Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
I agree the ideal lump is probably a 60HP 2stroke Yam, but being a poor student an economical 4stroker appeals to me. My 70HP Tohatsu drinks like George Best when you give it some beans.
When you prop an sr4 right with a 50 on it it'll chinewalk past 40mph and will hit 40 knots (mine does-just ). To keep a respectable speed (25-30 knots) it doesn't burn much fuel either. They aren't heavy boats.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2006, 16:43   #42

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
Apart from boats and outboards / ebay wheres good to look for sibs? Anyone got web sites of places selling sibs at good prices.

Looking like i'll have £2500 max to spend on it and want a decent motor with it.

Something like this http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/SIM460/ would be ideal. Like the idea of it being heavy duty with the wear patches on the tubes and has a good size engine. Really need something with a bit of 'get up and go' in it!
This doesn't come with a motor but at about half of your total budget, this could be a great deal on one of the most well made SIBs available anywhere. A 40 hp motor would be ideal with this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01 November 2006, 17:18   #43

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Why do you think its a better boat?

All: If you had £2500 what would sib/engine would you get?

I would buy the Honda 3.8 again but probably with a 25 2 stroke .

Bridger marine in Exeter had both boats in stock blown up , I put them both on the floor and compared them .

The Quicksilver was heavier duty and heavier than the honda so if you want something to use really hard then it could be better .

The Honda is really well made and plenty tough enough for family use .
The Honda had larger tubes and a higher bow so I felt it would give a dryer ride .

The Inflatable floor is what made the honda best , its a sharkskin finish and takes a higher pressure with a much deeper V making the boat feel more rigid , it also extends beyond the transom giving a kind of planing pad and more lift and bouyancy at the stern.

I could just deflate the honda on my own and lift it in the van the quicksilver felt heavier
Old 01 November 2006, 17:35   #44

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Send a message via MSN to Gray
Plus you can't pack up a SR4 like you can a sib!

I'd definately prefer to see something before I bought it and travelling to the states really isn't an option!

Thanks Ian, noted.
Old 01 November 2006, 17:53   #45

Quote:

I'd definately prefer to see something before I bought it and travelling to the states really isn't an option!
Understandable. I'm somewhat tempted by this, but since I've already purchased 2 SIBs in the last 3 months (1 new 1 used), I'd better not. New FC 470s retail for about $ 20 000 U.S.
Old 01 November 2006, 18:54   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
The Quicksilver was heavier duty and heavier than the honda so if you want something to use really hard then it could be better .

The Honda is really well made and plenty tough enough for family use .
I won't be using it for family use, intention is to use it fairly hard so maybe the heavier duty one may be more suited.

The engine comes with a new prop, fuel line and fuel tank. There are currently 6 in stock and would get to pick one myself.

The honda would be a more expensive option and may well be more than the budget.
Old 01 November 2006, 19:55   #47

Gray when you say use it hard I guess you mean lots of heavy load like divers kit.
If you mean hard as in performance and handling then the Honda is the boat .

To be honest I wouldn't buy any inflatable floor for diving or heavy load carrying . Apart from the risk of puncturing the floor , heavy objects like diving bottles would be bounced about so much they would injure all the paople aboard and there is no real way to tie things like this down ,

You need a solid floor by the sounds of it
Old 01 November 2006, 21:35   #48

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
quicksilver 3.8 hd

Hi I had the misfortune to own from new a hd quicksilver 430.
I hated it, the fabric was poor, the weight was excessive, the floor kinked with only a 9.9 4 stroke on it, the floor delaminated slightly after 1 month,the towing points tore slightly after only 2 uses and only after they were used to attach to front of trailer along with 3 ratchets,the transom bailer clogs and is too fine. In short it was oversold and under built.

SOLD IT AS SOON AS I COULD.

HAVE NOW GOT PLANS TO GET A NORMAL QUICKSILVER FROM THE DEALER AS THEY ARE EXCELLENT, A 3.4 AIRDECK IS THE NEXT PURCHASE!!!
Old 02 November 2006, 00:06   #49

Quote:
To be honest I wouldn't buy any inflatable floor for diving or heavy load carrying . Apart from the risk of puncturing the floor , heavy objects like diving bottles would be bounced about so much they would injure all the paople aboard and there is no real way to tie things like this down ,
Very sage advice. I test drove an airdeck this summer in a mild chop and found all of the floor flex to give a 'feel' that I did not like at all, but that is simply personal taste. Without question, an airdeck would be extremely limiting as to what sort of cargo you can put in the boat. I think the only benefit an airdeck can offer is weight savings, but then again how much of an issue is weight with a SIB that's 14' or less? Even the heavier 14' SIBs dont go beyond 240 lbs - and when you separate out the floorboards, the fabric-transom piece is only about 150 lbs.
Old 02 November 2006, 00:17   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Hi I had the misfortune to own from new a hd quicksilver 430.
I hated it, the fabric was poor, the weight was excessive, the floor kinked with only a 9.9 4 stroke on it, the floor delaminated slightly after 1 month,the towing points tore slightly after only 2 uses and only after they were used to attach to front of trailer along with 3 ratchets,the transom bailer clogs and is too fine. In short it was oversold and under built.

SOLD IT AS SOON AS I COULD.

HAVE NOW GOT PLANS TO GET A NORMAL QUICKSILVER FROM THE DEALER AS THEY ARE EXCELLENT, A 3.4 AIRDECK IS THE NEXT PURCHASE!!!
Sorry about to hear about the ordeal with your boat. I don't have any experience with the quicksilver line, but it does seem strange that the so called 'heavy duty' line falls apart easily while the regular line is much more durable.

Often the specific model is much more important than the brand name. Zodiacs are that way. At one time, all of their SIBs they were quite well built, but now its only their military-professional SIBs (Grand Raid, FC, & HD) that will hold up to hard use. Their regular lines made with PVC have an extremely short life expectancy.
Old 02 November 2006, 14:33   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Very sage advice. I test drove an airdeck this summer in a mild chop and found all of the floor flex to give a 'feel' that I did not like at all, but that is simply personal taste. Without question, an airdeck would be extremely limiting as to what sort of cargo you can put in the boat. I think the only benefit an airdeck can offer is weight savings, but then again how much of an issue is weight with a SIB that's 14' or less? Even the heavier 14' SIBs dont go beyond 240 lbs - and when you separate out the floorboards, the fabric-transom piece is only about 150 lbs.
Light Wieght was the reason for buying and wieght was the reason for selling .

Even the honda at about 55 kg and the motor the same was too heavy to be really portable . I ended up with it all on a trailer therefore there was no point at all owning it instead of a Rib.

Pumping it up at the slipway and then fitting the motor etc even with the best electric pump was a chore and even worse at the end of a day when you were tired and beaten up by the SIB. It needed 3 adults to carry it , a transit or very large estate to transport it , an even 2 to push it on a launching trolley .

The car top idea is the best , with an extra wide roofrack , but still near impossible alone .

As for the comments about the zodiac and pvc etc , i have seen a quite a few older ones about and the PVC seems to be just as hard wearing as hypalon and it hasn't faded . Maybe there are some pvc boats that are poorly made ,as there are Hypalon , but Zodiac doesn't seem to be one of them .
Old 02 November 2006, 16:30   #52

By using it hard I don't mean divers etc, more the sea conditions and beaching it.

Doesn't sound to good bout the 430 but i'm not sure if the Honda will be in the price bracket.
Old 02 November 2006, 18:21   #53

Gray the Honda is cheaper , mine was on offer for £840 .

As for beaching they have a tough rubber protection on the keel and more at the back end ,
Old 03 November 2006, 02:33   #54

Quote:
As for the comments about the zodiac and pvc etc , i have seen a quite a few older ones about and the PVC seems to be just as hard wearing as hypalon and it hasn't faded . Maybe there are some pvc boats that are poorly made ,as there are Hypalon , but Zodiac doesn't seem to be one of them .

Maybe they have different build standards for the Euro market.
Old 03 November 2006, 07:11   #55

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Maybe they have different build standards for the Euro market.
This was our Zodiac which we sold last year, simply because we wanted family trips, and more sea action! The zodiac we had was very well made, and being virtualy brand new (had only 4 hours from new) was great for lakes and the like. Did take it out of hartlepool, the rush was superb, but soon got tired of hanging on for dear life. Comfortable they aint! Ours was a 4.2 with a 30 2 stroke mariner. Got about 23mph with 25l and 3 big fellars.
Because we trailered it everywhere anyway, we ended up getting the Rib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-05-05 084.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	22980   Click image for larger version

Name:	30-05-05 070.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	22981  
Old 03 November 2006, 13:37   #56

Nice looking boat. Is that a Mark IIc classic/touring ? Will post up some pictures of my Mark II Grand Raid when it arrives over the next few days.
Old 03 November 2006, 17:19   #57

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Yes, its the touring mark2c. If you notice, we added a bit more funcionality by putting on the a-frame and the electronics box under the bench seat. It felt a lot safer with them! And they`re so frugal! All day on a lake and you still had change from a 25 l tank! Think i might go find the owner and buy it back..... Look forward to the pics!

found some more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mercury 30hp.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	22984  
Old 04 November 2006, 16:39   #58

Town: dartmouth, devon
Boat name: no boat
Length: 5m +
has anyone had any experiance with these "c-sport" inflatables?
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F120861/
Old 04 November 2006, 16:49   #59

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
I was looking at one from the same seller about a year ago.

I was attracted by the bright colours (Yellow) and the price.

I asked the seller what brand they were and they said they import them (Probably from asia). They didn't have a brand name when I looked.

That one looks very similar the old style YAM range.

If you look on ebay theres similar imported inflatables. I decided to go for a more well known brand.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/new-inflatable...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ULYZ-270-D...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 25 November 2006, 06:27   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
Yes, its the touring mark2c. If you notice, we added a bit more funcionality by putting on the a-frame and the electronics box under the bench seat. It felt a lot safer with them! And they`re so frugal! All day on a lake and you still had change from a 25 l tank! Think i might go find the owner and buy it back..... Look forward to the pics!

found some more
Well I received the 1982 Grand Raid Mark II mentioned earlier, and finally got around inflating the main sponsons in my basement this evening. I didn't put the aluminum floor boards in as I was more concerned about checking out the condition of the fabric. Overall the fabric condition is excellent. Minor things there are a couple of spots along the keel abrasion strip that need regluing, as do a couple of small spots along the side rub straking, and a cone overlapping strip needs to be cleaned up. A couple of the bigger jobs I need t do is one side of the thrust board needs regluing, and the inflatable keel tube is completely loose from the floor fabric. The transom is absolutely solid & the floor boards are in perfect condition. For about $ 1200 CDN, once shipping was factored in, (less than 600 British Pounds) I can't complain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010149dnsz.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	23399   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010143dnsz.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	23400   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010144dnsz.jpg
Views:	211