Old 21 November 2020, 09:43   #21

Town: Perth
Boat name: S4b
Make: Funyak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 twatsu
Fabulous stuff Donny. Unbelievably relaxing.mthank you. Long may you tinker and potter!
Old 21 November 2020, 10:17   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
great video Donny its got to be worth the investment of the sail mate just for the piece and quite stunning thanks for posting
Old 21 November 2020, 10:47   #23

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Great video Donny, can't belive how quiet and peaceful Loch Chon is.
If you do get a new Optimist sail you'd need to alter your mast to accommodate a spar.
A used full rig might be the way to go, doubt if they are your colours, but there is a complete rig for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optimist-....m46890.l49292
Old 21 November 2020, 11:27   #24

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Likewise, I was going to suggest have you got any little sailing clubs with youth/Oppy fleets close by?

Judging by our local clubs, there's loads of parents for whom a slightly worn sail isn't good enough for their children, and so there's often second hand stuff available on the notice boards, which might be perfect for this project.
Old 21 November 2020, 11:58   #25

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Stevebill..great to see you are still around and thanks for the kind comments

Yup Jeff ..Im determined to get her going into wind. My first foray with sail was mostly to see how my lee board design would work. The fact it went cross wind ..and I proved that by sailing across Loch Chon..then sailing back and arriving only 10 meters from where I set off ..proved the lee boards are up to standard. I knew the very porous and poor shaped sail was not much good ..but its serving a purpose for now.

Hi PaulBrown..yup..they sail Optimists off Largs..but Lockdown rules mean I cant go there just now. When Lockdown lifts..I may just return to the sea and oily outboards again :-o

Hi Steve ..yup I have checked a few Optimist sails for sale. Im still undecided as I enjoy making things..I may order decent material and sew up a better sail.. including jib / genoa and a spinnaker if it catches my imagination. But very possibly hunt for a second hand sail around the £30 mark..someone in my home town is selling Mirror sails for £50 and they have not sold yet..so may accept £30 nearer Xmas ?

Loch Chon is lovely.. but its only a drop in the ocean compared to the bigger lochs in the Trossachs

Im looking forward to Loch Lomond and I wont be registering as Im under my own steam rowing/sailing

Loch Lubnaig ...

Loch Venacher ..

Loch Katrine...

Loch Earn ...

Loch Voil ...

And that is only scratching the surface of the number of lovely lochs in my lockdown area ..so personally ..I don’t care how long they impose the Covid rules ..its going to take me till spring to explore all these “new to me” waters. I still can believe its taken me so long to realise ..there is far more to boating than worrying how far your IC engine should be below the hull line. I have blinded myself too long with my own love of the petrol power and missed these lochs simply because a lot of lochs only allow paddling/sailing.
Old 21 November 2020, 12:44   #26

I can tell your getting the sailing bug, I can see the title for a new video "F-Rib under sail around Skye" by Donny Wilcox
Old 21 November 2020, 13:15   #27

If Im honest Steve ..I have always had the sailing bug ..but it has been in hibernation for too many years.

My uncle made me my first boat and I was sailing it solo on the Solway in the ‘70s. He built it by copying the design of a “Piccolo” .. a single sail surf board long before Optimists ..Lasers and windsurfers were ever though off.

Here I am again in the Piccolo with my brother .. the Wayfarer behind was my father’s dinghy.

Here is my mother with the keys to the Family E boat on its first outing.

So you see ... Im actually going back to my roots ..a reborn boater. ..like those old reborn motorbikers.
Old 21 November 2020, 13:47   #28

Now you are rekindling memories! I learned to sail on a Piccolo at Southport marina, before moving onto the big stuff on Coniston, or what a kid thinks is big, Wayfarer and Gp14
Even that picture of you on the Solway, reminds me of my youth. Tall, skinny with bones sticking out everywhere!
Old 21 November 2020, 14:08   #29

Ha..so you will know the Piccolo well .

I would give my right arm to have that sail back again. My uncle used TV aerial masts for its booms etc too but bought its sail. He was an architect so went to look at the boat in the showroom and while his friend talked to the salesman..he took out his measuring tape and drew up his plans from that encounter.

Its difficult for me to explain the feelings I had when the Guppy started moving under sail last week as its been at least 30 years since I sailed a boat . All those years of happy memories came flooding back when the wind flapped my home made car cover sail. Money cant buy or rekindle those memories ..its up to me to live them again ..or let them die with the covid cough.

Its why Im not rushing out to buy anthing new..I want to savour the rebirth of my sailing days with family made boats. My father made a “C” fly and GP14 too ..so Im sure he would be laughing at my antics now but proud in a way too.
Old 21 November 2020, 14:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Money cant buy or rekindle those memories ..its up to me to live them again ..or let them die with the covid cough.

Its why Im not rushing out to buy anthing new..I want to savour the rebirth of my sailing days with family made boats. My father made a “C” fly and GP14 too ..so Im sure he would be laughing at my antics now but proud in a way too.
Happy days Donny, with a lot more to come
Old 24 November 2020, 06:21   #31

Town: Chelmsford
Amazing to see those old pics Donny. When I look back at old family pics I strangely get a little sad and maudlin as I remember things and people many who have now gone..... It does not seem to do me much good sadly
Old 24 November 2020, 07:26   #32

Only my brothers and myself are around now Smallribber.. the others are long gone.. However I don’t feel sad when I think of them .. I feel proud having known them. I recall the words of the Peom “Do not stand at my grave and weep” if I start feeling sorry for myself over my loss.

But on a much brighter note .. I have been making a few modifications to the boat over the last few days.

It now has a nice grey Jib ..made from the remains of an old tent ..which I already used the rest of.. During summer I might look for abandoned tents for the main sail..there are always plenty around..left by camper who cant carry them back home.

It was much easier to work with than the patch work main sail which now has the leech extended and hopefully sorted to give some shape to the sail. Sail area is around 33% more. A better boom and a better rudder attachment for the oar rudder. Im hoping to try everything out again soon so will give another update after its next trial. Forecast is for more wind too..which should help.

I confess I have now spent £20 on the project, which is a small price for a month of fun if it doesn’t work out..but Im very hopeful it will .
Old 24 November 2020, 08:37   #33

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Only my brothers and myself are around now Smallribber.. the others are long gone.. However I don’t feel sad when I think of them .. I feel proud having known them. I recall the words of the Peom “Do not stand at my grave and weep” if I start feeling sorry for myself over my loss.

But on a much brighter note .. I have been making a few modifications to the boat over the last few days.

It now has a nice grey Jib ..made from the remains of an old tent ..which I already used the rest of.. During summer I might look for abandoned tents for the main sail..there are always plenty around..left by camper who cant carry them back home.

It was much easier to work with than the patch work main sail which now has the leech extended and hopefully sorted to give some shape to the sail. Sail area is around 33% more. A better boom and a better rudder attachment for the oar rudder. Im hoping to try everything out again soon so will give another update after its next trial. Forecast is for more wind too..which should help.

I confess I have now spent £20 on the project, which is a small price for a month of fun if it doesn’t work out..but Im very hopeful it will .
TWENTY SQUID!!?!!
You're slipping Donny!..

That's Truly great value for all that fun Mate!.....and compounded by our enjoying the videos too!
Power to you!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:58   #34

It is indeed good value and as always inspiring work.... As for the videos well I think Donny gives more joy and pleasure to people than he actually realizes or would in modesty admit.

I know when you have achieved something when my wife says to me as it gets dark and we need cheering up...... Is there a new Donny video to watch.

As always keep up the good work
Old 24 November 2020, 09:01   #35

It'll be a Gennaker next Donny!
Old 24 November 2020, 10:32   #36

Thanks for the compliments on the videos guys. Its appreciated.

When I retired early, I knew I had to fill my old working hours doing something and the videos fill a great deal of that time. Getting the footage takes a day or so, editing the clips and doing the commentary takes a day or so and making the music tracks all take time too..as I play the instruments on the keyboards.

Saving money on such a project is very easy for me.

Example..holding the oar as a rudder get a bit wearisome after an hour or so and as the oar has a hole for an inflatable boat rowlock ..the type shown for £20-30 I thought it the way to go.

Rummaging in my junk drawer I found a trailer U bolt.. cut one side off and welded it back on to form a T piece ..then mounted it in the transom fitting I made earlier. The oar rudder now cant float away if I let it go.. and its also free to angle any direction I wish.

Cleats are another item I require half a dozen of .. and cost £2 -£5 a pop. I had a piece of scrap copper water pipe that makes perfect cleats.

Loads more money saving bits and bobs in the boat too..too many to show just now

So saying..the money I saved will get a few Guinness to celebrate the bargain sailing SIB made from scrap
Old 24 November 2020, 11:25   #37

Very good indeed. Lovely making and repurposing things.

I recon you could easily find a use for a Lemonade bottle some where
Old 25 November 2020, 17:36   #38

Another quick update as I was out again today. Still left in the doldrums but on Loch Venachar this time. Unfortunately the forecast for 10mph gusting to 20mph winds did not happen.. which caused me to row 5 miles and then drift under full sail for 4 miles. I had a great time although my arms are a bit stiff now. Best way I can think of to spend a relaxing late November day and get a good workout at the same time.

The new jib and extended mainsail which appeared to have a better cut now... at 8.30 am in the morning

The far end from where I launched and hoping for a wind to blow me home

I had to make a jib pole on site ..to get the best of the slightest breeze.. the boat went same speed as rowing so Im happy for now.

Full video will follow in a day or so for those interested in progress....
Old 25 November 2020, 20:32   #39

I for one will be very interested
Old 28 November 2020, 13:56   #40

Thanks Smallribber. I finally got the video finished.. its another relaxing to watch day..but it took a fair bit of effort from me to row so far..as the wind let me down ..perhaps I can catch some wind in a lemonade bottle for next time ?

Tags
sib