Old 05 September 2013, 00:13   #1

Town: Australia
Boat name: none
Make: JP Marine 3.8 Patrol
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
SIB Solo Safety Line

I have been thinking (a bad move) about the merit of using a safety line, in addition to the kill switch line, to connect me to a SIB in the event that I am tossed out of the boat when boating solo.

The way I see it inflatables will probably drift faster than I can swim and the safety line will at least keep me connected. Or am I being anal?
Old 05 September 2013, 00:18   #2

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
You'd probably wanna keep a knife on you incase you had to get away from the SIB quickly, if say the outboard and fuel tank caught fire........
Old 05 September 2013, 00:47   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I think connecting yourself to a fast moving anything where there is a likelyhood of it and you parting company suddenly isnt a great idea. You could find yourself out of the boat and hitting the outboard whether still turning or not. Your probably right about the boat moving away faster than you can get to it if you come out. My solution is to go prepared, especially if you are boating alone. Get yourself one of those lovely Australian PLB units - the GME ones, and glue it to you to give yourself a plan B.
In the colder waters around the UK it would be a case of Immersion/dry suit as well, however you may need some shark repellant down under !
Take a handheld VHF also - doesnt hurt to have 2 methods of shouting for help. Maybe attaching 30 feet of line to you and the boat would be an answer, but to be honest I wouldnt attach myself to the boat with anything other than a kill cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasdes View Post
I have been thinking (a bad move) about the merit of using a safety line, in addition to the kill switch line, to connect me to a SIB in the event that I am tossed out of the boat when boating solo.

The way I see it inflatables will probably drift faster than I can swim and the safety line will at least keep me connected. Or am I being anal?
Old 05 September 2013, 00:53   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'm with you there too-it'd be a pretty bad move to get ejected and end up with a line round your neck while the boat's still moving.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2013, 06:41   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
...but to be honest I wouldnt attach myself to the boat with anything other than a kill cord.
+1
Old 05 September 2013, 06:50   #6

Town: Australia
Boat name: none
Make: JP Marine 3.8 Patrol
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Thanks for your replies. Yor comments seem to be unaminous and make sense. I will be unattached.

Although, sometimes I think that if .... No forget it.

Just remembir to wear my EPIRB.
Old 05 September 2013, 07:08   #7

PLB is the way forward if you're solo and in the middle of nowhere, I'd never tie myself to the boat with anything other than a kill cord
Old 05 September 2013, 07:12   #8

Length: 7m +
Having a line connected to you probably increases the risk of getting tangled up in the boat or when ejected more chance of hitting the boat, I wouldn't advise it. Like you say best to wear kill cord and keep a personal epirb in your pocket along with a knife and also think about a handheld VHF attached to your lifejacket. That way if you get ejected youve got the epirb if no one is around plus the handheld VHF and if other boats are around you could do a pan pan on the VHF for assistance.
Old 05 September 2013, 07:39   #9

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
If your in quiet open waters & your that worried about it
towing a long floating line behind may be a better option so that you can swim to that than try catching up the drifting boat , unless you can rig up a simple & safe system of deploying a parachute type sea anchor/ drouge to slow down the boats drift ,, I can think of a few ways but there's always going to be the risk of getting the line wrapped around a limb .

Best way is not to fall out or get ejected in the first place less risk if your inside the boat than sitting on the tubes/ sponsons .