Old 20 June 2012, 14:46   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Pic's deceiving.

Thanks.

FWIW, I once dove the shale with waves breaking over the bow while on the hook. Came back to boat with more than a foot of water in the boat at the transom. Battery was completely submerged. Motor started right up. Go figure.

jky
Old 21 June 2012, 05:16   #22

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I completely submerged the back of my boat while beached on Angel Island. Freighter threw a massive wave into my boat. That is one of the reasons I wanted a bilge pump, and an elephant trunk. Anyhow same thing as you the battery was completely submerged. The boat turned over no problem. What happened though is the battery terminal on the positive side corroded away the bolt, and required all new cable ends.
Old 21 June 2012, 09:35   #23

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
On my thundercat i have 2 patches glued to the floor with a fabric loop attached. Theres then a ratchet strap the goes around the tank & through the loops securing it to the floor. & if your worried about too much weight at the back how about a small tiller extension so you can sit further foward in the boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	69543  
Old 24 June 2012, 04:33   #24

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Definitely an interesting thread. I haven't totally submerged my battery so far, but I always wondered what would happen. I guess they don't short out catastrophically, but does it kill the outboard if it's running? Crossing bars I often pull my battery and strap it down on top of the console bench. Haven't gotten over run by set waves yet, but it just seems like a matter of time. I like the idea that a boat full of water won't necessarily mean bust out the paddles!
Old 25 June 2012, 04:46   #25

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
I guess they don't short out catastrophically, but does it kill the outboard if it's running?
Doubt it. No reason it should. I mean if it starts with the battery submerged, well...

jky
Old 21 December 2012, 09:04   #26

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I completely submerged the back of my boat while beached on Angel Island. Freighter threw a massive wave into my boat. That is one of the reasons I wanted a bilge pump, and an elephant trunk. Anyhow same thing as you the battery was completely submerged. The boat turned over no problem. What happened though is the battery terminal on the positive side corroded away the bolt, and required all new cable ends.
We had the same thing happen, the battery was under water for about 15 minutes while running and we couldn't do anything about it. Changed the battery cable clamp connector and still have the standard wet cell battery a year later starting perfectly.