Old 27 August 2013, 16:18   #1

Town: staines
Length: 3m +
SIB insurance...

Hello. I'm finally ready to get my boat in the water for a test run next week so i have been looking at insurance, I did a search on the forum but it didnt seem to bring up much information.

I was just interested what insurers other sib owners use and if theres anything i need to know about insuring a sib compared to a normal boat or rib? How much i should be looking to pay for a 3.5m with a 15hp outboard?

Also interested if anyone knows of any lakes or somewhere open to have a little play around with the handling of this boat, looking at somewhere withing an hour or so drive from Staines?

Thanks

Ben
Old 27 August 2013, 16:40   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Craftinsure.
Old 27 August 2013, 16:53   #3

If i put my boat (value £500) in as a RIB its £190, if i call it a motorboat its £45?
Old 27 August 2013, 16:58   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Craftinsure +1 for SIBs'.

Small boat policy (NOT RIB!) - about £50 yr.
Old 27 August 2013, 17:52   #5

Thanks guys. At that price its worth having and i'm amazed how easy it is to do, feel somewhat stupid for even asking now but it helped to get a good insurer's name!
Old 28 August 2013, 07:39   #6

Make: ProShore 2.9
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 4HP
Insurance is a must anyway for peace of mind but also if you fancy a mess about in the sea some harbours won't give you a licence with out it. I live nr Hungerford and when I tried to find a lake to practice on it was a nightmare I tried all round reading, Wokingham maidenhead no joy but there are some good places for rivers. At TVP reading there is a free slipway onto the Thames very nice and in Abingdon on the river ock all with good parking. Found this website very helpful. http://www.electric-boat-association...k/slipways.htm Have fun Ben. Thumbs.
Old 28 August 2013, 20:21   #7

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by furstyferret81 View Post
Also interested if anyone knows of any lakes or somewhere open to have a little play around with the handling of this boat, looking at somewhere withing an hour or so drive from Staines?
I tried quite a few lakes round here (not too far from Staines) and none were interested in letting me practice except one which in the end, I didn't take them up on the offer - I'm an ex RYA sailing instructor and the chap who ran the lake would have let me use off peak as a favour to a fellow instructor.

Thames above Teddington tricky as apart from cost, there is a few weeks lead time on getting license which make it difficult to do it on spur of moment if using short term license.

However, Thames is accessible at Putney. Haven't used it myself as in the end I just went straight for Arun at Littlehampton where boat was to be based long term, but options from Putney look good, tides permitting. A couple of good websites showing what speed restrictions apply and where. Unfortunately I did not bookmark them.
Old 28 August 2013, 20:38   #8

Town: Horley
Boat name: Pending!
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp Outboard
From Staines why not just hop down to Portsmouth or even Shoreham?
Old 29 August 2013, 19:30   #9

Teddington has been mentioned to me before and is looking like the way forwards for me so i think im just going to have to put with the speed limits.

Going to pick up some lunch wheels but at £160 i'm not going to have the cash to pay of a powerboat course or the £100's for a Thames licence just yet, especially if my motor turns out to be a dud!