Old 30 April 2015, 09:39   #21

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
That's a fair chunk of weight.

As Fenlander says lots of experience on here of what will work - my 3.4 Zodiac with Twatsoo 9.8 would take clever weight distribution to help get on the plane with 2 adults (total around 125kg) and 2 kids (50kg).

The two of you are already at that weight and using your High-Pong Chinese job that's already half-kaput doesn't exactly sound like a recipe for speed!
Old 30 April 2015, 10:00   #22

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
I think to say it's half-kaput is a bit mean but yes, I bought it with my eyes open and it may well not produce the power that other branded makes do.
That said, it produces far far more power than my arms attached to the end of the oars and is only 20kg to carry which is one of the reasons I went for it.
Most of todays 4stroke 10hp and above are in the region of 40kg or more which really wasn't an option.
If 5knots is my limit then so be it but for £250 my Chinese outboard is quite impressive in that it starts well and appears to be reliable so far.
If a smaller prop can help it get to the revs it needs to deliver max power then fine, that's what i'll do. If it still doesn't plkane then fine, i'll live with it for now but to say it's half-kaput is not fair.
Incidentally, I have a Chinese chainsaw, a Chinese stihl saw and a Chinese generator, all of which have lasted as long as the equivalent 10x the cost branded products. Yes, I may have had to do a bit more maintenance and set up the carbs a bit more often but they are basically good bits of kit generally. I'm hoping my "High-Pong" will be the same.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:08   #23

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzajnr View Post
I think to say it's half-kaput is a bit mean but yes, I bought it with my eyes open and it may well not produce the power that other branded makes do.
That said, it produces far far more power than my arms attached to the end of the oars and is only 20kg to carry which is one of the reasons I went for it.
Most of todays 4stroke 10hp and above are in the region of 40kg or more which really wasn't an option.
If 5knots is my limit then so be it but for £250 my Chinese outboard is quite impressive in that it starts well and appears to be reliable so far.
If a smaller prop can help it get to the revs it needs to deliver max power then fine, that's what i'll do. If it still doesn't plkane then fine, i'll live with it for now but to say it's half-kaput is not fair.
Incidentally, I have a Chinese chainsaw, a Chinese stihl saw and a Chinese generator, all of which have lasted as long as the equivalent 10x the cost branded products. Yes, I may have had to do a bit more maintenance and set up the carbs a bit more often but they are basically good bits of kit generally. I'm hoping my "High-Pong" will be the same.
Sorry - please don't be so sensitive, just a slight ribbing which is par for the course on here. When I said half-kaput I meant in only reaching 1/2 revs, I'm sure with some fettling it will be fine.

Old 30 April 2015, 10:20   #24

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzajnr View Post
Wazzajnr, don't be surprised by any negative comments regarding Chinese made products on this forum because quite a few people have had many a problem and many a headache with marine related China brands...(plenty threads on here but mostly rib related) me being one of them.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:26   #25

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Sorry, I guess it does come across as being sensitive, that wasn't the intention, I was merely trying to point out that for the money, Chinese stuff can be very good.

I work in an industry where you can buy a british built production line for £1m or a Chinese copy for £250k and then we do a tooling conversion for £30k and it is easily as good as the british machine so I do get a bit miffed at nay sayers for Chinese products.

For the difference in price, I can afford to experiment a bit and if it can't do all I hoped then it's still OK with me and in the fullness of time I will probably upgrade to something better.

No offence meant, I just feel the Chinese get a lot of often undeserved bad press.
Old 30 April 2015, 11:10   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Not trying to be intrusive but the actual weights do make a difference to advice. So really you are the same as two average weight adult males... that really is too much for a 6hp to plane a smallcraft.... as Max said above.

Yes propping down in pitch would help to a degree but getting you over the "hump" and onto the plane... really not sure. And if you did it would probably be revving like crazy as the pitch on 6hps is usually quite low anyway. Do you know spare props are available in varying pitch for your outboard, perhaps if it is a direct Yamaha clone or something their props would fit??

Re Chinese I have no experience of their outboards but my Chinese made Honwave previous to the current Zodiac was no worse than a Zodiac for build & spec... better in some regards actually.