Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 13 September 2009, 20:26   #1

Length: no boat
SeaSearch 4.2m inflatable - have we done the right thing!!!!

Hi All

Have lurked and looked for a while - anyway today we have bought a 4.2m SeaSearch SIB with 15hp Mariner - both new from the Boat Show.

It was - or seemd a good deal at £2500 - but now worried that we might have done the wrong thing - I can't find anything on the SeaSearch range - they are apparently made by Mariner in order to sell/shift their outboards - it has an aluminum floor and a sausage keel and I suspect PVC rather than the more expensive materials.

Any thoughts - I can always cancel the order (I hope) as I think all you get 7 days cooling off period - maybe!!!

Anyway thoughts from you more epxerienced people much appreciated - we want to use if for pottering around the Pembrokeshire coast, a small amount of fishing and general fun

TQ

J
Old 13 September 2009, 21:07   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've no personal experience - but there is some information here (Barrus own the Mariner outboard brand)

http://www.barrus.co.uk/seasearch.php
Old 14 September 2009, 08:08   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Design looks similar to Seapro range. http://www.seaproboat.co.uk/

I'm sure it's more than capable, and with a new 15hp 4-stroke engine you should have problem-free introduction to inflatable boating You can always sell-up once you've gained some experience.

The inflatable keel and aluminium floor (option) is fairly standard set-up on inflatables. The Zodiac HD futura has speed-tubes in addition for better handling, although it will undoubtedly be more expensive.

Nothing to worry about with PVC. I had my last Zodiac for 20+ years before the seams gave way. It's how it's maintained and cared for that will determine the life of the boat.
Old 14 September 2009, 08:31   #4

Wonderful - thank you - it definately seemed a good buy but not a brand name so when I came home and searched and found little on them (nothing!!) - I felt we might have bought a lemon - especially with some of the PVC threads I've read - so thank you for the reassurance.

I'm really excited about the whole idea - we have a 17ft fishing boat but wanted something we could (just) about fit in the Landrover and take to Pembrokeshire etc - the SIB idea seemed to fit the need and fingers crossed this will last us for a little while

Out of interest has anyone tried reinforcing the underneath of the tubes - some of the boats we looked at had a double layer of rubber underside of each tube - is this something people can add themselves??

Thanks again

J
Old 14 September 2009, 08:59   #5

Well I've just done a bit more research and found that these SIB's are made by the same people who make Quicksilver - having looked at the Quicksilver HD it looks the same. They have only been out about 18 months so fairly new to market.

They are made from 11gram Decitex (sp) or should that be Duratec ?? and classed as Heavy Duty

So seems okay :-)
Old 14 September 2009, 12:56   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Probably made in the same Korean plant that makes numerous brands such as Sea Eagle, Zebec, Saturn, some titans, probably certain zodiacs, and several dozen other brands.
Old 14 September 2009, 21:44   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabane View Post
Out of interest has anyone tried reinforcing the underneath of the tubes - some of the boats we looked at had a double layer of rubber underside of each tube - is this something people can add themselves??
Yes, although this isn't to be entered into lightly. First of all you'll need to source suitable PVC or rubber material in sufficient length for the underside of the sponsons or the keel, and then set-about gluing it the boat - which will need to be fully inflated to the correct operating pressure. The area to be glued will need to be cleaned first with a degreaser such as MEK-Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Use a 2-part PVC glue from Polymarine.

Work needs to be in a relatively warm, dry and dust-free environment (well ventilated).

Not for the faint-hearted as you're gluing on a brand new boat, so you want to do your preparation and make sure you do a neat job and clean off excess glue. Do a search online for full gluing instructions.

Good luck.
Old 15 September 2009, 00:09   #8

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabane View Post
They are made from 11gram Decitex (sp) or should that be Duratec ?? and classed as Heavy Duty

So seems okay :-)
Decitex is the middle layer fabric measurement not a fabric itself : (denier is used in USA, decitex in countries that uses metric system) the higher the number the stronger the fabric material. Duratec, strongan are other fancy pvc names, would have my doubts if it's heavy duty. Usually pvc 0.9 mm has 1,000 denier/1,100 decitex and 1,050 gr/per square meter, if a bit more denier/decitex, probably 1.0 mm fabric.

The only way to find out is to fold a portion of a deflated tube in 2 and measure with a vernier, it it has 1.8/ 1.9 mm is standard pvc and nothing to worry about. The duration will depend entirely on how it's maintained and cared as stated by spartacus.

If you don't beach your sib very often probably won't need the extra tube protection, will need adequate temperature, fabric cleaners, 2 parts glue and spare pvc fabric. Too complicated to do it yourself.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube Protector.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	45769  
Old 15 September 2009, 06:17   #9

Thanks again for the advice - hugely appreciated - have now scrapped plans for "sticking" extra patches on!!!! - We really do only plan to play and potter and I guess if we get really bitten and as already suggested - we could sell it on a buy something bigger, stronger etc etc.

The materials side sounds a science in itself - so think I'll also leave that alone (read quit worrying!!) and look forward to getting it and playing in it.

Thanks again, really appreciated the reassurance and advice - looking forward to being able to contribute once we get our SIB feet wet!!

Jean
Old 15 September 2009, 14:30   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Jean

Quicksilver makes good sibs, had one with same fabric as yours for 10 years and sold it inmaculate, so don't worry and have good time cruising. Post a nice sib/engine configuration picture to share.

Happy Sibbing
Old 15 September 2009, 15:48   #11

Thanks Locozodiac - once we collect it - late September will be sure to post some pictures - I am really excited - very sad at 41 years of age - but what the heck.

You've all very much helped me decide it was the right thing to do so .... THANK YOU

J
Old 16 September 2009, 08:00   #12

RIBase
Quote:
I am really excited - very sad at 41 years of age - but what the heck.
Hold that thought. There's no shame in being a big kid again! You'll be eyeing up a Princess Flybridge cruiser for your next boat.