Old 31 May 2015, 16:21   #1

Ship to shore radios - recommendation

Already have a icom VHF radio just in case but wonder if anyone can recommend a decent 2 way radio for keeping in touch with the rest of the party ashore. Bought a binatone twin radio set last year but although said 8km range soon lost communication when not in direct line of sight. I know most sets have a reduced range when obstacles are in way but wonder if there are any out there that work in a 3-4 mile range with obstacles etc. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 31 May 2015, 17:33   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood View Post
Already have a icom VHF radio just in case but wonder if anyone can recommend a decent 2 way radio for keeping in touch with the rest of the party ashore. Bought a binatone twin radio set last year but although said 8km range soon lost communication when not in direct line of sight. I know most sets have a reduced range when obstacles are in way but wonder if there are any out there that work in a 3-4 mile range with obstacles etc. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks
Any vhf type communications will be line of sight only. 8km might be possible from top of a mountain to the valley, or a tall cliff to someone at sea.

I assume you don't have mobile coverage?

What are you trying to communicate? I think unless you have a real need that justifieds serious expense (big masts etc) you'll be best sticking to marine vhf and mobile phones. Or PMR type frequencies for when you are in sight but out of shouting distance, or I am sure some people are a bit naughty and use their marine vhf for shore comms.
Old 31 May 2015, 18:15   #3

Hi Poly - Yep no mobile signal where we are. Be useful to get in touch with rest of party when in next bay etc or in local fishing village a few bays down the coast - no long distances (max 2-3 miles) but wondered if there is a better set out there than the binatone set I've got. From the sounds of it it seems an inherent problem with all the 2 way radio sets.
Old 31 May 2015, 18:19   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood View Post
Hi Poly - Yep no mobile signal where we are. Be useful to get in touch with rest of party when in next bay etc or in local fishing village a few bays down the coast - no long distances (max 2-3 miles) but wondered if there is a better set out there than the binatone set I've got. From the sounds of it it seems an inherent problem with all the 2 way radio sets.
You might be able to with ham radio stuff, but not sure you will get waterproof, it's a bit more complex than vhf and you are probably looking at fixed stations! Sat phone might be cheaper!
Old 31 May 2015, 19:14   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
A good old fashion CB with signal boost may help - but I think I'd be tempted to stick with VHF and make sure those 'ashore' are actually 'at sea'.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2015, 19:15   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
With antennas, height is might. If mountains are in the way though, you don't stand a chance without utilizing a repeater. You can utilize HF-SSB with an NVIS antenna though.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2015, 19:27   #7

You might find some Chinese amateur kit that is not CE marked which can chuck out 5W on UHF frequencies. (licence free stuff shouldn't do that). Shop around and it could also do VHF marine.

Won't be waterproof.

Would have a removable antenna (can't have on a licence free set) so could connect to a bigger ant. But both ends would need similar or it becomes one way...
Old 31 May 2015, 20:00   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have some Icom VHF business radios that we use on-site, they are the same quality as all Icom handhelds, waterproof, drop proof, lithium batteries that last all day with heavy use, good range (15km in open terrain, 3-5 in built up areas) We have private channels programmed in, the licence is free iirc, maybe a few quid at most. They do PMR in the same versions, I use Lam Communications they are very helpful & will talk you through the process. You'll pay premium price for a premium product though, might be ott for your needs. I'd be going down the handheld marine vhf route meself
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2015, 20:10   #9

Taking on board all previous comments I've just seen some cheap radios on eBay (TYT TC 3000) 400-520 MHz UHF with 10 watt output at a very cheap price. I know they won't be anywhere near icom quality but considering what I need them for they'll do if they have the range. Anyone with any thoughts?
Old 31 May 2015, 22:34   #10

10W of power straight to ur brain...
Old 31 May 2015, 22:47   #11

If my back of a fag packet maths are right. Using inverse square law and a spherical transmission path from the antenna, going from 500mW to 5W might triple range. But going to 10W might quadruple range.

But curvature of earth is an issue for VHF and UHF. So you may not get the signal there with even 100w on a low lying aerial
Old 03 June 2015, 17:26   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpyne2016 View Post
but it's annoying!!

Tell me about it, how many more times are you going to post this?

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2015, 17:54   #13

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpyne2016 View Post
Last couple times I've taken my boat out I've been noticing water puddling in the back of the boat. I've checked the drain plug and looked for any leaks but I can't find any! Any advice? It's not enough water to sink me but it's annoying!! Please help! Also the drain plug is one of those rubber ones.

This is a ship to shore thread on radios
So I reckon leave it on shore won't matter then