Old 10 December 2020, 23:13   #1

Town: Waterloo
Length: 3m +
Rope or Handles for SIB

Hi There,

I am in the process of trying to decide on a SIB for our family of four (kids are 9 and 11) to do some exploring around the lakes of South Western Ontario, Canada. We wouldn't go out too far on the Great Lakes. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Seabright 320 (boats are made by the Highfield) and a Highfield RU320. The boats have similar specs (max 15 HP). The main difference seems to be that the Highfield has handles and the Seabright has a rope around the outside.

I've never owned a SIB or RIB before nor have I ridden in one, but I understand that people spend a lot of time sitting on the pontoons. Obviously you can't sit on a handle but the Highfield has gaps between the handles to sit. The rope on the Seabright is threaded through a flap. So, is this rope/flap comfortable to sit on? Are there other considerations here that I'm not thinking of with regards to the handles?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Old 11 December 2020, 05:58   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Hi,

The fact that at various times, various reputable manufacturers have used each system shows that both systems work.

Personally, if I had found a suitable boat with ropes, I would have bought it. This is because I find it easier to climb back on board using ropes rather than a fixed handle. I do a lot of swimming and snorkelling from the boat.

However, at the time, the best option for me in terms of size, price, availability, was one with handles. It works perfectly OK, but climbing back on board is a bit more of an effort.

In terms of sitting on the side tubes, ropes will give you more choice of position, but the handle will feel a bit more secure.

You may be overthinking this. Either will work.

Rules of SIBs:
On the water, the bigger boat is usually better.
For the rest of the time, the smaller boat is more convenient to store and transport.
You don't spend as much time going flat out fast as you expect, and fun can be had with a smaller, lighter engine.
Fat tubes give a dryer ride.
The number of opinions is N+1 where N is the number of enthusiasts you ask.
Old 12 December 2020, 12:02   #3

Town: Waterloo
Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I am almost certainly overthinking this. It's a bit of a habit for me I've been mulling this decision for months, partly because I am indecisive and partly because I won't be able to use the boat until May or June anyway.

I hadn't considered the ease of re-entry factor so thanks for pointing that out. We plan to use the boat to do some tubing with the kids, so this will certainly come into play for us. I think I am going to go with the Seabright that has the ropes.

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 12 December 2020, 16:55   #4

Town: Eastbourne
Also you could glue some handles on at a later date?
Old 12 December 2020, 17:18   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My SIB has a continuous rope lifeline all around the tube top. In addition there are handles glued at strategic points below the “seating” line. Generally speaking, ropes are for hanging onto whilst underway & re-boarding after going for a swim, whereas handles are for holding the boat whilst launching/recovering etc.
That’s my take on it anyway.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 22:29   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
My SIB has a continuous rope lifeline all around the tube top. In addition there are handles glued at strategic points below the “seating” line. Generally speaking, ropes are for hanging onto whilst underway & re-boarding after going for a swim, whereas handles are for holding the boat whilst launching/recovering etc.
That’s my take on it anyway.
Absolutely

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sib