Old 17 August 2017, 20:52   #1

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
Skeggie or Liverpool for Sibbing

Well have my Aerotec and hopefully before too long an engine for it. I live about as far from the sea as it possible to get in these islands at the southern end of the Peak District (actual furthest place is just a bit south of here) so my only bits of sea that would be a realistic day trip are either the Lincolnshire coast from say the Humber to the Wash or West Coast around the Mersey and Dee from around Rhyl to Southport.
Any suggestions for launching spots for a nice bit of sibbing in those sort of areas? I did my L2 and a reasonable bit since in the Mersey from Liverpool so like that area but launched from the docks for all that and the locking in and out is a bit restrictive and pricy so alternatives round there could be good.
Old 17 August 2017, 21:12   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
you can launch on to the Mersey at New Brighton on the Wirral, or on to the Dee at West Kirby, both would give you access to a days boating assuming reasonable weather but both rivers are wide open to the weather so best pick your days! you mentioned Rhyl, so why not go a little further along the Nth Wales coast to the Menai, there's plenty of excellent boating to be had with a sib in reasonably sheltered waters, and if the weather is good you can venture further afield along the Anglesey coast, the scenery is much better than you'll get on the Mersey
Old 17 August 2017, 21:18   #3

Thanks, Menai, yep, did my intermediate and advanced courses at Plas Menai so know it pretty well but from here to get a decent amount of boating in would really need to be a weekend trip. And I quite the ship watching in the Mersey!
Old 18 August 2017, 08:27   #4

I'd say new brighton is you're best option then, you might need to register with Wirral Borough Council for a permit, as far as I know you can still do that at Safe Water Training by the slipway, if you give them a call they'll tell you what you need, if anything, from memory you only need to register over a certain hp ...... either way hope you enjoy the Mersey, plenty to see from the water

Safe Water Training: 0151 630 0466
Old 18 August 2017, 08:50   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Regarding Skegness... no disrespect to anyone who is in that area but it's pretty bleak with nothing other than beach launching from Grimsby to Boston as far as I know... some boat clubs along that stretch and I think they are members only tractor launches as the beaches are very wide at lower tide states... I'd not want to transom wheel launch across them.
Old 18 August 2017, 09:03   #6

Thanks Fenlander, suspected that may be the case there.
Old 18 August 2017, 21:34   #7

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I have driven most of the coast road from the Humber to the Wash looking for launch sites for my small SIB. I found one free and easy beach launch site with good parking. However, you could draw a map of the coast there with a ruler and three grey crayons. Concrete, strip of grubby sand, grey sea. No coves, no cliffs, no inlets, no islands, no estuaries, no nuffink! If you wanted to waterski or fish, it might be suitable, but it's not worth travelling to for the simple joy of driving a boat on the sea, And I live in Lincolnshire.
Old 18 August 2017, 21:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I have driven most of the coast road from the Humber to the Wash looking for launch sites for my small SIB. I found one free and easy beach launch site with good parking. However, you could draw a map of the coast there with a ruler and three grey crayons. Concrete, strip of grubby sand, grey sea. No coves, no cliffs, no inlets, no islands, no estuaries, no nuffink! If you wanted to waterski or fish, it might be suitable, but it's not worth travelling to for the simple joy of driving a boat on the sea, And I live in Lincolnshire.
Looks like the other side it is if I want a day out, will have to plan some weekend trips to get the nice places though.
Old 19 August 2017, 10:14   #9

if you're planning to make a weekend of it then my recommendation would be to head to Caernarfon, plenty of good camping/caravan sites, hotels/b&b's etc, good pubs/restaurants & great boat launching facilities, if you want launch your sib yourself there are a few easily reached locations for launching straight on to The Menai which will give you access to Caernarfon Bay if the weathers good, if it's a bit dodgy then you've got the Straits right through to Puffin Island, no need to worry about tides etc as there's always plenty of water for a sib
Old 20 August 2017, 18:50   #10

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: BENJ5
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90hp
Aberafon camping and caravanning site near to Trefor, Gwynedd.

Tags
sib