Old 03 May 2022, 08:37   #1

Town: Biggar
Boat name: Virgo67
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha F15
SIB towing a smaller SIB

I'm lucky to have a Honwave T38IE and a new Boatworld 270 (for solo inland trips). I'm aiming on doing a family multi night camping trip this Summer around Cumbrae+Bute and need to take quite a bit of camping gear (x2 adults one child), was wondering if I could use the 270 rib for cargo (fill it with all the camping gear/fuel/water/food etc) and tow it behind my T38IE which will have a Yam F15 on it? Does this make any sense rather than filling one boat to the gunnels.

Any pros/cons/tips on towing (length of tow, balance of cargo SIB)

I could try a dry tow run with a test load

thx
Old 03 May 2022, 09:36   #2

I would think that whether it's genius or folly probably depends on the state of the water when doing it?
Old 03 May 2022, 09:39   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Personally although it is of course possible I'd keep your kit to the absolute minimum bulk and weight so you manage in the T38.

Edit: Yes as above much depends on the state of the water and the speeds you expect. Towing on a river at displacement speed is OK but at sea the tow may be very snatchy if any sea state at all... and mean you are never able to plane.
Old 03 May 2022, 09:50   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Personally I think that has disaster written all over it. You won’t be able to plane, manoeuvring will be virtually impossible and you’ll probably end up ripping the towing point of the “trailer” vessel. Apart from that it should be ok[emoji849]. Just take less crap kit. Half the fun is seeing how far you can push with minimal kit.
All imho of course.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2022, 10:34   #5

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Hard enough towing another boat with someone aboard it to help by steering & trying to keep in line with you.

On its own even with a rudder/outboard locked dead ahead variations in current & wave are going to cause the towed boat to veer off to one side or the other.

Either reduce your kit & use one boat or travel in convoy with the other one under its own power.

Might be a good excuse to buy a bigger boat
Old 03 May 2022, 18:06   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Doing the wild camping has taught me a lot camping can be very light weight if you look on YouTube at the walk-in wild campers Paul messner is one who does gear reviews and wild camps very interesting. Towing in my mind is emergency only if the sea blows up the towed boat will put extreme pressure on the transom of the towing boat.
Old 03 May 2022, 19:18   #7

Re emergency towing, my father would put the line around the outboard leg rather than use a cleat which even to those day I struggle to mechanically reconcile. Obviously, dinghy cleats into a bit of board aren't going to be strong but he is an engineer and stated that as it was the engine that was doing the pushing then it was the most secure point to then do the pulling. I recall him using the dory to tow a 40' yacht by this method. I can understand the logic but still do t fully believe.
Old 03 May 2022, 21:51   #8

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi, I can't see this having a happy ending.

The tow SIB (T38) won't plane, it'll manage displacement speed only. Whomever is on the tiller will have a nerve racking trip to Cumbria trying to keep the T38 and the towed SIB in line. The towed SIB will wander and want to pull the T38 wherever it goes, putting a lot of strain on the D rings/transom. The likely outcome will be a swamped towed SIB.

I'd suggest reassessing how much camping gear you need to take, travel a lot lighter and maybe buy your provisions on Bute once you've set up camp.

But it would make an interesting thread if you do decide to go for it.
Old 04 May 2022, 07:36   #9

Town: Wirral, Merseyside
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 200hp
MMSI: 235109239
RIBase
I really wouldn't do it. As everyone has said, this has disaster written all over it. Can you not get a second engine then the other adult might skipper the second SIB and you just remain close to each other? Or give what you are proposing a try on a dry run, but I think that you'll find the second SIB wanders from side to side uncontrollably. We’ve tried towing a SIB with our RIB and even at low speed with a very short tow to stop veering, it puts a hell of a strain on the towing points on the SIB.
Old 04 May 2022, 08:53   #10

Arguably, it may be more logical to load the car and take that to the point where you plan to set camp for a few days and then set the boat up and use that for moving around.

I think that to make two trips on two different days, with a pair of laden boats, one in tow is asking for particularly benign conditions to occur at the exact times that you need which in the U.K. could be argued to be a definition of insanity. Add in the random variables of the potential for emotional breakdowns of outboards, weather, children, partners and ultimately yourself and you're not immediately looking at a brilliant holiday.

Given that it's a holiday with your partner and your child I would hazard that for you to have any pleasure you must prioritise the principle of KISS.
Old 04 May 2022, 08:57   #11

Town: Biggar
Boat name: Virgo67
Make: Honwave
Engine: Yamaha F15
thanks for all the info/feedback and knowledge sharing. I think I'll travel as light as I can (not towing) but that's going to be hard with two lady passengers.
Old 04 May 2022, 10:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo67 View Post
thanks for all the info/feedback and knowledge sharing. I think I'll travel as light as I can (not towing) but that's going to be hard with two lady passengers.
How long would the crossing take? Can you take the kit in your own while the family sit in a pub?

Old 04 May 2022, 14:10   #13

Town: USA
Boat name: Smoke
Make: Zar Formenti
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100
Quote:

My husband and I took several cross-country (USA) trips together on his motorcycle. He told me I could take anything I wanted--as long as it all fit in a shoe box.
Old 04 May 2022, 14:46   #14

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Funnily enough I was thinking of my near neighbours, older husband and wife couple, who motorcycle tour Europe camping with everything they need in a pair of panniers and top box. So yes I think if the ladies of the sibbing party want to go they need to embrace the camping life.
Old 04 May 2022, 14:54   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Funnily enough I was thinking of my near neighbours, older husband and wife couple, who motorcycle tour Europe camping with everything they need in a pair of panniers and top box. So yes I think if the ladies of the sibbing party want to go they need to embrace the camping life.

Many moons ago, myself, wife & teenage daughter went on an exotic diving holiday to a far flung destination. All of our luggage allowances were taken up with diving gear. I bought 3 carry on bags, one each. All of our clothes/shoes/toiletries etc for a 2 week “posh” holiday had to fit in the cabin bags. We still brought home stuff we hadn’t worn.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 04 May 2022, 15:03   #16

Kit does have a tendency to naturally expand to fill the available space.
Old 06 May 2022, 13:07   #17
Spammer

Quote:
...two lady passengers....
A man is going camping, far off in the woods in the middle of no where, and sleeping in a tent , with two women.

Instead of offering advice, we should be asking for it.
Old 06 May 2022, 13:36   #18

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
A man is going camping, far off in the woods in the middle of no where, and sleeping in a tent , with two women.

Instead of offering advice, we should be asking for it.
Really!!!!!!!!

Family trip, 2 adults and 1 child, probably his daughter.

Opps!!
Old 06 May 2022, 15:01   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Really!!!!!!!!

Family trip, 2 adults and 1 child, probably his daughter.

Opps!!

Maybe they do things differently in Canada 🥴

Tags
sib