Old 19 April 2006, 14:41   #1

Town: NC
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30
SIB Seats

Have a 4.5m Avon SIB with no seats. Want to make it a little more comfortable and get some basic seating that is easily removable. Thinking of cutting plywood boards to lay accross the tubes and tying to the D rings. Also thinking of attaching to the plywood some swivel seats so the wife will be more comfortable. Will the plywood and seats put too much strain on the tubes or D rings? Any other suggestions on seating?
Other options/thought is to get inflatable seats that sit on the floor and secure to D rings with webbing. Securing some sort of base to the aluminum floor and mount the seats on that.
Thanks
Old 26 April 2006, 20:55   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Probably won't hurt the tubes or rings, but it will hurt your passenger's butt when the plywood breaks.

Take a look at the many other varieties of seating available for inflatables - primarily thwart seats (basically an inflatable bolster.) Tie it side to side, and off you go (sorry; didn't see you had mentioned that.)

Not sure what Avon uses for it's flooring, but if the aluminum is like what I had in my Achilles, you're going to want to use a decent backing plate on anything you're going to mount (especially pedestal seats, which are going to have a decent leverage arm trying to rip it free.)

Also, keep an eye on how high the seat ends up. Wouldn't want to be sitting too high should the swells kick up a bit...

jky
Old 27 April 2006, 02:49   #3

Thanks: You've brought up several issues that I'm trying to work through. Actually thinking about plywood tied to the tubes, then using inflatable seats that can be secured somehow. Put the seats on top of the plywood when water is smooth, move the seats to the floor and the plywood supports the seat back when going get a little tougher. Need to find some seats that are sturdy enough. Any thoughts.
Old 27 April 2006, 17:09   #4

I was actually looking at these (assuming I can tie them down well enough):

http://www.e-searider.com/

Problem is, they look like they take up a fair amount of real estate on the boat, and they'd be a bit pricey for 4 seats. They are reputed to be very comfortable, though, and apparently hold up pretty well.

I'm trying to set up easily removable 4 person seating for the front of my RIB (console and pilot seat is pushed all the way back; front is open space), and have yet to come up with a final solution.

jky
Old 27 April 2006, 18:34   #5

Good seats but are they too cumbersome?
I was looking at an inflatable kayak seat made by Crazy Creek. Found them at Cabelas. Has a 600d inflatable cushion and webbing and clamps for back support and strapping down. Portable enough but don't know if they are strong enough. Probably need to be strengthened or reinforced somehow. I've got some stadium seats of similiar design that I was going to try first. Hopefully this weekend if the weather holds. Go to:
www.cabelas.com Search for kayak seats
Old 28 April 2006, 18:36   #6

Don't know if they'd be all that cumbersome (that's a pretty subjective statement; in any case, I probably have a bit more room than you do.)

The seats on my boat would be for people who don't normally boat or dive, and it wouldn't be for white-knuckle trips. Boaters and divers can either stand and hold the console grab rail, or sit on the tubes.

I figure I can get 4 of the seats in pretty easily, ideal, if I can tie them in facing forwards. I can probably fit more in, if I can do without pass-through access to the front of the boat (or be willing to clamber over the tubes around the seats.)

Don't know about the kayak seats; the only thing I'd worry about is the lack of seat height making them a bit uncomfortable after a while (it's tough sitting on your butt with your legs out in front of you for any length of time; moreso if you're being bounced around...)

Not sure how you'd reinforce those, either.

jky
Old 28 April 2006, 19:11   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
My sib has a bench seat across the tubes , and I have stopeed using it . It just gets in the way, and you sit way too high up on it . Its only good for rowing the boat in my opinion , which I rarely do.

I think the inflatale round seat are the way to go and sit astride them .

I have 3 inflatable rollers and I used them the other day lashed together in the middle of the boat .My passenger sat astride them because he was complaining about the bumpy ride . Poor thing .

My boat is an air v floor so the rollers sit in the v qite well .

Iam going to experiment with them when its just me in the boat to get my wieght central.
Old 30 April 2006, 17:55   #8

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hello folks

Having given my SIB a real bashing over the past few years I have tried various seating arangements and have finally settled on what I consider the best option.

The attached picture shows my setup. I have a 'seat' in the middle which is actualy used to mount my GPS and compass - not for anyone to sit on. I sit on the floor in the back to operate the tiller and my passenger (if any) sits in the bow. We both sit on the floor (mine is one of those inflatable floors). The reasons for this are simple: 1) it's comfy 2) it's safer. It is safer becuase when you are bouncing about you are much more secure, also it keeps the weight where you want it - low down.

If we are just pottering about then I may sit on the tube.

To fit a plywood seat or 'instrument platform' you need some seat webbing attachments for the tubes. Available here: http://www.inflatable-boat-supplies.co.uk/ Look under 'Quicksilver Inflatables' then 'Inflatable Accessories' (a google search on this is NOT recommended)...

You cut the plywood to fit (see photograph) and having glued the webbing bit on to the tubes you need a plastic bracket thingy to slot into the webbing strap. This can be made by cutting some plastic plumbing pipe and then bending it to fit using a heat gun. When it cools it will stay in shape (unlike me!). You then screw this to the underside of the seat, deflate the tubes a bit and slot it in. Reinflate the tubes and away you go.

Having crossed the Pentland Firth in my SIB and also had many encounters with aggressive seas I can definiteley recommend sitting on the floor and holding on!

Keith (give your SIB some welly) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-321F.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	18736  
Old 30 April 2006, 18:07   #9

Here are Noel and me in the middle of the Pentland Firth at WOT. You will see that Noel is hanging on VERY tightly. I would not like to try this sort of SIB trip whilst sat up on the seat.

Keith (soft bottom) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seating-sib.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	18739  
Old 30 April 2006, 18:19   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Nice to see you and your brackets again!

CH(ee)rs
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2006, 18:24   #11

Hi Rogue Wave, or may I call you Rogue?

Are those two I gave away last year?

BTW J Newton if you fancy some real SIB exploring how about a trip up here and I'll show you some spectacular SIBBING.

Keith ((((( some surplus left ones) Hart
Old 30 April 2006, 18:33   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
yew can call me wot yew like buddy.

BTW those brackets are listing to Port, they haven't come off a Scorpion have they

H() H() H()
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2006, 01:48   #13

Hey Jasaki

Spent some time looking at SeaRider seats. On second thought, looks pretty interesting. A cheap test may be to buy a cheap beanbag somewhere and try it out. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Just make sure it doesent pop, it would be a bitch to clean up.
Old 01 May 2006, 18:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNewton
Just make sure it doesent pop, it would be a bitch to clean up.
LOL.

"Coast Guard; I think a RIB just exploded. Disappeared in a bunch of little white dots..."

jky