Old 14 March 2012, 21:10   #1

Town: Towcester
Boat name: N/A
Make: Honwave T35
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20hp
River Launch Without Slipway

Hi,

I have a Honwave T35 with Honda BF20 and launching wheels.

I've noticed that there are not many slipways on the river nene near me.

Has anyone had any success launching without a slipway from the side of a river where there is a solid paved bank nearly level with the water (maybe 10 to 20cm above) ?

Regards,

Dominic
Old 14 March 2012, 22:03   #2

Town: Bedford
Make: Honwave 2.7 VIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard 4hp
Yep, I do this all the time, although I have a 2.7 air decked Honwave. I have no launching wheels though, so i just lift mine out of the car and walk it to where I'm putting it in them pump it up, set it all up, attach the outboard whilst on the bank,then slide it in gently whilst holding on to the mooring rope tightly! I quite often launch solo, and have found this to be the easiest way. With wheels you may find it easier.
Old 15 March 2012, 13:46   #3

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
We do the same with our Zodiac 2.8m boat.

We also launch this way on the canal, where the drop into the water can be 12 inches or more. To avoid any damage to the bottom of the boat I bought a plastic net sheet and I place this over the bank, and slide the boat in over the sheet, engine first.

When taking the boat out of the water we put the sheet over the bank, lift the front of the boat onto the bank, and then haul it out with the engine still attached.

We've never had any problems with this, and the boat hs never sustained any damage or even scratches to the keel.
Old 15 March 2012, 14:40   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Yep, one of the beauties of a SIB - pick it up and drop it in any little stretch of water. Maybe a bit more of a handful with a 3.5m and 20 hp 4S!
Old 15 March 2012, 16:56   #5

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Yep, one of the beauties of a SIB - pick it up and drop it in any little stretch of water. Maybe a bit more of a handful with a 3.5m and 20 hp 4S!
i would second that ,even with rib wheels i ussually attach a 10hp on afterwards...whatever i seem to do i get wet feet
Old 15 March 2012, 23:25   #6

Town: Towcester
Boat name: N/A
Make: Honwave T35
Engine: Honda 20hp
Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

I like the ideas I am hearing, my only concern is doing this with the weight of my aluminium floored T35 with the Honda BF20 (I know this is overpowered for UK rivers but wanted something for around the coastline as well).

I could attach the outboard afterwards, but it is pretty heavy and awkward even when standing up on dry land.

Dominic
Old 15 March 2012, 23:43   #7

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
failing a shallow entry i guess your looking at a plop n drop! it`s always tense when fitting the engine.. i tie the boat off (wifey) dangle my legs in and drop her on (not wifey) ,though i use my 5hp for rivers(which encourages some sensible driving) it is much lighter...i`m looking at chaining her onto the boat first this year in case it goes a burton
Old 16 March 2012, 07:35   #8

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I was not suggesting that we (or anyone else) carry the boat *with* the engine on - this would be very difficult with a 15hp 2S Tohatsu but near impossible with the huge 20hp 4S. Boat in first, engine on after.
Old 16 March 2012, 11:28   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Dominic is this on the Nene that runs through Peterborough? If so, and I guess all rivers are similar, the licence for a smallcraft over 4hp is pretty steep. About £70 for a 4hp but £250 for your motor!

I have a Honwave 3.5 and even with a 15hp 2-stroke it's uncomfortable to manage unless the transom wheels are used and we keep to hard slips.

The Honwave is quite heavy for its length being 70lbs more than many airdecks folks here are using, and your outboard is 30-45lbs heavier than the 9.8/15hp 2-strokes often used.

My inflatable use is mostly summer periods/holidays so I've only really used the river for a first run of the season to check the outboard is fine before we hit the coast, then a last run after the holiday period to give it a really good fresh water flush before laying up for the winter. Also use the river as practice when we change boats/engines.

This year I've baulked at the £250 river licence and may not renew from April.