Old 20 June 2022, 04:22   #1

Town: Goodyear
Make: Saturn Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25hp EFI
SIB novice needs help...motor and trim

I posted a while back when I was deciding on motor size. I finally made a purchase and my son and I took out a brand new 13’ Saturn and a Suzuki 25hp EFI motor to start the break in. I know…the Saturn might have been a mistake but like I said I’m a novice. Although the boat is rated to 30hp, so I didn’t think 25hp was too much.

We got out on the lake and with barely any throttle, I nearly folded the boat in half. Im hoping this is just a trim problem. The whole outing was such a disaster that I packed it up, brought it home and put it away. It hasn't been touched in over a year. Now I need to get it out again and I have some big concerns. I think my questions are very basic but no-one uses SIBs around here. My son is begging me to go back out so I appreciate any help.

Question #1
What steps should I take before attempting to restart it?

The brand new motor only has about 15 mins of run time on it. After that it was taken off the boat and straight to a clean, climate controlled storage unit with very little temperature change (approx 78 degrees). It has been there for over a year without being touched. The motor was not flushed or the fuel system drained. Please tell me this $4,000 motor is not ruined forever.
Old 20 June 2022, 05:03   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
The engine will be fine, I’m assuming it was fresh water anyway.
Can you define what folding the boat in half means? It potentially sounds like there was no air in the tubes.
Old 20 June 2022, 05:29   #3

Thank you for replying.

What I meant was when I gave it throttle, the motor went to an extreme angle and felt like it was sucking on the floor and the tubes bent near the middle of the boat. Maybe a little more air would help but does it sound like a trim adjustment problem. It has 5 or 6 trim positions and I never tested the different positions. Is there a standard trim position to start with? Motor is completely manual everything.
Old 20 June 2022, 06:32   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
You’ll get some far more detailed replies on here but I’ve looked at a couple of old reviews on Saturn sibs and they look ok.
There’s no way the tubes should bend like that, if needs be check the air pressure when the boat is wet against the manufacturer’s recommendation. If the water is cold, the tubes can change significantly when they go into the water!
To get started, just trim the engine right down with the prop just below the hull. If you don’t use too much throttle, it should be fine and then you can start adjusting things.
Personally, I would also fill the fuel tank with premium if it’s had high ethanol petrol in it.
Old 20 June 2022, 18:42   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Engine fine for the boat if the boat folded it’s not up to pressure, trim angle try second hole from the transom that should be fine. I have same engine had it on similar sized boat.
Old 20 June 2022, 19:49   #6

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Don't know why you think your Saturn purchase may be a mistake! I've looked at the website and specs and it looks like a good SIB. It is very similar to the Excel brand which is popular in the UK, both are manufactured in South Korea. Coincidentally the Excel has a big "S" emblem on the front!

Your OB will be fine. Personally I'd turn it over a few times without the kill cord just to get some oil moving. Then fire it up with fresh fuel, not the stuff you've had in the tank for 12 months.

As Jeff & Ferryman have already said it sounds like pressure is the problem.
How are you inflating your Saturn? How are you checking the pressure? Did you reinflate to the correct pressure once your sib had been in the water for 15 mins or so?

I find an electric digital inflator is the easiest to use.

Don't lose heart, if you've any problems or questions, use the forum. There will always be someone on here who can help.
Old 21 June 2022, 05:44   #7

Thank you Thank you guys. This is all very helpful.
Just double checking, by turn over without the kill cord, you mean just cycle the pull cord a few times without start up right?

Ill be getting an electric inflator for sure. I didn’t really think about checking pressure since I’m in Arizona USA. I think the temp that day was at least 110 degrees maybe higher so I thought the tubes would run higher pressure anyway.

Should I change the oil before I start up again?

One more thing. I tried to upload a few photos but I kept getting the invalid file error. I followed the upload guidelines. Is there another way I can upload pics?
Old 21 June 2022, 07:59   #8

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedidit View Post
Thank you Thank you guys. This is all very helpful.
Just double checking, by turn over without the kill cord, you mean just cycle the pull cord a few times without start up right?
Yes

Quote:
Ill be getting an electric inflator for sure. I didn’t really think about checking pressure since I’m in Arizona USA. I think the temp that day was at least 110 degrees maybe higher so I thought the tubes would run higher pressure anyway?
Where you live its probably more important that you get the pressure absolutely right and check it a few times whilst out on the water.
The temperature differential between the air and water is going to be much greater living in Arizona.

Quote:
Should I change the oil before I start up again?
For the sake of a few £ and peace of mind I would, but others wouldn't.

Someone better acquainted with the forum will be able to give advice re: uploading pictures
Old 21 June 2022, 15:48   #9
Spammer

To upload pictures type ibb.co in google

Right click > view image > copy the image location

Paste it with brackets [ img ] file location .jpg [ / img] or use the insert image icon .

IMO Saturns are OK not bad . I prefer Zodiacs

Tags
sib