Old 13 February 2019, 13:28   #21

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I love Falmouth as well, have sailed into there many times, and taken the RIB in once. A superb trip all the way up the river to Truro that we really enjoy. If you are staying there and want a slightly longer trip just outside the harbour, the Helford River is wonderful, plenty to see and do (gardens, villages, seal sanctuary), and in a SIB you could explore all the way up to Gweek at anything other than very low tide.
Old 13 February 2019, 13:36   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Many thanks again CF. We usually take a holiday cottage for two weeks... particularly if in Scotland to make the most of the travel distance. Not anti caravans as such but we do like to spread out a bit in the holiday accom.

Dog friendly area is essential as the dog always comes with us on the holiday and on the SIB. Lost the old boy last year at near on 15yrs and on the list for a puppy at the moment.

Re Scotland you are newish on here and perhaps wouldn't have read through any of our SIB stuff to see we have been visiting Scotland on foot for near on 40yrs and with boats for over a decade. Over that decade we've enjoyed three weeks in Ellary Estate cottages on Loch Caolisport and four weeks in Tayvallich on Loch Sween as well as periods near Plockton and other locations in that broad area.

Superb location for sibbing and we've only diverted to Devon/Cornwall for the past two years as the last few years in Scotland have seen rather to many cool wet days so my crew has exerted influence to head South.

Midges.. ha ha … yes we've seen a few!
Old 13 February 2019, 14:26   #23

Town: South Wales
Length: 5m +
Yes, indeed a newbie, so wasn't aware you've already experienced the delights of that part of Scotland! Ormsary & Kilberry are old haunts for my family, and that view across to Ellary House brings back no end of good memories.

Heading round from Falmouth Bay to Helford River is indeed well worth it - more "intimate" and with some great gardens to explore too. Also worth mentioning that each of the main sailing clubs around there hosts various events alongside the sailing of "Falmouth Week" - it is high season, but there are always loads of extra events, parties and entertainment for the duration which adds to the fun.

As to midges - less of seeing "a few" rather than peering through the fog of them! For such tiny specks, they don't half pack a punch!!
Old 13 February 2019, 19:17   #24

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yam 150F
I have to agree, Falmouth and in particular Mylor is a great place. I'm lucky enough to live only 10 mins from Mylor and overlook Falmouth Bay. I've owned several boats in the past and currently usually out sailing my RS700 but looking forward to this year and getting to use my Ribcraft 585 which I purchased at the end of last year (anyone want to buy a Trophy 2052??, my wife tells me I have too many boats!!) I'm also very familiar with Loch Sween and that area, spent many happy summers there on family holidays with our Zodiac Futura MkII, my dad still has it. I think he's going to sell it this year, he and my mum have decided they've had enough of being bounced around and have commandeered my Orkney 14 when they come to stay and want to potter round the Carrick Roads. Windsport along from Mylor Marina are very helpful and offer a good base, plenty of parking for boats and trailers.
Old 13 February 2019, 22:37   #25

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Falmouth itself has plenty to see & do within easy walk from the harbour area. Some already mentioned.
Trago Mills worth a look simply for the bewildering range of stuff they stock!
Bosun's Locker chandlery in the town centre

A little further away Macsalvors chandlery at Penryn, although if you're at Mylor you've got Mylor Chandlery.
Robin Curnow at Penryn (opposite Macsalvors) for engine matters.

As you sail up the Fal you'll notice areas of concrete reaching down to the river which appear to serve no purpose.
These were the embarkation points for troops, vehicles & equipment for D-Day.
There's a plaque near Tolverne Cottage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolverne
Old 14 February 2019, 09:31   #26

Another snippet of useless information - it's also the home port for the RFA Argus which was used & called USS Argus in the Brad Pitt film 'World War Z'.
Old 14 February 2019, 12:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
Windsport along from Mylor Marina are very helpful and offer a good base, plenty of parking for boats and trailers.
Yes, Brain & Cookie Phipps are great - really helpful & knowledgeable, good parking for cars & trailers and lots of other watercraft to hire & play with.

Mind you, I am biased, as they were guests at my wedding!
Old 15 February 2019, 14:11   #28

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
we stayed in the cottages in mylor harbour some years back with the rib launched and put it on the pontoon for a week superb food on site, chandlers great set up.

went up the river to truro too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	128476   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	128477   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	128478  
Old 15 February 2019, 20:52   #29

Jeff did you stay in the cottages in your first image just behind the dinghy park... that's where we're thinking of.
Old 15 February 2019, 21:57   #30

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Jeff did you stay in the cottages in your first image just behind the dinghy park... that's where we're thinking of.
David we stayed in the cottages which is part of the marina just behind the restaurant behind the boat lift dog friendly. it was off the boat into the pub at lunch time for a quick shandy relax in the sun watch the world go by a wash and brush up for dinner a few schooners off to bed breakfast in the restaurant if required or on the patio off in the boat and do it all again for 7 days one of the best boating weeks we've had if you stay anywhere near the marina it will suit you down to the ground with your set up very easy slip with a pontoon walkway trailer parking a stones throw away perfect. Lot of river to visit sheltered just a great place. Someone mentioned Mcsalvors man cave wife took my wallet off me
Old 16 February 2019, 08:25   #31

Excellent Jeff, really appreciate the info. We already have our early summer week booked not too far from us as we have some family responsibilities throughout the first half of this year this year and don't want to stray too far.

But we're hopefully looking at a second week late summer and Mylor gets my vote… or might even early book a couple of weeks next year.

I don't know why we've not notice the area before when holiday searching on Google maps... the more I investigate the more perfect it looks for sibbing… particularly with our downsized motor as there's loads to do and places to visit without going too far along the coast.

I see there is a 5kt speed limit at Mylor and an 8kt limit around Falmouth Inner Harbour… I assume that's just between Falmouth and Flushing but unlimited in Carrick Roads??
Old 16 February 2019, 19:54   #32

https://www.falmouthharbour.co.uk/ 30 knots.

There is a designated & buoyed waterskiing area opposite Falmouth roughly between St Mawes & Pasco's boatyard.

Jet Skis and Water Skiing in Falmouth
Old 16 February 2019, 20:12   #33

Hi Fenlander, the speed limits are just around the marina at Mylor, pretty much once you leave the moorings then open the throttle!! Once you get into the various creaks there's a limit, but the whole of the Carrick Roads is not restricted, then again as you mention once you get into Falmouth inner harbour, same applies for St Mawes and the Helford. If you want any local knowledge then feel free to give me a shout.
Old 17 February 2019, 10:44   #34

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Excellent Jeff, really appreciate the info. We already have our early summer week booked not too far from us as we have some family responsibilities throughout the first half of this year this year and don't want to stray too far.

But we're hopefully looking at a second week late summer and Mylor gets my vote… or might even early book a couple of weeks next year.

I don't know why we've not notice the area before when holiday searching on Google maps... the more I investigate the more perfect it looks for sibbing… particularly with our downsized motor as there's loads to do and places to visit without going too far along the coast.

I see there is a 5kt speed limit at Mylor and an 8kt limit around Falmouth Inner Harbour… I assume that's just between Falmouth and Flushing but unlimited in Carrick Roads??
David it's perfect for you and your set up, two weeks would give plenty of sibing time if the weather blows up for a few days, on a good day the helford river is within reach and a nice plesent place to be at displacement speed the whole area doesn't disappoint
Old 18 February 2019, 04:47   #35

Boat name: Harbinger
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200
MMSI: 232 013 330
+1 for Helford River. The Ferryboat at Helford passage is well worth a visit these days. Incidentally, I believe there is now a 30knot speed limit in Carrick Roads. The temporary limit introduced in 2016 was extended permanently in 2017.
Old 20 February 2019, 11:47   #36

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
This tread has so much useful info it should almost be a sticky in its own right! Thanks guys will be saving all this useful stuff for my next trip down to the land of giant pasties [emoji1303]
Old 20 February 2019, 16:12   #37

Yes, this thread has flagged up lots of great tips about the area! As to why the area "goes unnoticed" - because those in the know realise just what a little paradise it is, and keep it as a jealously guarded secret!!

As others have said, there are indeed the couple of speed restricted areas, but they all "make sense" given where they are relative to lines of moorings / more trafficked areas around harbours or channels. But never in the hundreds of days on the water in the bay have I ever felt "held back" - and there is plenty of wide open water to play in when desired.
Old 20 February 2019, 22:14   #38

>>> the land of giant pasties

All looks & sounds great... until you mention the pasties... can't do pasties before a run out in a SIB given the usual bumpy chop we seem to find everywhere.

But yep great area from everything said and all the research I've done. In fact just a little grumbly I've bowed to family needs for a shorter & nearer summer holiday this year which is already booked.
Old 20 February 2019, 22:30   #39

And just remember all........jam first!!!! Those who know, know!!
Old 21 February 2019, 19:15   #40

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
And just remember all........jam first!!!! Those who know, know!!
Is that the double ender dinner and pudding

Tags
sib