Old 18 March 2009, 07:30   #1

Length: under 3m
Sevylor Sevymarine vs Quicksilver

Hey everyone, I'm Ryan, new to the site and about to purchase my first Inflatable (and my first boat) Thursday. Since im completely new to these type of boats i really hope you guys can help me decide.

My choices are between at Sevylor Sevymarine SV9 and a Quicksilver 270.

Both are 8'9".

Info on the sevy
http://www.inflatableboats.net/sevyspec_html/sevy.htm

Info on the QS 270
http://www.inflatableboats.net/quicksilver.htm scroll down

Im hoping to use the boat with about a 5 hp motor and mostly for fishing and just cruising around. (Lots of just trolling and fishing though)

From what i've read the Sevy doesnt have a keel and it has slatted wood floor? Can't find much info on it. The

They are both about the same price and the same condition.... im not sure what to go for, can any of you give me some advise?

Oh another thing i forgot to add is that they person selling the Sevylor boat is throwing in a 9.9hp Mariner motor that needs some work. They said the water pump is gone and they arn't sure what else is wrong with it. How much does it cost to get a motor that size rebuilt usually? Is it worth it?

Thanks so much and its nice to meet you all.

Ryan
Old 18 March 2009, 16:44   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
I have never hard of Seveymarine but I have a Quicksilver and can tell you that it is a good quality little boat. I don't think that you can go wrong with the QS.

Keith Hart
Old 18 March 2009, 20:49   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hi Ryan - for me QS everytime. Can take a bigger engine & more payload. I'd be wary of any motor that wont run - you may end up throwing it away. If it was any good why throw it into the deal ?

It may have been 9hp at one time but right now its 0hp as it wont run right.

See how you get on with 5 hp & upgrade if needed & you want to spend the money.

pete
Old 18 March 2009, 22:09   #4

I am on a very limited budget. They are about the same price but the Sevy comes with a 9.9 hp that needs some work.

I guess what im trying to figure out is if it will be cheaper to rebuild the Mariner 9.9 or if its cheaper to just buy another used 9.9hp motor.

Can anyone tell me how much money im looking at to rebuild these little motors? Is it hundreds of dollars or more like thousands? Sorry for the dumb questions im just completely new to boats!

Thanks
Old 19 March 2009, 10:33   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I guess it all depends on what needs doing - if its properly ' buggered' then I'd guess it becomes just scrap & it'll be cheaper to by a new/decent used one.

You COULD spend a few hundred dollars on it & end up with an engine that is not great/ unreliable & need replacing in a year or two. Or spend the same and have a cracking motor.

I think you can only tell once you have stripped it down. Until then its a big unknown
Old 19 March 2009, 10:39   #6

sounds good! thanks so much for the reply. I think ill take it to a shop and see what they say. If its expensive to fix ill just tell them they can have it and buy another used one