Old 08 September 2020, 08:28   #1

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Sea condition, wave, wind & weather app

After venturing out onto the Solent last week when the sea conditions changed very quickly and seeing the recent pics which Pikey Dave posted, it made me think about the weather and in particular forecasting changes in sea conditions.
I've looked at a few apps, but I am wondering if there is a consensus of opinion as to which is the best app for SIB/Rib users.
Old 08 September 2020, 08:40   #2

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
https://www.windy.com/?50.670,-1.187,5 is very good, but obviously wind over tide is very different to wind against tide - and that is where a little thought and experience at the helm will give you an idea of what the conditions should be.............................
Old 08 September 2020, 09:26   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
i've been using Windy recently. (Only the free version). For a very simple idea of sea consditions the inshore waters forecast from CG (available in the SafeTrx app) is a very good clue - provided you understand that the words relate to specific sea conditions not how your mum would describe it... so in a <4m rib/sib it translates to roughly:

Calm ==> Perfect, lets go, not going to get better than this
Slight ==> A bit of chop, occassional bigger bits but most OK, can normally keep it on the plane,
Moderate ==> Starting to get hard going, often difficult to keep on the plane,
Rough ==> Bloody uncomfortable, likely to regret going out
Very Rough ==> Its nice in the pub.
Old 08 September 2020, 09:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
https://www.windy.com/?50.670,-1.187,5 is very good, but obviously wind over tide is very different to wind against tide - and that is where a little thought and experience at the helm will give you an idea of what the conditions should be.............................
Hi Mr F, I'm comfortable at the helm and with winds etc years of dinghy sailing (Laser, Tres, Magno) has given me a good idea of what I'm capable of handling. What I'm thinking of is 24-48 hrs forecasting so that I can make a snap decision to drive the 2 hours to Conwy, Menai without being disappointed when I get there.
Old 08 September 2020, 09:41   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Mr F, I'm comfortable at the helm and with winds etc years of dinghy sailing (Laser, Tres, Magno) has given me a good idea of what I'm capable of handling. What I'm thinking of is 24-48 hrs forecasting so that I can make a snap decision to drive the 2 hours to Conwy, Menai without being disappointed when I get there.

The met office inshore waters forecast, is my first port of call when making plans.
I also use Windfinder.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...aters-forecast
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2020, 10:39   #6

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
when doing alot of estuary boating ,sounds obvious but the change in tide direction is probhably more likely to catch you out than change in wind direction ,but tide direction is totally predictable and most chart plotters have this info ,so it shouldnt be outside of your pre trip considerations,especially as fender says you must understand wind over tide !
Old 08 September 2020, 12:08   #7

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I use windguru, seems to be accurate for my chosen locations.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2020, 14:53   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Ive just decided to postpone my Friday trip to Saturday due to windy (app) forecast
Old 08 September 2020, 14:59   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Windguru, Magic Seaweed and really useful all round info for tides and weather is tides4fishing - web and app:

https://tides4fishing.com/uk/england/hastings#_tides

But to be honest more often than not I just look at the BBC weather online and add about 5 to 10 mph to their given wind speed - never fails!
Old 08 September 2020, 15:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Ive just decided to postpone my Friday trip to Saturday due to windy (app) forecast
A bit different, Cardiff was by the sea last time I looked! I don't want a wasted 4 hr return trip in the car.
Old 08 September 2020, 19:08   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
If you’re looking at the Solent, don’t forget SolentMet - it tells you exactly what’s going on now at bramble bank and Chichester harbour entrance.
Old 09 September 2020, 07:12   #12

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Windy is the best I have found, but it is not always accurate with its predictions in the Conwy/Menai area. (We have a view of the eastern entrance to the Straits and Llandudno's Great Orme across Conwy Bay from our house) Basically the further ahead you look, the less accurate it is. Maybe due to the mountains.
What I do is check it again as late as possible and I look at the wind gusts rather than just the wind.
Steve, re your post #4, the wind direction makes a big difference here, especially for launching. The prevailing wind is westerly/south westerly. Not too bad, especially in the lee of the land. Worst is from the north, can make launching from Llanfairfechan or Penmaenmawr challenging as the waves surge up the slipway.
Saying that, it can be inaccurate in a good way. Right now Windy says the wind is 12kt from the NW, gusting 21kt with 0.7m waves.
Also just checked the met inshore forecast and that says force 4-6 backing 3-4 over next 24 hours, with drizzle. So that is way out!
Looking out of my window, the air looks still, no leaves are moving, wave height is maybe 0.1m and not a cloud in the sky. Looks fabulous. Best get over here now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	now.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	135028  
Old 09 September 2020, 08:08   #13

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecheur Anglais View Post
Looking out of my window, the air looks still, no leaves are moving, wave height is maybe 0.1m and not a cloud in the sky. Looks fabulous. Best get over here now!
And you Sir are the best asset of all - a real person living right next to the coast looking out of his window in real time - we just need a network of them on RIBnet to call on... saves all the faffery and stress of organising/packing/readying/driving expecting glass and nine times out of ten getting swell and chop.
Old 09 September 2020, 08:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecheur Anglais View Post
Windy is the best I have found, but it is not always accurate with its predictions in the Conwy/Menai area. (We have a view of the eastern entrance to the Straits and Llandudno's Great Orme across Conwy Bay from our house) Basically the further ahead you look, the less accurate it is. Maybe due to the mountains.
What I do is check it again as late as possible and I look at the wind gusts rather than just the wind.
Steve, re your post #4, the wind direction makes a big difference here, especially for launching. The prevailing wind is westerly/south westerly. Not too bad, especially in the lee of the land. Worst is from the north, can make launching from Llanfairfechan or Penmaenmawr challenging as the waves surge up the slipway.
Saying that, it can be inaccurate in a good way. Right now Windy says the wind is 12kt from the NW, gusting 21kt with 0.7m waves.
Also just checked the met inshore forecast and that says force 4-6 backing 3-4 over next 24 hours, with drizzle. So that is way out!
Hi PA, have I found a new best friend in North Wales??????
Joking a side would you object to me sending you a PM the day before I was thinking of coming over?
Old 09 September 2020, 08:28   #15

No problem! If I don't answer you will know that I am probably out enjoying the calm waters, or, maybe out surfing
Old 09 September 2020, 08:30   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi PA, have I found a new best friend in North Wales??????
Joking a side would you object to me sending you a PM the day before I was thinking of coming over?
No objections at all
Old 09 September 2020, 08:34   #17

Thanks PA
Old 09 September 2020, 09:32   #18

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>a real person living right next to the coast looking out of his window in real time

Of course they aren't located in every area but webcams are also very useful as are any local Coastwatch stations where the weather instrument data is shown online in real time.

For example Brixham and Torbay area is well covered by webcams with great image quality... Brixham Harbour Live Streaming Webcam

Or Teignmouth here... Teignmouth NCI - Dual Live Webcams at Eastcliff

And their live weather here... click on each dial for the trend graphs... Teignmouth NCI - Live Weather at Eastcliff
Old 09 September 2020, 10:42   #19

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> make a snap decision to drive the 2 hours to Conwy, Menai without being disappointed when I get there.

Your launch location of choice gives you a similar drive to us. We are about two hours from driveway to parked up at our chosen place. Add on an hour to get and mix fuel... load the car etc it's three hours plus the same in reverse at the end of the trip plus at least an hour the next day washing and repacking everything.

So judging weather is pretty crucial to avoid arriving and finding conditions too unpleasant for a meaningful run out.

I just use a combination of BBC land weather forecast and Meteoconsult marine weather. It's just one I've settled to understanding what it means in real sea conditions...

https://marine.meteoconsult.co.uk/ma...ham-4358-0.php

For me a plan B is always in my mind so we try and pick launch locations where there is a quieter second option if the weather is more lively than expected... such as the choice to launch and head to open sea of the other way up a calm estuary for plan B.

I have to say when we changed to the Aerotec it helped loads over previous SIBs for our comfort and feeling of confidence so we are able to set off for the coast these days in a greater range of conditions.
Old 09 September 2020, 10:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>a real person living right next to the coast looking out of his window in real time

Of course they aren't located in every area but webcams are also very useful as are any local Coastwatch stations where the weather instrument data is shown online in real time.

For example Brixham and Torbay area is well covered by webcams with great image quality... Brixham Harbour Live Streaming Webcam

Or Teignmouth here... Teignmouth NCI - Dual Live Webcams at Eastcliff

And their live weather here... click on each dial for the trend graphs... Teignmouth NCI - Live Weather at Eastcliff
Thanks Mr F, I didn't even think about luce webcams.