Old 18 February 2022, 13:35   #1

Town: Epsom
Length: 7m +
SIB as an option to get on the water

Previously have considered a RIB but living inland would involve towing or marina fees, also put off by charges for launching and recovery. As an alternative looking at a SIB as a way of getting on the water, estuary exploring and costal hopping. Would involve inflation/deflation each time but launch from virtually and beach. Do I really want to do this each time?
Have considered:
(1) F-Rib 430 @ £3395 but online someone raised the issue of tube being pinched and punctured by the hard hull because it was folded incorrectly. Also F-Rib’s own video showing a drop test you can actually see the hull flexing which means the hinged joints are under stress. While the test was somewhat extreme one can’t help thinking that constant pounding into heavy chop will have the same result.
https://youtu.be/4rKm-hJyZTE
(2) Honwave T38-IE Air V Floor (3.8m) @ £1350
(3) Takacat LXO 4.2m @ £3000
Any advice very welcome and thanks in anticipation.
Old 18 February 2022, 18:03   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've been lucky to have spent a lifetime with periods on the water most years by various means from 50+ft cruising craft down to a Canadian canoe. And now for over ten years as someone 80+ miles from the sea I've been totally content as a sibber despite having the budget for a modest RIB should I wish.

Yes of course a RIB is better in every way performance, seakeeping and comfort wise but I just like the freedom of a SIB as I perceive it. Low initial outlay, tiny running costs, easy storage on the garage shelf at home and secure trouble free travelling with it hidden away packed in the car. Once assembled ease and speed of launching is excellent even if no slipway and ease of pulling out at beaches and destinations no trouble.

Having said all that despite being totally into sibbing I would not make any argument that it's better than ribbing.... just what suits you.

A few pics of my outfit below inc one of it stored away at home.

Re your brand comments....

I think the durability of an Frib is not the issue you think... they seem to be lasting fine with those that have owned them for years. The bigger issue is an inflexible packed shape compared to a SIB and their very high cost... you really need to have a reason to want one to pay over twice that of a Honwave. A well behaved floor and efficient hull with modest size outboards seem their benefits to me.

The Honwave is the go-to SIB with great value and mostly liked by owners.... and easy choice.

The Takacat is another left field option that needs you to want it for some particular reason given the significant price. Open bow and transom indicates a fun craft not one for making passages with kit.... well that's my view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec Goddy lock 0821.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	139848   Click image for larger version

Name:	From bathing platform.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	139849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec packed.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	139850  
Old 19 February 2022, 15:53   #3

Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 15,25, Tohatsu 6
I have had 3 SIBs, a zodiac fastroller (now defunct), and an Achilles 12.6 and most recently a Takacat 380LX. I don't have or want a trailer or truck. The Zodiac was very light and set up quickly, the Achilles not so much though a quality hypalon boat, the weight was just too much. If you buy a sib, I strongly recommend getting one that is under a hundred pounds and ideally 80-90. More than that and I'd just get a RIB.
The Takacat has been wonderful and distinctly different. I've created a way to carry my Takacat inflated and ready easily on my car roof rack (Audi A5 SB). I hang the takacat inflated on an electric garage hoist above my car and I've fabricated a rolling attachment to easily bring the boat down at the ramp. I've never deflated it since first assembly.
I particularly enjoy the Takacat for the open transom (no water accumulates) and I ride it standing up holding the reins and it is more fun than I've ever had with the other boats as I enjoy gliding over still water or wake-surfing when i feel like exercise. It is particularly efficient, a 6hp gets 2 people on plane and is quite light to handle. When I want to go 20+knots I put on the 15hp.
The Truekit boats also look nice but are not available from distributors in the US so I went with Takacat. I've put a few hundred miles on mine and am always looking forward to my next outing.
Old 19 February 2022, 23:29   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi, it's really difficult to give advice when the only thing known is you want to get on the water and you live 40 miles from the coast.
A bit more info will get you a lot more advice.
Just you, family, dog, experience, type of car, expectations, fast or sedate, storage at home, how often - day, weekend, weeks, budget. The more you give, the more you will get. However, as I'm sure you may have gathered by now, opinions and advice has to be filtered because we all have different needs and expectations.
Old 20 February 2022, 00:10   #5
Spammer

IMO weight is the limiting factor .

You want something you can lift. By yourself. Keep it under 100LBs. Ideally, go with an air floor. Stay around the 10-11 foot range. The lighter the better. I lift weights / bodybuild regularly and I can assure you, lifting boats in and out of your vehicle is NOT for everyone. Then you'll have to lift the outboard + all your gear.

If you can't launch it by yourself, and find yourself struggling, it's no longer fun. You'll end up spending less time on the water because you'll dread the process.

Go to the showroom. See which model you can lift off the ground. Then try to move the bag up to and above your waist. You'll have to do that multiple times to load your car.
Old 20 February 2022, 10:51   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Agree re 100lbs being a reasonable weight to aim for re moving about in its packed state. If you keep to air floor then your size constraints are tighter than reality... my 12.5ft air floor SIB weight 97lbs. And alloy floor SIBs usually have the floor in a second bag so neither bag is over 100lbs.

Regarding lifting into the car much depends on car type. My last three vehicles... chosen in part for boating... are nearer knee height to the load space floor.

Tags
sib