Old 13 February 2011, 09:53   #1

Town: Gateshead
Boat name: Confirmative Jim
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Rude 35
Sibs en Espana

I am going to the Costa Brava on the Med in May and would like to take the boat to do a bit of exploring with the family. Does anyone know if you can just beach launch like you can in England or will I need lots of paperwork and licences?

Adam
Old 13 February 2011, 11:28   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmiffy View Post
I am going to the Costa Brava on the Med in May and would like to take the boat to do a bit of exploring with the family. Does anyone know if you can just beach launch like you can in England or will I need lots of paperwork and licences?

Adam
paperwork and licences?Bet you do,nothing simple when abroad in europe,they love licencing things,fucking our country up
Old 13 February 2011, 11:28   #3

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmiffy View Post

Adam
paperwork and licences?Bet you do,nothing simple when abroad in europe,they love licencing things,fucking our country up,thats what they do best.
Old 13 February 2011, 12:29   #4

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
I guess beach launching depends on the beach and access.

I mean, I would not beach launch in a beach full of people. Unless there is a nautic channel, which obviously means beach launch is allowed.

But in my cove at Almeria they take away the nautic channel buoys at winter and mooring buoys too. I mean: during the winter at my cove you can launch from wherever you like (actually the most comfortable place is the channel!).
You just must respect speed limits and mooring distance.

Me, I moor at a Natural Marine Park (Cabo de Gata, Almeria). There are places where you cannot anchor to avoid damaging the Posidonia as it is protected. Also, there are speed limits around protected capes.

There you are a pic with boats mooring. Nautic channel is easy to find (look at the small boats in the sand).

Regarding license and papers, you need a title for more than 3.4 meters and more than 15hp.
About boat register: well you do need sea assurance, but I guess you already have. I think that if your boat is going to be here 6 months you need some kind of papers.

How is your boat like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aguamarga2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	57041  
Old 13 February 2011, 13:14   #5

Thanks for your reply azzurro. We are going to an area near Begur, the beach is called Sa Riera. See attached photo. My boat is a MKII Zodiac, which I think is about 4m long. It is powered by a 35hp tiller outboard and it has transom mounted wheels. We will only be staying for 2-3 weeks. What is a title and what is sea assurance? How do I register my boat?

Many thanks

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sa riera.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	57042  
Old 13 February 2011, 16:30   #6

Well, it is obvious that people launch in that beach! With than engine you must be using a trailer and 4X4 for the sand. If your car is not, I think you can manage the trailer with 2 people to get to the water. Ask for help, people must be used to beach launch in there.

What do you want to do with the boat? Will you moor there or launch/retire? If your engine is locked (thefts!) and you risk, you could even beach the boat at night. I mean, mooring is more theft-proof than leaving the boat in the sand (and even in the port!). You just have to get to the boat. Swimming or kayak or even asking people usually is enough.

Ask for a "muerto" with buoy for mooring. Probably someone there may help you for some euros. There is a mandatory distance to the beach, I think it's 200meters, but if the beach is buoy-signaled, just respect the signals.

Regarding papers...well, is your boat at least lettered? If you do not have a title I do not think you will have trouble as long as you are respectful. "La Guardia Civil" mainly works at ports and natural protected areas.

The place looks very nice.
Old 13 February 2011, 16:43   #7

There is a PADI diving centre in Aiguafreda and a Club Nautico in Sa Riera, ask them for help on mooring.
I've seen some pics of the place, there seem to be mooring buoys in Platja Fonda and Aiguablava. Maybe you can take a mushroom anchor, chain and buoy to make your "muerto".

Have a nice time!

http://www.begur.net/playas.html
Old 13 February 2011, 16:59   #8

Thanks for all your help. We have inflatable wheels attached to the transom so the sib with outbard can be wheeled down to the water. Mooring would be the best option to save on the hassle of setting up plus the villa is just two minutes away. Do you know the name of the dive centre?

Thanks

Adam
Old 14 February 2011, 18:47   #9

Whoop, just spotted 'Club Nautica'

Adam
Old 29 March 2011, 10:51   #10

Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
I'm also going to take the 3.4m Quicksilver I've just bought out this spring and summer and plan to wheel stright into bay... in process of refurbing an old Mariner 15hp engine :-)

I don't have any registration papers for my boat etc and was wondering about this..

Just done my PB2 so I can get the ICC, which they can sometimes check..

Going to get basic insurance before the trip too..

Can't wait...

F
Old 01 April 2011, 19:32   #11

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
hey cool guys!

Top tips:

display SSR & flag or if stopped you may as well give them yr boat the fines are hefty (3500e)

if theres a launch channel use it or ditto

watch the weather it turns quickly, today was flat calm, last wednesday a sailing coach died venturing out to test the swell.

morning & eve best for flat water, the swell whips up in the day

watch for long open water passages - yr fuel soon disappears if the swell turns & its not much fun

take a pump as when the sun drops so do yr tubes

good luck, take a snorkel, beers, thermo, sun block...
Old 01 April 2011, 21:09   #12

Thanks thats great advice. Unfortunately we have decided to fly instead of driving so the sib will stay at home. Going to try and do my powerboat before I go so I can get to hire something decent.