Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
SIB Floor /Patching material query

Have had chance to do some work on the D Class today...sponson leak found and patched, loose handle re-stuck (one broken one to remove /replace if anyone has one they want to sell /know where they are available) and a couple of 'tired' seams cleaned and restuck.

But, before I tackle the disposal holes in the floor have a question.....The floor is thicker material and whilst i can patch with Hypalon was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for a harder wearing material, esp. if it ends up working in shallow water /dragging bottom...had thought poss about a rubber type material (not patterned like treadmaster, but that sort of material....hard wearing etc).

Anyone done similar? /have any suggestions of a suitable material? /think its a bad idea etc?

Any /all advice appreciated as always

Dan

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2010, 21:16   #2

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
you would be dragging your skeg before the boat touches bottom, anyhow the floor material will take some abuse before it gives and you would add a fair bit of weight to the boat, and rubber sheet is not cheap,
Old 03 July 2010, 22:10   #3

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I would have thought a good material to use on the floor would be the tube cladding thats on my arctic. I think its just an extra heavy layer of hypalon without the neoprene layer as it doesnt need to be airtight. Its seriously tough stuff. No doubt off cuts available from Henshaws/Paul Tilley etc
Old 03 July 2010, 22:29   #4

RIBase
Mark..Prob didn't explain well, is to patch just a couple of 'disposal holes' so relatively small areas /little weight.....but could be vulnerable /dragged when engine raised.

Martini...good call! Thanks, will try and speak with Henshaws Monday

Old 03 July 2010, 22:38   #5

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
ah, thought you meant to reinforce the whole floor
Old 03 July 2010, 22:55   #6

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
if its just for the 2 circular holes i wouldent bother reinforcing it and just use normal patching ,,what makes you think they are disposal holes any how .
Old 03 July 2010, 23:09   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
if its just for the 2 circular holes i wouldent bother reinforcing it and just use normal patching ,,what makes you think they are disposal holes any how .
Poss incorrect terminology....yes, they are the holes they cut in when they took it off service /so it wouldn't be used. There are the two circular holes at the front, but also two 6 inch long slits either side of the rubber keel strip towards the transom....not sure where they are from (RNLI or otherwise) but I'd like to have something more substantial /thicker on these.

Incidentally, do you know what the letter 'P' means...she was D392 on service and now shows D392-P. Hastings have sent me some old pics and Poole have sent me her service record....just don't know where the P has come from?

Old 03 July 2010, 23:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Worth View Post
Poss incorrect terminology....yes, they are the holes they cut in when they took it off service /so it wouldn't be used. There are the two circular holes at the front, but also two 6 inch long slits either side of the rubber keel strip towards the transom....not sure where they are from (RNLI or otherwise) but I'd like to have something more substantial /thicker on these.

Incidentally, do you know what the letter 'P' means...she was D392 on service and now shows D392-P. Hastings have sent me some old pics and Poole have sent me her service record....just don't know where the P has come from?
Hi Dan ,yes the prefix letter P stands for publicity boat ,and thats the only reason the patches were removed ,,when a boat is taken out of operatonal service for use as a publicity/ display use boat the rnli remove the 2 front patches to reveal the holes this stops the boat from being temped to be used by perhaps the wrong people ,they are normally patched back over before disposal ,,they also put a letter P after the op number to show it is a publicity boat,,,, hope this helps mart.
Old 03 July 2010, 23:35   #9

There wont be anything different from an operational d class apart from when its a publicity boat they put 2 holes in the bottom ,remove the patches and put a dummy engine on the back with no power head ,,,,very impressive when you pick up a 40 hp outboard and man handle it with one hand ,, , ,,depending on shortages and demand some boats may go back into operational use and some may go to be used as capsize training boats ,
a couple of pics of p boats ,most regional divisions have a couple of publicity boats for loan use by fundraising branches or for education use in schools /youth groups ,,one branch has or had an atlantic 21 for publicity ,

.lets hope you look after her better than she was in her previous days,,,,,eeeerrrrr is your boat in the 3rd pic D 392 p,,
and the bottom pic showing the patches on a capsize boat
regards mart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLDIES 077.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	52481   Click image for larger version

Name:	KEQMS%201.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	52482   Click image for larger version

Name:	0457_1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	52483   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0020.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	52490  
Old 04 July 2010, 07:26   #10

RIBase
[QUOTE=m chappelow;359316] There wont be anything different from an operational d class apart from when its a publicity boat they put 2 holes in the bottom ,remove the patches and put a dummy engine on the back with no power head ,,,,very impressive when you pick up a 40 hp outboard and man handle it with one hand

Can't you do that with a working eng anyway?

Lets hope you look after her better than she was in her previous days,,,,,eeeerrrrr is your boat in the 3rd pic D 392 p

Fab! That's it all right....thats a very sorry state amazingly, she has scrubbed up pretty well. The TFR has worked wonders....as you can see, the orange has faded to pink in lots of places and it will never be concourse, but loads of life left in it. Will be sanding the transom if i get chance this week. See what you mean about those patches, must admit i hadn't noticed them on capsize boats before.

Have sourced a pair of oars which work in the holders (with some minor adjustment to the oars) as well as the fuel cells TUFTY flagged up. Engine still to be found....saw one yesterday but was hopeless....

As ever, lots of useful info Mart.....Thanks!