Old 14 August 2009, 17:29   #1

Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
RNLI Training with Everyone

Hey Guys, I had an idea, I thought that maybe one or two times a year the Queensferry RNLI in Scotland located beside the Forth Bridges could come together with Ribbers, Yatchsmen, and anybody else who I havent named! And train alongside the them to increase there knowledge and understanding of the area as well as improve there overall boat handling. This could involve the every one that have there own boats, or could borrow a boat! It would be like a big masive training day or two!

What do you folk out here on Ribnet think of this! I think it would be a great day, and would have many people involved and hopefully have a great outcome!

Ofcourse this could be a 2 year trial, and after the trial is up, there could be an RNLI and RYA evaluation, and hopefully spread it over a larger distance of Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland, eventualy

Lets hear what you think about this!
Old 14 August 2009, 18:22   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
its been thought of before over the years but usually comes up with the fact that r.y.a training schools are set up for that purpose of people wanting to go a bit further with their experience ,the r.n.l.i use the r.y.a basic system of crew training anyhow ,another problem perhaps is using an operational station for training purposes,even lifeboat open days can be frowned upon and have to coincide with the rules /regulations ,for general public and even certain staff members of the rnli , even if it was within the intrest of saving lives at sea. ,,,i dont see why a sea safety day though couldent be organised using the rnli sea safety road show type thing lifejacket clinic /flare demo ,,,problem is too is that if someone /general public said they had had training from the rnli and an accident occoured later and the outcome was in the press / that i went on a training day with the rnli /it could back fire on them .
Old 14 August 2009, 18:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
its been thought of before over the years but usually comes up with the fact that r.y.a training schools are set up for that purpose of people wanting to go a bit further with their experience ,the r.n.l.i use the r.y.a basic system of crew training anyhow ,another problem perhaps is using an operational station for training purposes,even lifeboat open days can be frowned upon and have to coincide with the rules /regulations ,for general public and even certain staff members of the rnli , even if it was within the intrest of saving lives at sea. ,,,i dont see why a sea safety day though couldent be organised using the rnli sea safety road show type thing lifejacket clinic /flare demo ,,,problem is too is that if someone /general public said they had had training from the rnli and an accident occoured later and the outcome was in the press / that i went on a training day with the rnli /it could back fire on them .
I know what you mean, but the RYA courses stop at the Level Two Powerboat untill your sixteen which is slightly iritating, and this could keep the interest going for youngsters, Alot of things can back fire, but your not actually getting trained by the RNLI you are whats the word letting the RNLI practice there skills on you! And along side this you are picking up skills that you might not other wise manage to get! Unless you join the RNLI, which if these were to go along with could increase the number of RNLI volunteers!
Old 14 August 2009, 19:39   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You could always widen your "nautical knowledge" away from small powerboats, e.g.

http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestrainin...runder16s.aspx
http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestrainin...runder16s.aspx

Wouldn't have thought the navigation/theory courses would have age restrictions.

I know one school which went beyond the content of the RYA PB2 course for the training they put into people getting involved in the Honda Youth RIB challenge - so even if there is no certificate at the end there is no reason why you can't get instruction.
Old 14 August 2009, 20:21   #5

I want to do my radar, diesl engine, vhf courses, but they are all restricted to 16+! Its anouying
Old 14 August 2009, 20:30   #6

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
And train alongside the them to increase there knowledge and understanding of the area as well as improve there overall boat handling.
It would be like a big masive training day or two!
Quote:
but your not actually getting trained by the RNLI
Sorry severncoxswain, you've lost me here. Who do you see providing this training?

Quote:
And along side this you are picking up skills that you might not other wise manage to get
I just don't see how this would work in the way you've suggested. For the very good reasons already posted, the RNLI is very unlikely to provide training. However, the RYA in Scotland does offer a very similar option - "Powerboat Scotland" was initiated by RYA Scotland to encourage groups of powerboaters to get together and do things in a group under RYA supervision that they might be reluctant to try by themselves. They'll even arrange to have an RYA instructor join you on board your own boat and give you some coaching during the event. There are some details on their website - not much, I think it needs updating, but you could try phoning their office in Edinburgh to see if there is anything arranged
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 20:34   #7

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
I want to do my radar, diesl engine, vhf courses, but they are all restricted to 16+! Its anouying
Give me a call - I may be able to help you be less annoyed
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 20:38   #8
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Elie & Earlsferry Sailing Club (http://www.eesc.org.uk) has a powerboat section, we are actively encouraging the training of everybody, This is through RYA Training Courses, informal training night that include the Honda Youth RIB, We ran a Sea Safety Day on June, Which included a talk from myself about SOLAS V for pleasure boat users, the lastest safety technology (45mins), then it was passed over to another person who talk about - Boat safety on Water, Man overboard, Mooring etc (60 Mins) and then we had a Lifejacket Clinic and Live Flare demostration from the RNLI Sea Safety Team.

The Weather took turn for worse so the second part did no go ahead, that was on water practical of morning theory, this has been now on a later day. We invited opened this event to every body that we could contact and have people from a few local clubs attending too.

This event had both Yachts People, Powerboaters & PWC's.

We find best training is to meet regular in a club and cruise in a group. Hence we hold at least 1 open cruise event a year open (powerboat scotland Event) to everybody, but if anybody lets us know in advance they more than welcome to come along and join us.

We have organised RYA VHF , Diesel , Basic Sea Survival , RYA Level II , First Aid and we in process of trying to arrange day/coastal Skipper courses. ( Ian W., Seaskills provides some of this training along with others).

S.

PS. Anstruther Muster (Yacht Event) this weekend 1000hrs -1600hrs , has Boat Jumble and and RNLI Sea Safety Team will be there doing a Lifejacket Clinic bring your lifejacket along and get it checked, or just come along and ask us some questions.

S.
Old 14 August 2009, 20:45   #9

Yeah I would b going to the Anstruther Muster this year, but sadly, I can't but am hoppin to go nxt year with some lads! The problem with the courses is that I'm not Sixteen! Which bugs me when I cant do the courses that I want to do! Only if *dreams*
Old 14 August 2009, 20:52   #10
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Ian W. aka Seaskills is the best person to advise about RYA Courses.

S.
Old 14 August 2009, 21:18   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Yeah I would b going to the Anstruther Muster this year, but sadly, I can't but am hoppin to go nxt year with some lads! The problem with the courses is that I'm not Sixteen! Which bugs me when I cant do the courses that I want to do! Only if *dreams*
How long till your sixteen?
Why not go along to your local RNLI station with a view to joining the crew and get some training there?
Old 14 August 2009, 21:34   #12

Another two years and 3 months or something, 2nd of November is wen my b'day is! Yeah I would but the problem is a live 30mins away!
Old 14 August 2009, 21:48   #13

If you explain your situation and say you realise you live toofar away to be crew but would like to help out on exercises as a shorehelper and learn the basics I'm sure they would help?
Old 14 August 2009, 22:22   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
chewys right,suprizing how many shore crew and tractor drivers lived in leeds and bradford areas at one time, if they had a caravan at the coast ,,it gave the local crew a bit of time off on a weekend , one shore crew member lives or did live over 70 miles away from the sea high in the pennines but he used to turn out even in the middle of the night ,he would usually get there to ready skids for the hard task of recovering the mersey class boat back up the beach.
Old 15 August 2009, 13:09   #15

Yeah am also only 14!
Old 15 August 2009, 13:12   #16

30mins walk or in a car?
If you want to learn stuff then that would be the way to go. Otherwise just wait till your sixteen.
Old 15 August 2009, 14:03   #17
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Yeah am also only 14!
Well it's good you've got a keen interest. Stick with it and learn as much as you can from reading, talking with crew etc. That way when you can join you'll hit the floor running as far as training goes. Best of luck with it
Old 15 August 2009, 15:03   #18

Yeah totaly ryt mate, 30 minutes car drive! Well I do have a few friends within the RNLI some that are crew others that are officey people! I've always had a keen intrerest in things like the RNLI and boats!
Old 27 October 2009, 09:58   #19

Town: tralee
Boat name: clareryan
Make: humber
Engine: mercury/outboard
rnli training with everyone

hi im a coxswain/instructer with an inshore rescue unit and rib owner down in the south west coast of ireland and we run info days here for local boat owners/fishermen and pleasure, jet skis, we cover radio opperation, safety at sea, boat handling, life jackets, proceadures for rescue calls etc. we try and work as closely as possible with all and find that we have built up a fantastic working relationship with all, makes us more accesable and has reduced our "stupid" call list by two thirds.we also have a massive response if and when we need extra personell/boats for the larger calls