Old 24 April 2022, 13:50   #1

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
SIB Insurance - Tidal Marina Pontoon Berth

After all the advice about where to launch around the river Fal / Carrick Roads area I thought I'd book a floating pontoon berth at Mylor marina for the duration of the holiday. I know it's cost but it will make life so much easier. Before booking it I thought I'd check my insurance, Craftinsure, Small Boat Insurance just to check about any extra security leaving the outboard attached.
I was surprised to read this exclusion:-

"Loss or damage whilst your boat is left afloat unattended except on non-tidal waters"

It's not a problem as Craftinsure have said they will sort it out tomorrow for a small premium, I'll post how much when I get it.

I thought I'd make others aware to check their insurance cover before leaving overnight on a pontoon and being caught out if anything untoward happened.
Old 24 April 2022, 22:15   #2

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Dunno
Make: Quicksilver Sport HD
Engine: Mercury 20hp EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
After all the advice about where to launch around the river Fal / Carrick Roads area I thought I'd book a floating pontoon berth at Mylor marina for the duration of the holiday. I know it's cost but it will make life so much easier. Before booking it I thought I'd check my insurance, Craftinsure, Small Boat Insurance just to check about any extra security leaving the outboard attached.
I was surprised to read this exclusion:-

"Loss or damage whilst your boat is left afloat unattended except on non-tidal waters"

It's not a problem as Craftinsure have said they will sort it out tomorrow for a small premium, I'll post how much when I get it.

I thought I'd make others aware to check their insurance cover before leaving overnight on a pontoon and being caught out if anything untoward happened.
Hi..I’m about to do the same in Dartmouth so will check this out too. Thanks!
Old 24 April 2022, 22:25   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Yeah steve I noticed that when renewing for the trip out west. Thats one of the reasons I was asking about theft etc before I went. But non tidal for me.
Old 24 April 2022, 23:43   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A good few years ago with Craftinsure I put this extra tidal cover on for a period to cover a holiday. Now I do it at renewal and the extra for a whole year isn't much more than adding a few weeks mid policy.
Old 25 April 2022, 14:46   #5

£38 for tidal cover (incl £10 admin charge) for the remainder of the policy.
As Fenlander has said, it's about the same price doing it at renewal.
Old 27 April 2022, 06:38   #6

Town: Hinckley
Boat name: Lateral Flow
Make: Excel Virago 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hp
Hi all,

I also use CraftInsure and queried this wording. I was advised that ‘unattended’ is defined as no-one using/visiting/checking the boat for a period longer than 24hrs. If you were to routinely wander down to the boat each day, make sure everything is ship-shape and secure, then you would be ok. The extra premium is required when the unattended period extends to days or weeks without getting eyes on the boat.

Don’t hold me to it, but that’s what they told me! Nice company to deal with, but then I’ve not yet had to claim! (fingers crossed)

Cheers
Old 27 April 2022, 08:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley_steve View Post
Hi all,

I also use CraftInsure and queried this wording. I was advised that ‘unattended’ is defined as no-one using/visiting/checking the boat for a period longer than 24hrs. If you were to routinely wander down to the boat each day, make sure everything is ship-shape and secure, then you would be ok. The extra premium is required when the unattended period extends to days or weeks without getting eyes on the boat.

Don’t hold me to it, but that’s what they told me! Nice company to deal with, but then I’ve not yet had to claim! (fingers crossed)

Cheers
Hi Steve,

That's not the interpretation I got when I asked. Do you have that in writing?
Old 27 April 2022, 12:14   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
For me I’m happy to pay the uplift to be belt and braces rather than rely on a fine interpretation of the wording.
Old 27 April 2022, 12:18   #9

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley_steve View Post
Hi all,

Cheers

I was given a similar interpretation when I asked - I like to visit islands off the west coast of Scotland and leave RIB at anchor while camping ashore - when I asked he said that in that case the boat was not unattended so no problem.
Old 27 April 2022, 12:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecast View Post
I was given a similar interpretation when I asked - I like to visit islands off the west coast of Scotland and leave RIB at anchor while camping ashore - when I asked he said that in that case the boat was not unattended so no problem.
I wasn't clear on that either when I renewed recently but took a chance as my usage would be similar to yours eventually.

Sounds like they need to clarify in their small print blurb....although maybe they do .......I just haven't been arsed to read it all
Old 27 April 2022, 13:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
For me I’m happy to pay the uplift to be belt and braces rather than rely on a fine interpretation of the wording.
Me too
Old 27 April 2022, 13:49   #12

Then again.....after the money I've already dropped into this boating lark....a couple of extra pound not going much difference
Old 27 April 2022, 14:09   #13

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Thanks for this info Steve - my insurance is Craftinsure and I have my small rib in dry storage at a marina with security. Part of the deal with the fee is to have a consecutive week’s free mooring afloat, and it is tidal so I think I’ll enquire and do the same for a few quid.
Perfect timing reading a post on here yet again - love this forum…!!
Old 27 April 2022, 19:18   #14

Town: Hinckley
Boat name: Lateral Flow
Make: Excel Virago 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Steve,

That's not the interpretation I got when I asked. Do you have that in writing?

Hi,

Good point - no I don’t have it in writing - I made a note of the person with whom I discussed this, and the date, on the assumption that call recordings could probably be checked/validated in the event of a disputed claim.

But following this discussion it would probably be worthwhile asking for written clarification… or paying the uplift to extend the cover and be sure.

Thanks guys.

Tags
sib