..but you can get strong tide rips going round Dunvegan Head if heading for Loch Pooltiel..and like most of the Skye coast in that area..you wont be able to land going round the headland due to the sheer cliffs. ..very scenic though.

Only thing to be aware of in Loch Dunvegan is the seal tour operators get quite verbal if they see you go close “their” seal colonies.

Beauty of Skye is you can usually find a sheltered loch.. regardless which way the wind is blowing.

As you are in the area.. I would strongly recommend a trip in Loch Bracadale and venture round Idrigill Point to see MacLeods Maidens.. you will pass some of the most scenic coast line in the UK. Pick a nice day ..and its very feasible in a small boat.. there are no strong tides in that area. Launch the SIB at Harlosh Slip.

Immediately there are interesting rock formations heading for Harlosh Island.

Harlosh Island has one of the few sandy beaches on Skye..although it gets covered at high water. There are a few reefs off Harlosh Island where I have caught huge Pollock

Cross to the coast heading for Idrigill Point and you will pass huge caves

Rock Arches and unusual rock formations

The huge cliffs and rock “bust” at Idrigill point

And round the corner.. MacLeods Maidens themselves.

A very worth while trip.. but do pick a good day..because ..even if you can land on the rocks..you aint going to scale the cliffs to escape.

As soon as the wind starts to behave.. I hope to head for Skye myself..I have a wild camp trip planned to go from Broadford.. Scalpay.. Raasay.. Rona and back to Broadford via the Crowlin Islands..hopefully before the midges arrive in July. I will be doing it in my SIB.

Hope the photos put you in holiday mood .. Enjoy your visit..Skye is a lovely place
Old 01 June 2015, 12:59   #6

Wow, brilliant. I was hoping you had been there and would see my post, thats great info and enough to keep us busy for a while.
Taking family so will be staying in Loch Dunvegan then going to Pooltiel another day parking at meanish. Will also have a look at the other places you have highlighted as they look amazing.
Will probably have a blast around the headland by myself once i get a feel for it ( weather permitting )
Thanks for posting.
Old 01 June 2015, 14:29   #7

Yup..I know the area well Steve..for my sins.. among many other jobs.. I installed the cables to the radio station at Scoval. It sits on the hill between Glendale and Dunvegan..and feeds the Outer Hebrides with both telecoms and TV signals.

During that time I also clambered over most of the hills in the area..and there are some amazing views from the top of the Cuillin..if you have a head for heights. Dont believe folk when they say its always wet and windy there..some years it enjoys better weather than mainland Scotland.

Plenty of low level walks among stunning scenery too

And if its too windy..and the kids are at a loose end..take them fossil hunting at Bearearig Bay

If you walk along to the cliffs at the far end on the photo..you wont have much trouble finding them. I collected this stash in half a dozen trips. Otters frequent the bay too..I often saw them catching their lunch just off the shore.

I once read that Skye is one on the top ten places to visit in the world.. and I have no reason to doubt it.

Great place for a holiday..but it can be a looong winter living there
Old 01 June 2015, 15:39   #8

We stayed near here last summer and had an absolutely spectacular time - mainly due to the weather which was stunning - flat calm seas and sunshine. In all my time of visiting Skye the weather has never been amenable.

We were staying round the corner from Dunvegan at Colbost and launched from a lovely public slipway at Lower Milovaig. The locals were very friendly - ended up leaving the boat there overnight with no problems. The fishing by the cliffs on the east side of Loch Pooltiel with a couple of decent sized pollock caught in a very short time - and a local fisherman gave me a lobster to go with it for tea!!

We spent one day exploring to the west of Loch Pooltiel - around Neist Point Lighthouse - there is a landing stage to the south of the lighthouse that we moored at whilst we went to look at the lighthouse.

We then carried on down towards Macleod's maidens. Absolutely stunning day out - but as others have mentioned little opportunity for landings if you get into difficulty.

The next day we spent exploring into Loch Dunvegan - again launching from Loch Pooltiel - which again we had nice calm weather for - although not as sunny!! Have tried to attach a few photos.
Old 01 June 2015, 15:44   #9

Try again with pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3676.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	105765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3678.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	105766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	105767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3692.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	105768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1309.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	105769  

Old 02 June 2015, 06:23   #10

Hi Gurnard, more great stuff.
The kids will love hunting for fossils, ill have a job getting them to leave if they find any! We only have a week up there and think thats the week ( and more ) well covered.
Much appreciated.
The last time we were up the weather was amazing also Jonathandorey so fingers crossed for this year. Will try slipway at Lower Milovaig.
Thanks Gents.
Old 02 June 2015, 17:42   #11

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Good slip onto the the shore a Harlosh, but don't take your car onto the beach it's mutch softer than it looks. I've struggled with a Land Rover there, it's a bit deceptive. However about half a mile either side of Idrigil point is spectacular.
To the east of it there is an amazing bay just east of the two arches and half a mile north of the point there is a cracking arch that you can get the boat through at high tide in calm weather with a waterfall coming off the cliffs just beyond it. If you dive there's also the wreck of a liberty boat just of the little rock pinnacle island.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0895.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	105805
Old 02 June 2015, 18:47   #12

Cheers Last Tango, ive got some great options now should the weather take a bad turn. Arghhh, gonna need another week.
Old 07 June 2015, 08:51   #13

Anyone know the story with these guys?

http://www.isleofskyeboathire.co.uk/

Domain registered Jan 2014.
To a guy in Cornwall (couldn't get much further from Skye and be in the UK!)
Old 07 June 2015, 13:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Anyone know the story with these guys?

Isle of Skye Boat Hire

Domain registered Jan 2014.
To a guy in Cornwall (couldn't get much further from Skye and be in the UK!)

Sorry ShinyShoe.. after my time on Skye... I cant recall seeing any boat hires on Skye..but I wasn't looking ..so there may well be somewhere ?

If you are trying to find out if there is somewhere to hire one on Skye.. google "Strollamus Boat Centre" and you will find their telephone number.. its Skyes equivalent to a "marina" and just north of Broadford. If there are any hire places..Im sure they will know..
Old 08 June 2015, 20:08   #15

We where there last August amazing place
And got given crabs and lobsters too .
Back this August too excellent for stopping in camper van .good fishing from rocks too