Old 14 July 2016, 21:09   #21

Town: North Wales
Boat name: Y Class
Make: Avon Ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Really enjoyed it myself. Couldn't get much closer to the TV when they got wiped off the rocks. The helm did a great job in bringing the boat in, couldn't see if he did mount the rock.
Great job looking forward to next weeks episode.

Ex RNLI Y-94
Ex RNLI D class
Old 14 July 2016, 22:01   #22

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Blackpool has two D class and an Atlantic 85 rib. I suspect one or both of the other boats were also on the shout, or were crewed up and standing by. Even at a single boat station shore crew and boat crew that didn't make it onto the boat will hang about ready to wash down and refuel the boat (and refuel the crew!). Nobody is going to want to leave the station and head home until the boat is safely back home.

Flare would be the best way of alerting them and getting the fastest response.
I disagree with your last point, simply because it requires someone seeing it (the flare) and knowing what to do. I'm surprised they haven't come up with a more 21st century solution like PLBs or even a VHF on every crewman.
Old 15 July 2016, 06:46   #23

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I disagree with your last point, simply because it requires someone seeing it (the flare) and knowing what to do. I'm surprised they haven't come up with a more 21st century solution like PLBs or even a VHF on every crewman.
ILB crew carry PLBs. They are a great safety aid but the response time is far from instantaneous - you could be looking at 10 to 15 minutes before the coastguard page the lifeboat station. Not the easiest thing to hold in the correct orientation and if you end up under the pier you have lost comms. You could be under the pier before the PLB has sent a message.

AIS PLBS are great but there are limitations, not least AIS coverage blackspots close inshore. Last time I looked 406 PLBS are the only approved ones.

ILB crew are on the limit of what they can carry without creating snag hazards etc which is why they don't routinely carry handheld VHFs - they are in grab bags on the boat.

Totally agree about the limitations of flares, but in this particular case the crew knew that they were being watched by people who did know what the flare meant and who had the means to respond to it directly - the lifeboat shore and boat crew.
Old 15 July 2016, 10:49   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
you'd think that something like an EPIRB fixed to the boat sends an alarm when the boats upside down would be the way to go they could soon cancel it if they righted the boat and were safe or give a situation report.
Old 15 July 2016, 17:12   #25

Town: Kinross
Boat name: Spindrift
Make: Zodiac Futura FR Mk2
Engine: 20hp two stroke Yam
The sound of that Atlantic's gelcoat grinding off the rocks had me cringing. It's the one noise you never like to hear.
Old 19 July 2016, 22:03   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>but would they really leave a missing submerged crewman and swim away from the upturned sib. Ended up near / under pier structure yet upturned sib didn't drift with them. Perhaps missing something but doesn't feel quite right to me, although feel guilty even mentioning it.

As a Gov member of the RNLI for over 30yrs this left me wondering... so I enquired.

It seems in the edit events looked different to reality. Two important points...

The crew that capsized were already aware the other D-Class was just the other side of the pier so had their backs.

The helm who was stuck under the boat got out at the same time as the red flare was deployed but they chose not to reveal this... so he was actually out of immediate danger all during the footage of the two being swept under the pier then recovered.
Old 16 August 2016, 05:52   #27

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac Spindrift View Post
The sound of that Atlantic's gelcoat grinding off the rocks had me cringing. It's the one noise you never like to hear.
You've obviously never heard honeycomb glass/carbon fiber cracking, or maybe you have. Either way, it's just painful to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>but would they really leave a missing submerged crewman and swim away from the upturned sib. Ended up near / under pier structure yet upturned sib didn't drift with them. Perhaps missing something but doesn't feel quite right to me, although feel guilty even mentioning it.

As a Gov member of the RNLI for over 30yrs this left me wondering... so I enquired.

It seems in the edit events looked different to reality. Two important points...

The crew that capsized were already aware the other D-Class was just the other side of the pier so had their backs.

The helm who was stuck under the boat got out at the same time as the red flare was deployed but they chose not to reveal this... so he was actually out of immediate danger all during the footage of the two being swept under the pier then recovered.
Thanks for clarifying this. I didn't want to post on the video as no matter how carefully I phrased/enquired about it I'd probably come across as disrespectful. Also the I wasn't there/hindsight arguments are all valid etc.

I don't consider myself to have much boat experiance, but when I saw them leave their upturned boat I actually couldn't believe it. It's also fairly obvious their crewmate is underneath it.

I feel bad for just saying that but it would be true.

Everything else though, spot on. Especially the spearfish save, much respect and awe.

The only criticism of this series is that there are only four episodes!