Old 24 March 2012, 20:41   #1

Length: under 3m
RYA Level 2 for launching on Wirral beaches

Hi
I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me.

To launch boats on the Wirral using the launch ways you need a council permit and to gain this permit you need RYA level 2 powerboat.

Would you need to have this permit if you were launching a 2.6m SIB with a 4hp motor from the beach? I have insurance, VHF radio, GPS, life jacket etc and am quite aware of the tides and safety aspects needed when going out, to be fair I wouldnt be going that far out anyway (just fancy doing a bit of fishing a few hundred yards from shore) Would probably be going out around the Leasowe Bay, Meols, West Kirby area.

I dont really fancy spending the £200 on the course to gain the permit if I dont really need it, but then again I dont wont to get pulled by someone for not having it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 24 March 2012, 20:49   #2

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
I think you need this to gain access to the slipway, I also want to launch from the same area but like you don't have pb2 certificate
Old 24 March 2012, 20:58   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I don't know anything about the local rules in the wirral and of course the council can impose whatever rules they want on land/slipways that they own. I'd have thought they were most interested in protecting people close to the shore so the fact you aren't going far will be of little interest.

If you already have all the background knowledge and skills needed for pb2 you can do a direct assessment (half day?) Which should be significantly cheaper. Of course you need to be good enough to pass without extra training!
Old 24 March 2012, 21:00   #4

Town: Coppull / Lligwy bay.
Boat name: Summer Blues
Make: Ribquest
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
MMSI: 235092012
evening all, it might be worth while looking at details again, council run slipways offer a discount if you have a pb2, with regards to launching a 2.6 with a 4hp i beleave you only pay for launching with anything over 9.9hp ?
Old 25 March 2012, 22:23   #5

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honda
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude E Tec 25hp
Wirral

The Wirral require slipways need RYA level 2 to launch are apparently managed by subcontractors, Safewater Training, who can offer a full range of power boat proficence courses.

Seems a cosy agreement. I have used Moels of of season, had my first outing of the year today. Flat calm and blue skys.

Three days training before you can use the slip seems excessive, North and Mid Wales public slipways need registrations but no qualifications.

Cant bleive all the day fishing boats that use New Brighton all have the quals.
Old 25 March 2012, 23:16   #6

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
i wouldn`t divulge that you have a vhf radio ,a mobile phone should be sufficient though i wouldn`t care about any licences if i needed to use one in an emergency.. an anchor and a coupla life jackets may be more sensible that close to shore
Old 26 March 2012, 08:21   #7

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Sounds like your not the only one in the area who may need the PBL2. Why not post on Ribnet and try to get a group together to take the course at the same time. It may get you a further discount on a group booking, especially if as Polwart says its for the half day option with no additional training.

It's not just about getting the permit. You'll get discount on some insurance which may well come in handy if you decide to upgrade
Old 26 March 2012, 09:43   #8

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
my old man runs a school - may be worth comparing prices?:

North Wales Power and Sail - North Wales Power and Sail

all the best
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2012, 12:52   #9

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 20HP
Don't forget the club membership that you must have to launch. It's a nightmare. I just go to N Wales instead.

Launching at New Brighton | Safe water Training
Old 23 April 2012, 15:29   #10

Town: wirral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Sounds like your not the only one in the area who may need the PBL2. Why not post on Ribnet and try to get a group together to take the course at the same time. It may get you a further discount on a group booking, especially if as Polwart says its for the half day option with no additional training.

It's not just about getting the permit. You'll get discount on some insurance which may well come in handy if you decide to upgrade
the sailing centre at west kirby offer the course and is council run, you can get discount if you have the wirral passprt, even those who live outside wirral can get a cat c one which gives 10% off, when i did mine 2 years ago it was £160 full price, we did the sat all day and the sunday was little over half day

the discount you get is 50% if you are in a recognised club, nothing to do with pbl2, and its a requirement - no pbl2 no permit, and if the lifegurads are at the 3 slipways that you can use arround the wirral... no access to the slipway and they are strict!
Old 23 April 2012, 15:30   #11

oh i forgot, safewater have their own club you can join for the permit discount, 25 quid to join and 10 a year to renew, cash only....
Old 23 April 2012, 15:35   #12

just seen you have 4hp, well you only need 6hp as a minimum before you need a permit, so you have a choice

either 1/. park up and carry your boat down onto the beach set up put your engine on and drag into the water

or

2/. get the permit and drive onto the beach and launch.. up to you

want to know anymore pm me and ill divulge my experiences instaed of using up thread space!!!
Old 23 April 2012, 15:38   #13

I'm considering doing PB2 course sometime this year, wondering if there's a few people interested if we could negotiate some discount
Old 23 April 2012, 15:48   #14

Town: Plymouth / Portsmouth
Not sure of your personal policy fish tank but my boat insurance also states the coxswain must be at least RYA L1 for the insurance to be valid. Seems to an increasing amount of companies and slipways etc requiring boaters to have an RYA Qual.

I'd just do the course and then you will have no future issues and in the event of any future incident you will have a qualification that proves competence.

I know its additional cost you dont want to pay but it is the way it seems to be going everywhere now, and in honesty if everyone on the water held a nationally recognised benchmark level of training that has to be good for all of us?
Old 23 April 2012, 16:12   #15

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Sounds like a complete racket to me.

Should keep the anoraks in work, though.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2012, 17:14   #16

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
to be fair, safewater training are a good bunch of lads and i doubt they make much, if anything, out of running the council registration, in fact they are prbably doing anyone who does register a favour, just imagine how much it would cost if the council did it themselves
as for the "club" safewater run, they are doing it to help YOU out, as if you belong to a local club you get the discount, and how many of us belong to a club?
during the season all of the local slips are manned by the beech patrol, who have to follow the council policy, so everyone needs a permit, including the fishing lads, if they launch or recover during the beech patrol hours. new brighton is a bit of a free for all out of hrs. if you are launching with a small sib/rib with upto 9hp (i think), then as long as you can launch without your motor you will be ok, even better if you just have the launching wheels on your transom as you won't need to find room to park your trailer
but, to be brutally honest, why would you want to in the 1st place? as someone else has already said, get yourselves to nth wales, there's loads of places to launch, much better scenery and better fishing too. i've lived on the wirral all my life, it's a great place, but i do my boating in the menai and surrounding area, much better
you won't get this view from the wirral:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0057.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	67441  
Old 23 April 2012, 17:21   #17

I travel all over the wirral with my job and most of its nice, but agreed the sea/beaches are not a patch on Anglesey, some photos taken in north Wales could be mistaken for the Med in spain

Sent from my xoom using Rib.net
Old 26 April 2012, 16:11   #18

Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honda
Engine: Evinrude E Tec 25hp
Wirral beaches

The lads at Safe Water do seem like a good bunch did my VHF course yesterday, and I am doing my PB2 in two weeks.

Will be able to launch from Wirral slips but getting some training can't be a bad thing. Hopefully will pick up some local knowledge as well as have a fun few days.

Andy
Old 26 April 2012, 16:50   #19

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynw View Post
The lads at Safe Water do seem like a good bunch did my VHF course yesterday, and I am doing my PB2 in two weeks.

Will be able to launch from Wirral slips but getting some training can't be a bad thing. Hopefully will pick up some local knowledge as well as have a fun few days.

Andy
Old 26 April 2012, 17:54   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: ship called DIGNATTY
Make: Europa Sport 3.3m
Engine: Mercury 20HP
Send a message via Skype™ to Natalie123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_tank View Post
Hi
I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me.

To launch boats on the Wirral using the launch ways you need a council permit and to gain this permit you need RYA level 2 powerboat.

Would you need to have this permit if you were launching a 2.6m SIB with a 4hp motor from the beach? I have insurance, VHF radio, GPS, life jacket etc and am quite aware of the tides and safety aspects needed when going out, to be fair I wouldnt be going that far out anyway (just fancy doing a bit of fishing a few hundred yards from shore) Would probably be going out around the Leasowe Bay, Meols, West Kirby area.

I dont really fancy spending the £200 on the course to gain the permit if I dont really need it, but then again I dont wont to get pulled by someone for not having it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Not sure which side of the River you are on but I did my RYA 2 with Safewater at New Brighton and also procured the Wirral permit. I later found out that I could have taken the RYA 2 at Liverpool Sailing club - much nearer, convenient and membership fees extremely reasonable. Oh and a great facility

Liverpool SC

(Based on the north shore of the River Mersey near Liverpool Airport - it is a family club open to all types of watersport activites)

(very reasonable membership - you can launch onto the Mersey anytime....within reason of course!! )
Natalie123 is offline   Reply With Quote