Old 28 January 2014, 16:14   #1

Town: St Ives
Boat name: Jessy
Make: Seago
Length: under 3m
Engine: honda 2.3
SIB make

Hi all.
Just joined today. Recently bought an old maxxon and outboard to get on the river this year. Then realised i ought to have a decent engine, so got an almost new honda 2.3. The seller had a much better looking sib than the maxxon so i bought that too. Problem is i can not find any make or model on it . The only identifying mark i can find is the logo X-treme on the rowlock rubber. Its 2.7 metres. I can send a photo or 2 if possible to anyone with any ideas. I plan to use it on rivers with occasional go on devon/cornwall estuaries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOATS 004.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	89774   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOATS 007.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	89775   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOATS 005.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	89776  
Old 28 January 2014, 17:06   #2

Length: no boat
Welcome to ribnet.
No idea. Sorry.
But thought I would say. I bought a Chinese dinghy which looked about the same, but it had an air floor, it was a sample sent to a chandler but they decided not to stock them.

Had no markings either except Chinese writing on the repair kit!
It was ce marked for max 10hp.
It went like stink with a 6hp on, did me 3 years no probs!
Old 29 January 2014, 07:49   #3

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Boat name: Papa Bear V1
Make: Humber 5.3 Ataque
Length: 5m +
Engine: 40 Mercury four stro
RIBase
Looks very like a Waveline,maybe a Chinese copy of one
Old 29 January 2014, 08:39   #4

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb779 View Post
Looks very like a Waveline,maybe a Chinese copy of one
Yep, think you are right. Its a generic Chinese made boat that's rebranded by dozens of sellers. Could be a Waveline, Wetline, Seago, Mailspeed etc etc.

Quite a few come in as unbranded samples, this may be one of those.
Old 29 January 2014, 09:03   #5

So not top quality then. Just as well i didnt pay much for it. It will do for now. So now i am waiting for april to get a river licence and give it a run out. Thanks for your help.
Old 29 January 2014, 09:06   #6

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jep49 View Post
So not top quality then. Just as well i didnt pay much for it. It will do for now. So now i am waiting for april to get a river licence and give it a run out. Thanks for your help.
My Chinese one was great! Had no reason to question the quality whilst I had it.
Old 29 January 2014, 09:40   #7

I will use it on the rivers mostly, hence small engine. I hope to take it to the southwest with the grandson,to do a spot of fishing . Not planing to go out of the estuary mouths probably. Will need to do a bit of homework for that i suppose. Any info on fishing there would be welcome.
Regards
John
Old 29 January 2014, 16:04   #8

Quote:
TBH I would say most of the new Sibs sold in the UK originate from China. Quality is usually fine for what it is, you should get 10 years from new as long as its looked after.

It will be fine for slow flowing rivers, but I would think WOT will only be 3kts or so (the slatted floor robs performance) so venturing out into the Estury will need to be done with care.
Old 29 January 2014, 16:52   #9

As slow as 3. Not expecting miracles, but 3 is slow isnt it. I will be intrested to see how it goes , or dosnt. I will have to watch it on any tidal places if its only3. I was thinking of somewhere like salcomb, or river dart, not going beyond the river mouth. It will get most of its use on the great ouse though.
Old 29 January 2014, 18:39   #10

It's not going to win any speed records, but its not that slow. 3kts is just about the speed limit on the canal and you can only do 4kts on the Thames. Even with the max HP for your boat its unlikely to plane because of the floor configaration, max speed would only be about 6kts.

One of my 1st tenders was similar to yours, a 2.4m slat deck with a 3hp engine, it was a long slog between the dinghy pontoon and some of the moorings in Salcombe. You need to take care with the tide and avoid peak flow periods, make sure the weather is settled and take safety kit and life jackets.

Boats are great, but it doesnt matter what boat you have, you always need a bigger/faster/newer one
Old 29 January 2014, 18:46   #11

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I agree its either a Wetline or Waveline I have a Wetline 2.6 with a 3.5 twatsoo, great little tender but would be better with a bigger engine. I cut out some closed cell foam the size of the internal floor which makes things a lot easier for moving about over the wooden slats.
Old 29 January 2014, 19:01   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I wouldn't go on the river Dart with only 3 knots at WOT.The tide runs faster than that.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2014, 19:11   #13

I also cut out a thin ply floor the other day, so i dont have to watch where i step. Are there any estuaries you would suggest as ok to get on the water down the southwest. I realise i havnt got a lot og go in the boat so have to be a bit careful. I went up and down the dart last year on a small passenger boat and it didnt seem that bad at the time.
Old 29 January 2014, 21:57   #14

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
TBH I would say most of the new Sibs sold in the UK originate from China. Quality is usually fine for what it is, you should get 10 years from new as long as its looked after.

I don't get the 10 years, there are loads 0f 30-40 year old hypalon Avon's that pop up on e-bay, and it took me 4 months to find a clean PVC Zodiac as old ones seem again to fetch good money? My assumption would be that many are used as occasional boats for leisure & stored most of the time, Mine is a 2005 & looks like new & I would hope to get more than another 5 years from it before it's had it's day.
Old 29 January 2014, 22:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
I don't get the 10 years, there are loads 0f 30-40 year old hypalon Avon's that pop up on e-bay, and it took me 4 months to find a clean PVC Zodiac as old ones seem again to fetch good money? My assumption would be that many are used as occasional boats for leisure & stored most of the time, Mine is a 2005 & looks like new & I would hope to get more than another 5 years from it before it's had it's day.

The problem is the glue, it starts to fail at around 10 years on pretty much every PVC boat. They are fairly straightforward to repair, and the glue is relatively cheap but it takes quite a few hours to completely re-glue a boat.

Prior to the glue failing the boat can look like it just came out of the showroom, its not till the transom falls off that you realise you have a problem :-) In truth, you will notice little problems first, logo coming off, bits of trim getting a bit 'flappy' etc.

While it may be worth doing on a decent boat i.e. Bombard 380, Zodiac Futura etc IMHO its not worth the hassle on a boat that can be replaced with a new one for less than £300
Old 30 January 2014, 09:10   #16

Thats why i was enquiring about my boat, to. The honda was less than 6 months old when i bought it in december. The boat , while it had got a pinhole puncture looks almost new , and judging by the engine clamp marks cannot have had much use. I got it because i considered the seller , who spent out on a good engine, might also have not skimpted on the boat. I may be wrong, but i took a chance at £150. Small repair done it has stayed up for 3 weeks. Still interested in its make though not really important i suppose. Main thing now is to get some use out of it.
Old 02 February 2014, 14:21   #17

Thanks Landlockedpirate.
Pretty sure its a Seago tsr270 without the badge. In hindsight i ought to have got an airdeck. Do you think a slat floor will be a bit more stable for river fishing, and what speed will i be likely to get from it, now i know what it is, with the honda. Given it wont be planing does anyone think it would be suitable on any estuary in the southwest, at any tide state.
Old 02 February 2014, 21:41   #18

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
The problem is the glue, it starts to fail at around 10 years on pretty much every PVC boat. They are fairly straightforward to repair, and the glue is relatively cheap but it takes quite a few hours to completely re-glue a boat.

Prior to the glue failing the boat can look like it just came out of the showroom, its not till the transom falls off that you realise you have a problem :-) In truth, you will notice little problems first, logo coming off, bits of trim getting a bit 'flappy' etc.

While it may be worth doing on a decent boat i.e. Bombard 380, Zodiac Futura etc IMHO its not worth the hassle on a boat that can be replaced with a new one for less than £300
I paid £800 for my immaculate used Zodiac 340! Guess I should have looked around more as if it's worthless in another 4 years I'd be a little gutted, I think I may have been ripped off as I was told the seams were welded not glued.
Old 03 February 2014, 04:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
I paid £800 for my immaculate used Zodiac 340! Guess I should have looked around more as if it's worthless in another 4 years I'd be a little gutted, I think I may have been ripped off as I was told the seams were welded not glued.
Nope you havent been ripped off, seams are welded and will last a lot longer than the glue. I really wouldnt worry about it, its not going to fail on exactly 10 years and 1 day. IMHO yours comes into the category of worth repairing if it starts to fail, just keep an eye on it and you will be fine.
Old 03 February 2014, 04:30   #20

Quote:
Thanks Landlockedpirate.
Pretty sure its a Seago tsr270 without the badge. In hindsight i ought to have got an airdeck. Do you think a slat floor will be a bit more stable for river fishing, and what speed will i be likely to get from it, now i know what it is, with the honda. Given it wont be planing does anyone think it would be suitable on any estuary in the southwest, at any tide state.
Unfortunately the slat floor is the least stable of all the floor designs, that doesnt mean the boat will turn over, its just difficult to stand on

Slat floor boats are not designed to plane, but you can get them on the plane with enough power, however with out a keel they are really skittish and difficult to steer.

Enjoy what you have, its a perfectly safe and good boat in the right conditions. Its impossible to give you specific advice about usage because their are just too many variables, start somewhere sheltered and see how you feel about the boat.