Old 29 July 2022, 22:16   #1

River Dee Chester UK

Hi all

I have a sib 2.9 m and a 4hp Yamaha outboard.
I have only just bought the boat and wasn't aware of any license needed untill today when I got stopped by the river patrol who said it's only a small fee for my size of boat so I have just had a look and shocked at the price £20 for a day or over £500 for the year, I only want to take the boat out for an hour or so with my two children, this was in eccleston .
I take it that's the standard charge now for rivers around Cheshire.
Could anyone recommend anywhere else please?
Thanks 👍
Old 29 July 2022, 23:30   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Where have you read that its over £500 for the year? According to the website it's £130:-

https://www.cheshirewestandchester.g...-boat-licences
Old 30 July 2022, 00:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Where have you read that its over £500 for the year? According to the website it's £130:-

Hi Steve.
I got it from here , am guessing am looking at the wrong thing 🙈
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-07-30-01-38-23-28_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	141221  
Old 30 July 2022, 01:41   #4

Quote:

Also am just wondering a license is needed for a trolling motor as it's not a engine is it 🤔
Old 30 July 2022, 08:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib-2022 View Post
Also am just wondering a license is needed for a trolling motor as it's not a engine is it ��
Welcome to the "Ever Open Wallet" club

Unfortunately where you live does not give you many options for free or cheap days out. There is really only the Dee. All of North Wales councils have annual registration and launching fees. However you will find places to launch a small SIB with a small OB if you are setting up from the back of your car.

If the river is where you wish to spend most of your time I suppose a battery trolling motor would be ideal if you don't have to pay the licence fee.
I'd check with the council with regard to having to pay or not.

Personally I'd be cautious about forking out a lot of money on a trolling motor just so I could go on the same stretch of river, as nice as it is, a few times a year. From where you are I'd be travelling a bit further and go to Anglesey. Pay the £35 annual registration fee, find a few nice sheltered bays where you can beach launch and spend the day there, your kids would probably enjoy it more.
Old 30 July 2022, 13:34   #6

Quote:
Welcome to the "Ever Open Wallet" club

Unfortunately where you live does not give you many options for free or cheap days out. There is really only the Dee. All of North Wales councils have annual registration and launching fees. However you will find places to launch a small SIB with a small OB if you are setting up from the back of your car.

If the river is where you wish to spend most of your time I suppose a battery trolling motor would be ideal if you don't have to pay the licence fee.
I'd check with the council with regard to having to pay or not.

Personally I'd be cautious about forking out a lot of money on a trolling motor just so I could go on the same stretch of river, as nice as it is, a few times a year. From where you are I'd be travelling a bit further and go to Anglesey. Pay the £35 annual registration fee, find a few nice sheltered bays where you can beach launch and spend the day there, your kids would probably enjoy it more.
Hi Steve.
Thank you for the information it's really appreciate.
I will definitely look into going to Anglesey is it's not that far away from me , and like you say the kids will probably enjoy it more .
I take it the annual fee for Anglesey can be paid for online?
Thanks again for you help and advice

Paul
Old 30 July 2022, 13:49   #7

Yes you can pay online, £35 for the first year and £30 for subsequent years (you must have insurance) and for that you get a massive registration sticker which is supposed to go on your sib, but it will peel off the tubes. Put it on a board and tie those to the sib. As your OB is under 10hp I think you can launch anywhere on Anglesey & Gwynedd for free.

A good place to go with the kids would be Trearddur and Rhoscolyn (Borthwen) as they are both good beaches and sheltered bays. I was there a couple of weeks ago, here's a link to the video I did.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f16/rednec...ure-88593.html
Old 14 August 2022, 20:40   #8

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
We like Rhosneigr as we normally pay the annual launch fee which means we can park on the beach.
Some great places around Anglesey.
If you want to venture slightly further, ullswater in the lakes is lovely on a nice day.
Old 14 August 2022, 20:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzajnr View Post
We like Rhosneigr as we normally pay the annual launch fee which means we can park on the beach.
If you want to venture slightly further, ullswater in the lakes is lovely on a nice day.
Thought you was on holiday!
Old 14 August 2022, 21:09   #10

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzajnr View Post
I didn't know that the annual registration fee included parking on the beach at Rhosneigr?

If I recall you are into your fishing, have you ever fished between South Stack and North Stack? It looked a good spot?

https://www.rib.net/forum/f16/rednecks-holy-island-adventure-south-stack-and-north-stack-88667.html
Old 15 August 2022, 10:46   #11

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
I am on holiday in Devon at the moment.

I think you got me confused with someone else, not into fishing to be honest. Dabbled with it a bit in my younger days but I just don't have the patience!

As for parking on the beach, yes, if you are paid even on the daily launch you can park on the beach.

Makes life so much easier. Gets busy on good days peak season though and I've towed a lot of 2wd cars and vans off as it's very soft above high water line so if you do go, be careful!