Old 26 July 2018, 11:09   #1

Town: swindon
Boat name: no name
Make: sun sport
Length: 3m +
Engine: electric
Sibbing in Cornwall

Hi this may have been asked before but couldn't find the answer. I have just booked up for a week at Little Winnick Toring Park wish is just up the road from Pentewan sands. Am looking for somewhere to launch my sunsport arib 350 with 15hp ob using launch wheels as wont be taking the trailer, so would need parking for the transit van as well.

Any ideas within 20 is miles would be great
Old 26 July 2018, 11:43   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
We researched this whole area before choosing to stay in Fowey for our holiday a few weeks back. I wonder if there is a possibility of using Cornwall Watersports (01726 842939) parking/facility on Pentewan Sands itself? Might be a fair pull on soft sand though.

We came to the conclusion there were many nice looking places to launch off beaches but they were all such long pulls through soft sand on transom wheels... particularly when the tide was out.

Fowey has to be a possibility. There is a decent slip (FOC) but you need to pay harbour dues and car parking. There is loads of room at the top of the slip to set up then you can park the van in the one immed adj the slip or another less busy one a two min walk away.

Fowey is about a 10ml journey from where you're staying but a bit slow so may take 20+ mins.... more when busy.

Mevagissey harbour is only a few miles in the other direction but their slipway seems to be covered with local dinghys and debris as if they don't want it used. Entry to the inner harbour where the slip is located is by permission of the harbourmaster. Limited parking. I'd phone the harbourmaster if you wanted to check this out.

Next round from there is Gorran Haven where the village road ends up at the beach. Doesn't seem any room to setup at this point and the car park is a fair trundle away.

Hopefully someone local to that area might have some ideas.
Old 26 July 2018, 18:07   #3

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If you want a long day out you might want to consider launching into the Fal, Pasco's boatyard at St Just worth considering which would give you access to Falmouth, St Mawes & the Pandora Inn at Restronguet. If you go to the last tie up on their pontoon & take a rope & a flag to help you climb to the top of their crab sandwiches!
Welcome to the Pandora Inn
Old 26 July 2018, 20:03   #4

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I wonder if there is a possibility of using Cornwall Watersports (01726 842939) parking/facility on Pentewan Sands itself? Might be a fair pull on soft sand though.
Last year when we stayed on Pentewan you could launch from there even if you weren't staying on the park but as Fenlander says, it's a fair pull and yes, the last 50yds or so up the beach is VERY soft sand and quite steep uphill. Launching when the tide was in was quite 'eventful' as well because of the slope and strong breaking waves. There are (or were) heavyweight rubber tracks down to the sea which you can roll on, however, the guy at Cornwall Watersports pulled us up to the car park each day with his tractor on the front end and our launch wheels rolling on the tracks for a fiver a go. It was well worth it!
Old 27 July 2018, 22:49   #5

Town: Liskeard
Boat name: So What
Make: Avon R3-40
Engine: 4hp Mariner 2-S
mrmike, Fowey is your best bet for a day out. Park at Caffa Mill. Nice concrete slip FOC. Parking isn't cheap but overflow car park 100 yards back up the road is £5 per day. Lots to see in Fowey harbour. Polruan, across the harbour has free pontoon. Drinks for your lunch from The Lugger. If sea is flattish you can explore coast outside harbour. Yesterday I went with my wife in our Avon 3.4m 4hp Mariner round Gribbin Head to Polkerris.
Depending on tide you can also explore upriver towards Lostwithiel. You can also tie up at the pontoon and explore Fowey itself. A lovely town. Church, castle, museum, restaurants, pubs, shops. Magic.
Further afield, Falmouth is a good day out, and, my local is Saltash - free parking and launching (concrete slip) access to Devonport Dockard, the river Lynher, Plymouth Sound, The Hoe. A lovely day out. Enjoy your holiday.
Old 28 July 2018, 06:17   #6

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Go for the Fowey option as described above. ^^^^^
It sounds altogether a better bet than struggling at Pentewan Sands !
Old 28 July 2018, 20:24   #7

Town: swindon
Boat name: no name
Make: sun sport
Engine: electric
Thanks all for some great info. will add these in the notebook looking good have a few great sounding places to choose from now. Just hope we get some nice weather when we are down that way. If not am down bridport way for the week before so will try to get out if weather allows. I do like castle town public slip into Portland harbour.

Tags
sib