Old 06 May 2012, 14:33   #1

Town: Cheshire
Make: Sea-Swift
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2Stroke
Screw or Bolt through..Launch Wheels?

Quick question... have had to take off launching wheels fitted by prev owner on my SeaSwift 360.. bracket in wrong place to they foul on the transom. Brackets were fitted with 32mm stainless screws.. well 3x32mm and 1x25mm on each side Think he must have run out of long ones!The transom is 40mm thick, looking at the potential load on the brackets...floor in SIB, Engine hanging on back, fuel etc I'm not convinced that screws are enough and think 50mm bolts with nice big washers on the inside of the transom a safer option... what do those that have launch wheels think? And how did you do it?? Thanks in anticipation...

Chris
Old 06 May 2012, 14:37   #2

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
I bolted all the way through with washers on my old sib. Sikaflex'd the holes to waterproof them. Your right in thinking the screws might not hold it and the sake of a few bolts and washers you'll have peace of mind that it will hold.
Old 06 May 2012, 15:13   #3

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/launchi...-ae-47840.html interesting thread i bolted through with washers but ensure you don`t foul the turning circle of the outboard ... how did you get on with your impellor ?
Old 06 May 2012, 18:28   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I would highly recommend stainless bolts. I used 3/8" bolts on mine, but it is a lot heavier.
Old 06 May 2012, 20:08   #5

Town: Cheshire
Make: Sea-Swift
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/launchi...-ae-47840.html interesting thread i bolted through with washers but ensure you don`t foul the turning circle of the outboard ... how did you get on with your impellor ?

Thanks for responses so far... looking at how they had been fitted (ie Badly!)
I couldnt see the screws being strong enough when extra weight of floor and engine added so you have all confirmed my own thoughts of bolt all the way through with some nice washers on the back... no point in having launch wheels if they keep falling off!

As for the outboard... dropped the gearbox off today and the impeller doesnt actually look that bad...but I'm going to put a new one in, poke all the holes I can find with long bits of wire and try it again...although I do have a manual in italian with some schematics so need to see if theres a thermostat hiding away in there somewhere and test that..
Watch this space!

Chris