Old 13 July 2014, 08:32   #1

Town: Berks
Boat name: zaros
Make: hondawave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 hp
RLNI Hotel

Hi
Just had a great birthday treat, stayed in the RNLI hotel and had the tour of the College followed the next morning a RIB trip round the Jurassic coast with Poole Sea Safari.
The Hotel and breakfast were great looking out over the water watching the boating world go by, having breakfast in the sun watching the new swing bridge and the Sunseeker boats.
The tour was not as expected, I was hoping for lots of talk about the boats, equipment and use. We got plenty of information about the RLNI and how it is funded and its costs and some on local history but the closest we got to a boat was about 10 m and had to ask all the time for detail on the boats but did get plenty of info on an Arun class moored on the other side on the bay. Did enjoy seeing the training pool, fyi the pool can be seen from free from a viewing platform adjacent to the road.
The highlight of the tour was the bridge simulator, it is fantastic if they ask for volunteers before you go in volunteer it makes it even better as you get more of a feel of the crews experience.
Parking until we got in the RLNI car park was a problem as the local car parks were limited to 1.5 hour no return and the tour takes longer - some people had to go early.
20 min walk in to Poole for a meal on the Quay in the sun, many nice places to eat had a job choosing.
Next morning after a hearty breakfast walked down to the Quay and found Poole Safari, great people got us all kitted up, brief safety talk and down to the RIB and off. The sun was out the sea calm and visibility was good. The crew gave us information on any interesting sights but basically left us to enjoy the ride which we did and the 90mins was over all too quickly.
A great birthday treat
Honwave
Old 14 July 2014, 20:37   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
RLNI Hotel

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1405369925.762054.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	96764
Got to agree i stayed a few months back to attend a conference & training sessions at the collage !what a fantastic view for me when i woke up at 5 am in the morning , latest Shannon class & the training fleet of Atlantics & D classes .