Old 21 September 2012, 21:28   #1

Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Sib seat repair.

Hi wonder if you can help.
A week ago the seatbelt material that supports the seat on my sib came out of the pocket where I assume it is glued. The repair should be simple but what kind of adhesive would you recommend?

Any help I would appreciate it
Cheers
Peter

Cheers
Old 21 September 2012, 22:14   #2
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridge View Post
Hi wonder if you can help.
A week ago the seatbelt material that supports the seat on my sib came out of the pocket where I assume it is glued. The repair should be simple but what kind of adhesive would you recommend?

Any help I would appreciate it
Cheers
Peter

Cheers
Hi Peter, the webbing will have been originally glued and stitched to form a single seat retaining patch. The most robust approach will be to remove the complete seat retaining patch and glue-on a new ready made patch. Glue will be dependant upon what your tube is made from i.e. 2 part pvc glue for pvc/pu tubes or 2-part hypalon glue for hypalon tubes. If you tubes are hypalon and the new patch is pvc then you wil need to prime the pvc patch first with pvc glue before affixing with the 2 part hypalon glue.

Chris
Old 28 September 2012, 17:59   #3

Thanks Chris, if I were to get it repaired properly who would be able to do it as I assume it isn't anything I can do myself. A less robust way would be to lather it in 2 part glue and let it dry....or would that be totally crap?
Old 28 September 2012, 18:26   #4
Trade member

Quote:
Thanks Chris, if I were to get it repaired properly who would be able to do it as I assume it isn't anything I can do myself. A less robust way would be to lather it in 2 part glue and let it dry....or would that be totally crap?
Hi Gridge, It really needs to be sewn and glued. Unless you know someone local to you/mates rates etc, with an industrial sewing machine (but you would still need to remove the old patch to re-sew/glue the webbing) then the most cost effective route is likely to be to simply remove the old patch and affix a new one. We sell the seat retaining strap patches ready made - see here or happy to repair for you but it would cost more to repair than the replacement patch (throwaway society)
Old 03 October 2012, 08:45   #5

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
As Ribstore said, the cost effective way would be to replace the old strap with new, however you may not get an exact colour match.
Repairing the existing strap would keep the "original" look if that is important to you.
Old 14 October 2012, 21:09   #6

Thanks for the responses guys, Chris, if I were to buy stuff to remove the old and clean, prepare and stick the new what would I need? Also are there instructions?

I have also found a coup,e of pinholes in the floor.. What do I need to fix those and how?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15 October 2012, 07:36   #7
Trade member

Quote:
Chris, if I were to buy stuff to remove the old and clean, prepare and stick the new what would I need? Also are there instructions?

I have also found a coup,e of pinholes in the floor.. What do I need to fix those and how?
Hi Gridge, If the existing patch is glued then some gentle warming should loosen the glue plus some solvent to help further remove the old glue residue (best not to mix the hot air and the solvent) [use MEK or acetone for PVC/Toluene for Hypalon], affix new patch with ToobBond 2-part Hypalon glue for Hypalon fabric or 2-part Ribstore PVC glue for PVC.

Assming that you have a single layer fabric floor? then the easiest approach would be to apply small fabric patches (min 50mm overlap), use the matching solvent & glue, as above. Hypalon, PVC and PU fabric (patches or cut from the roll) is here

Generic glueing instructions are here (amongst other help & advice guides) and there are also detailed instructions on the glue labels.

Cheers
Old 15 October 2012, 12:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribstore

Hi Gridge, If the existing patch is glued then some gentle warming should loosen the glue plus some solvent to help further remove the old glue residue (best not to mix the hot air and the solvent) [use MEK or acetone for PVC/Toluene for Hypalon], affix new patch with ToobBond 2-part Hypalon glue for Hypalon fabric or 2-part Ribstore PVC glue for PVC.

Assming that you have a single layer fabric floor? then the easiest approach would be to apply small fabric patches (min 50mm overlap), use the matching solvent & glue, as above. Hypalon, PVC and PU fabric (patches or cut from the roll) is here

Generic glueing instructions are here (amongst other help & advice guides) and there are also detailed instructions on the glue labels.

Cheers
Magic, thanks. The floor is an air deck.. Seapro 3.4 I think.. Is it still the same method?
Old 15 October 2012, 12:58   #9
Trade member

Quote:
Magic, thanks. The floor is an air deck.. Seapro 3.4 I think.. Is it still the same method?
Yes, providing you don't have any bulges when inflated i.e. the drop stitch hasn't failed, worth searching on here for air deck/drop stitch repair threads.
Chris
Old 15 October 2012, 14:08   #10

thanks chris, i have ordered the repair kit and mex. how quickly will they arrive with me?
Old 17 October 2012, 13:15   #11

great service i have the repair kit and have watched many utube videos and am looking forward to getting stuck in (not literally)
Old 17 October 2012, 15:11   #12
Trade member

Quote:
great service i have the repair kit and have watched many utube videos and am looking forward to getting stuck in (not literally)
Enjoy!
Let us know if we can help further.
Old 18 October 2012, 06:51   #13

All done, I guess the proof is in the pudding when I inflate and soap later on tonight. I may well buy a rubber liner for the sib just incase any more bass make a break for freedom.
Old 21 October 2012, 08:59   #14

Worked like a dream, thanks for all your help, a 3mm thick rubber mat is winging its way to me as I type. Spikes little basstewards. Am fishing on Anglesey all week and the boat is showing no signs of deflating...
Old 21 October 2012, 17:44   #15
Trade member

Quote:
Worked like a dream, thanks for all your help, a 3mm thick rubber mat is winging its way to me as I type. Spikes little basstewards. Am fishing on Anglesey all week and the boat is showing no signs of deflating...
Way to go...enjoy the fishing