Old 27 September 2019, 07:46   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
River Tay in a Sib ?

Anyone been out or tried the river Tay , say from Dundee heading to Perth or beyond?
Is it possible and how far are you likely to get up the river if allowed at all. Even if it meant camping?
Old 27 September 2019, 08:50   #2

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Hi Scomich, I've made this trip twice, a great day out.
I launch at Broughty Ferry slip (free) before high tide, it's a great run with great scenery and views of the bridges not normally seen.
Once past the bridges make sure you keep to the navigable channel - do not go outside the markers, even a sib or F-Rib will get stuck!

Once you reach Perth, take the 2nd channel to the right which will take you to the city centre weir, you can ghen come back and use the Sea scouts pontoon to tie up and have a wander (only there during main season)
On the return trip I like to tie up at the pontoon under the Friarton bridge, don't completely shut the gate behind you in case you cannot get the code to re enter! You can get back with care around the side. The Cafe Restaurant by the fishing ponds does great food and coffee.
Send me a pm if you want company on a trip
Mike
Old 27 September 2019, 09:03   #3

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.
Can you do this leisurely at quite a slow pace , albeit I can plane , but my current outboard is only 6hp. Or would you suggest bigger engine for this trip. Thanks.
Scott.
Old 27 September 2019, 14:31   #4

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I’ve done that trip many times, I only live 3 miles from the slip, I wouldn’t fancy doing it with a 6hp though [emoji15]
Old 27 September 2019, 18:44   #5

RIBase
Broughty to Newbrugh can get a bit rough, especially in wind over tide conditions, however, if you are lucky to get zero to light wind conditions and get on the plae, it's doable for you. What size sib? If you wanted I could give you a run on my F-Rib 360/20hp or Smartwave 480cc/60hp - either up yhe Tay or a run out from Montrose, or of course a run out in company for safety? Where are you based?
Old 27 September 2019, 18:52   #6

I'm in Edinburgh. But have transport.
Albeit the yam 6 is small it's being doing me pretty proud out on the forth. Been as far as musselburgh and up to the bridges from Granton.
The Sib is a zodiac 325 fastroller with air floor 3.3 metres I believe.

And I'd say I've been out in some good chop. I can achieve planing speed no probs 1 up. With some gear and a full tank .
Covered 31 nm on half a tank . So maybe fuel would be an issue for me . But I'm sure a couple of Gerry cans would sort that out.
Old 27 September 2019, 19:25   #7

RIBase
Any doubters should have a look at what Donny (the Gurnard) does with a 6hp outboard - but also remember his experience and seamanship!

If fuel range is a worry, the extra jerry can of fuel would not upset my F-Rib. I'm waiting on my 20 to be serviced and ready for next week. I'm also just about recovered from some pretty serious health issues - but almost there now. Some of the best boating conditions I've encountered have been in the Autumn through to Spring. I probably get out more and do more fishing during that period, a good onesie fleece under a good dry suit and ready to go ��
Old 28 September 2019, 15:35   #8

Town: Forfar
Make: DSB Zephyr
Engine: outboard 40hp Yamaha
Hi Warder54 get well real soon,. I’m get my. boat for the summer next year after stroke in right side
Old 29 September 2019, 10:55   #9

Town: Fife
Boat name: Smackerel
Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Engine: DF20AS + F6CMH
I've done that trip once, with Mike as it goes, on a cold, but flat calm March day. We launched at Broughty Ferry and went up as far as the first road bridge in Perth, then turned around and headed back to The Ferry. Stopping for coffee at Willowgate Trout Fishery - excellent pontoons there.

Looking back at the stats for the trip, we clocked 51 miles over just under 3.5 hours averaging 14.8 mph.

Don't really remember anywhere to camp along the Tay, probably better places if that's the plan. We were 2 up in the T38, which had a slightly under inflated floor and burned about 15 / 16 litres of fuel through the DF20AS (was mostly 3/4 to WOT to try and keep up with Mike's F-Rib + 20hp and Ross' Ocean Runner 360 + 30hp).

It was a lovely trip and I'd do that again for sure.

P.S. Glad you're on the mend now Mike!
Old 05 October 2019, 14:00   #10

Hi i would recommend launching from Newburgh about 2 hrs either side of HW .I have been doing Broughty to Perth commercially for the last 2 years in the summer and it does get rough between Newburgh and Broughty ...
Go to the Willow gate cafe under the Friarton Bridge for lunch there is a pontoon that you are meant to call a number for landing but if you went to the cafe i wouldn't think anyone would object .I don't think its open Monday or Tuesday better check.
You can get round the golf course but watch the causeway at the top maybe an hour either side of hw .
Newburgh has a good slip ,pub and chippy and i've seen folk camping there as well and at Flisk point which is accessibly by boat.
Perth radio is 09 Perth sailing club 06 .Watch at the mouth of the Earn and stay in channel. Also large ships do come up about 1 a month.

I have done it a few times in a 290 from Lidl and a 6hp with 2 onboard I have used less than 8L for the round trip..hope this helps ...

Norrie

Tags
sib