Old 28 November 2018, 18:15   #21

Town: san antonio
Boat name: SD385
Make: SATURN
Length: 4m +
Engine: OUTBOARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Back when I was doing repairs, under inflation damage was one of my biggest dependable sources of “high value” repairs. I was the only person in a 3 hour drive radius whom could do them, and the average bill for a partial cone blowout was about $500 USD.

In my years repairing inflatables, I have only repaired 3 boats with overpressure damage. Two blew due to inflation with SCBA. One zippered open due to a weak seam to begin with (CSM “Hypalon” with poor bond strength, the adhesive only adhered to the CR backside of the seam and not the CSM topcoating it was bonded to).
I have read the Thundercat folks put 6psi in their tubes, I believe most are running 1.2mmPVC and the inflatable SUP people are putting in 15psi in their drop stitch boards. I don't think 12psi in my drop stitch floor and 3.5psi in my tubes are going to be a problem.
Old 02 December 2018, 23:00   #22

Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Lil Red Corvette
Make: Saturn 365
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outbd Zuki 20EFI
Yowsa, you should definitely be able to get to the mid 20's with that the Tohatsu. The pitch may be your limiting factor but you aren't overrevving so probably isn't. The 385 is not wider than the 365, though it IS longer... I would think the extra surface area should actually help your overall speeds. If it were wider it might be a push... literally as you would be pushing more water in front of the boat.. unless it road higher still due to the increased surface area. Either way, I do believe you should be able to get to 24/25 easily. If you can play with prop pitch that should help (at least when one up). Though Im pretty sure I was getting solid 23/ just touching 24 with standard prop.... I was just overreving the engine to do so. Keep us advised. Chopperbill was the one who eventually convinced me to go the Zuki route a couple years back. I had a 15hp Johnson 2 stroke. One up I could just hit 21ish. 19 tops with two aboard and that was WOT drinking fuel like a somanaveech! I almost got a 385 to replace my then outgoing 365 but since im usually only one up and not getting any younger... opted for a straight replacement. The idea of 30mph on an inflatable sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO inviting... that was/ is my ultimate goal. WHen I can go the route of a trailer im thinking a 16 footer with 30 to 40hp! YEAHHHHH!!!!!
Old 03 December 2018, 00:44   #23

Town: san antonio
Boat name: SD385
Make: SATURN
Length: 4m +
Engine: OUTBOARD
SD385-keel, floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1 View Post
Yowsa, you should definitely be able to get to the mid 20's with that the Tohatsu. The pitch may be your limiting factor but you aren't overrevving so probably isn't. The 385 is not wider than the 365, though it IS longer... I would think the extra surface area should actually help your overall speeds. If it were wider it might be a push... literally as you would be pushing more water in front of the boat.. unless it road higher still due to the increased surface area. Either way, I do believe you should be able to get to 24/25 easily. If you can play with prop pitch that should help (at least when one up). Though Im pretty sure I was getting solid 23/ just touching 24 with standard prop.... I was just overreving the engine to do so. Keep us advised. Chopperbill was the one who eventually convinced me to go the Zuki route a couple years back. I had a 15hp Johnson 2 stroke. One up I could just hit 21ish. 19 tops with two aboard and that was WOT drinking fuel like a somanaveech! I almost got a 385 to replace my then outgoing 365 but since im usually only one up and not getting any younger... opted for a straight replacement. The idea of 30mph on an inflatable sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO inviting... that was/ is my ultimate goal. WHen I can go the route of a trailer im thinking a 16 footer with 30 to 40hp! YEAHHHHH!!!!!
The 20hp Tohatsu is freshly broken in so perhaps there is more potential eventually. I spun the prop bearing yesterday and had a chance to look at the actual pitch. It is 11.5p instead of what I claimed before a 10p which is the stock pitch shown on Tohatsu website. I ordered a 12p which should not make much difference. RPM max still around 5,500-5,600.
Yesterday 2up I got it up to 22mph but that was at extreme trim that was having a problem hooking into the water. 21mph realistically with two up.

I went the trailer route, modified jet ski trailer. I just could not do inflate/ deflate route each outing though I tried in the beginning. I don't trailer with the motor mounted. I did crack the transom trying to tilt the motor when it was being stubborn. The dolly wheel mounts is holding it together.

Not to sound pretentious but it is a throw away boat at the prices. I got the Vietnamese version at a $200 discount. Nothing wrong with it. Everything squares up to my non-nautical eye.

The boat is surprisingly dry. I thought it would be a wetter boat. It is a cool boat. I think I am going to bag it for the winter after this weekend. Even in S. Central TX it get's cold a few months out of the year. Next year it should be quite fun and am planing on a few Gulf Coast trips launching from the beach. At age 67 there is a little bit of trepidation for that adventure.
Old 02 January 2019, 18:22   #24

Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Lil Red Corvette
Make: Saturn 365
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outbd Zuki 20EFI
Hey yowsa,

sorry for the late reply... Holidays. Lol. I too got the Vietnam Special... no.. not THAT one. There are differences between this one and the old one.. That said, with the $200 off I also think of it as a "throw away boat" while hoping for the lifespan of the last one... nearly five HARD fishing seasons and too many fish fin holes to count, lol. Never cracked my old transom and i'm almost surprised that I didnt. Hopefully that is not indicative of anything. Most of the differences that I have found have been fit/ finish ones.

Like the air floor shape is a slight mismatch for the tube shape. Not horribly, but noticeably.. at least on my unit. I got it late in the year so I haven't had a chance to maiden voyage yet but I did use the time to make some mods. I'll post when I get a chance.

The boats are definitely dry in all but a wind and wave condition under which ANY low riding boat will be significantly wetter. Being a number of years your junior it pleases me to find that you, and other boaters like Chopper Bill are still out "doing the do". Lol. Had my first shoulder surgery at 52 (little under 2 years ago) and am always concerned that the ravages of time will cut my boating short sooner than later. There IS hope!

As for your speed of 21 mph, two up... that's hopeful. you should pick up at least 2 to 3 mph going solo which really gets you in the ballpark for top speed with this set up. I Think one up you should be in the 23.5 to 26 range, with allowances for temperature and altitude.