Old 12 August 2012, 08:20   #1

Town: Lymm, Cheshire
Boat name: Nemo
Make: Seapro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15.
Sib upgrade?

Hello Folks, long time stalker, first time poster!!

We (read I!) am looking to upgrade our SIB.

It's ticked a few boxes but I'd like a bit more room in it and something little quicker to store/fold up. The kids and wife likes it and so without a massive expense we worked out it's ok for the family.

We currently have a Seapro 340 HD and its a smashing boat but with all the junk we carry on days out, it get's a little cramped!

When we got it, we also got a Mery 15 HP 2 stroke which is a older engine but starts on the button and is easy to handle in and out of the camper or the box trailer we use to carry it in.

The only downside I have is that when solo, if I open the rig up and try and balance it out, it feels a bit twitchy?? it could be me getting the balance/ trim wrong. But it's fine at other times and it planes well with no porpoising.

Either way, I think the engine is staying if its up to it and looking at something like a Zodiac Futura easy roller (maybe ally boards or air deck) the Mk2c or Compact (so that would be around 3.8 - 4.1 mtrs)

Questions are:-

Will it be more stable at speed solo?
Quicker to pack up?
Will the 15 Hp bring it up on plane (2 adults 1 or 2 kids)?

Or do I look at the next Seapro up (380 I think)and save a couple of thousand on the new price!!?
Old 12 August 2012, 09:22   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

You mention you have a box trailer that you tow, so it wouldn't be out of the question to tow a SIB instead? Only reason I say that - is if you're considering upgrading, then take a slightly bigger step and get something on a trailer.

I used to have a 1986 Zodiac MkII CGT with a Yamaha 25hp (sold the engine - still have the boat). It's the HD version with aluminium floorboards, etc. Fantastic boat, very safe, and fast with 2 up. If I was ever out myself - I used to put ballast up front in the form of a couple of bags of sand. Because I used it on the west coast - it was inflated and deflated for the holiday and stored over there. The 25hp engine was just about the limit for transporting myself.

The 15hp you have - with a Zodiac MkIIC Futura will be okay, but it's going to labour with more weight, especially as the kids grow and want to do other things with the boat.

An ideal engine for this boat would be 25hp, but they're rated for 40hp - so you can imagine it would fly. The up shot is that you would have to keep it inflated on a trailer, as you really don't want to be dismantling every trip and trying to install a larger engine. That said, there's nothing stopping you putting some of your camping gear in the boat when trailering, strapped down of course.

Bridger Marine has a Zodiac Futura here - looks mint and a good price too. Pennine Marine Ltd > Bombard Aerotec 380 Preowned

Alternatively if you could keep the 15hp engine but upgrade the SIB - then Pennine Marine have a Bombard 380 Aerodeck here: Pennine Marine Ltd > Bombard Aerotec 380 Preowned

Good luck anyway and keep us updated.
Old 12 August 2012, 09:56   #3

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do see where your coming from and it's something I have toyed with too.

The box trailer get used for everything else too (tip runs, camping when not using the boat and general things like picking up a fridge/washer...you get the idea)

It also stows on its back so doesn't take up much room in the garage. An extra trailer/boat combo would need storing and we dont really have the space (or want to pay for storage for it as this would be deemed a minus point in the wifes eyes!! we've been there before with our old wakeboarding boat, so folding is my only real option I think)

Also, some of the camp sites we visit dont allow launching from trailers, where I can get away with it on transom wheels and smaller outboards.

So the futura would struggle with the 15 I have?. Is that the smaller Zodiac?

I was kind of hoping that the speed tubes would allow it to have less resistance and therefore less drag (but I've got to get it up to planning speed first )

So if I want to jump up, looks like I need to look at a 25hp for the Mk2. That Bombard looks good, just that bit longer too and not far from me.

Has anyone got a view on the Seapro 380 HD?
Old 12 August 2012, 13:43   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk1Rally View Post
So the futura would struggle with the 15 I have?. Is that the smaller Zodiac?

I was kind of hoping that the speed tubes would allow it to have less resistance and therefore less drag (but I've got to get it up to planning speed first )

So if I want to jump up, looks like I need to look at a 25hp for the Mk2. That Bombard looks good, just that bit longer too and not far from me.
The MkIIC is smaller at 3.7m. Min 15hp to max 40hp
The MkII Futura is 4.1m. Min 20hp to max 50hp
http://www.zodiacmarine.co.uk/

The MkIIC Futura would be fine with a 25hp. 40hp will be no use if you're deflating and man-handling on your own. If you were transporting the Zodiac (comes in 2 bags) and the engine in the box trailer - it's probably portable enough as long as you don't suffer from a weak back and get close enough to a slipway to launch

Building the boat with aluminium floor boards is relatively straight forward. With practice you can probably arrive, build, inflate and hook the engine on in under 1 hour. Getting the stringers on (the aluminium supports that the floor locks into) can be a pain, but practice makes perfect.

The 15hp will be adequate, and I'm sure will achieve planing speed with 2 adults, however 25hp is what I'd look for long-term. Bridger Marine also have a Mariner 25hp. Check out the Mariner at John Bridger Marine (used outboards).
Old 12 August 2012, 15:40   #5

The seapro HD has a alloy floor and I must admit, it's pretty easy to do on that one but I have spoke to other owners of other sibs with allo floors that have struggled.

I fancied the fast roller future with the pump up floor if it was a quicker build or break down. Is that a single bag or twin like the alloy floors?

I've only ever had this sib and older ones, many years ago with slatted or wooden floors. How good are these high pressure air floors for strength and weight?
Old 12 August 2012, 16:13   #6

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Quote:
Has anyone got a view on the Seapro 380 HD?
I have the Prowave 380 with the Ali floor. (very similar to the Seapro)

Very happy with it, goes well with a 15hp although with heavy loads it takes a while to plane.

Once you get used to setting up it's easy.

Very stable and good all round in my opinion.

Only downside is its a bit heavy but I still mange to launch/recover on my own on launch wheels, just!
Old 13 August 2012, 18:57   #7

Boat name: Classic Mark II C
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 15HP Honda
I have a Zodiac Classic Mk2C, with a 15HP Honda, and it works fine! I usually go out with just my daughter, and it planes quickly. I've taken it out solo, and it balances fine. I took it out with 2 adults and 2 children the other day (640 pounds + gear + fuel), and it was just able to plane, but it took a lot of effort to get there. I estimate that the max a 15HP can handle on my boat is 600 lbs passengers + full gear.

Top speed is 21 MPH. Even with the 4 occupants, top speed was 19 MPH (once I got it to plane)

I also trailer mine. Makes it very easy

I LOVE my Zodiac
Old 13 August 2012, 18:59   #8

Boat name: Classic Mark II C
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 15HP Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
The MkIIC is smaller at 3.7m. Min 15hp to max 40hp
I thought "recomended" range was 8HP - 25HP, and maximum allowed was 35