Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Salcombe

Hi
Three of us in Honwave 3.8’s with 15hp outboards are staying in at Salcombe
during the first half of July. If you are local or have been there before we would appreciate some advice regarding launching, mooring, parking, places to go etc?
I have no doubt it won’t be cheap but we have spent the last few holidays in Falmouth and fancied a change! Thanks in advance.
Old 15 March 2022, 20:36   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
I would avoid Whitestrand pontoon like the plague and the boat park is ideal but SO expensive and an ever present theft risk (although it never seems to happen). I chose to store my SIB on South Sands beach for free under the hotel veranda and locked to it. There's CCTV on it and I also used a cover since my new Excel was the most desirable boat. I removed everything that was loose. Parking is dreadful, even on North Sands where there's a car park. You need to pay harbour dues and unlimited slipway use is included in that. Batson Creek's the best place to park so if you're inflating each day then that's the place to launch.

Places to go in a SIB is going to be limited by weather and tide, and you've got overfalls in both directions, Start Point and Bolt Tail near Hope Cove which is another good place to launch since it's in Bigbury Bay. Parking is free on the side of the road down the hill. Pub lunch at Kingsbridge is nice, you have to go with the tide.

Salcombe is central by car to Dartmouth and Plymouth, excellent river trips. Dart to Totnes and Tamar to Calstock. Launch at the Upper Ferry or Mountbatten Slip. We never launched at Brixham, seems better for shopping than sibbing.

Next time I'm down there I intend to check out Eddystone lighthouse from Salcombe but I wouldn't recommend that by SIB, the shorter route from Plymouth instead.

Remember to share your photos!
Old 16 March 2022, 08:17   #3

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Great - thanks a lot for that gives us something to work on